Kevin Rayner

Default Motorised Valve

How can I tell whether the motorised valve on the hot water circuit is
working correctly. I have been having a few problems with cold water and
noticed that the manual/auto lever on the valve has no action. Operating the
lever on the central heating valve has some resistance and is working. The
lever on the HW valve has no resistance what so ever.
Do I need to replace the whole valve?

Kevin

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Kevin Rayner" writes:
How can I tell whether the motorised valve on the hot water circuit is
working correctly. I have been having a few problems with cold water and
noticed that the manual/auto lever on the valve has no action. Operating the
lever on the central heating valve has some resistance and is working. The
lever on the HW valve has no resistance what so ever.
Do I need to replace the whole valve?

I would expect that if the valve is open to heat the hot water.
If you switch the hot water off, the valve should close.
If it doesn't, try switching off the whole heating system which
should surely remove power from the motorised valve.
If that doesn't help, sounds like the valve is mechanically stuck.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Harry Bloomfield

On 25/01/2004 Kevin Rayner a wrote :
How can I tell whether the motorised valve on the hot water circuit is
working correctly. I have been having a few problems with cold water and
noticed that the manual/auto lever on the valve has no action. Operating the
lever on the central heating valve has some resistance and is working. The
lever on the HW valve has no resistance what so ever.
Do I need to replace the whole valve?

Kevin

You should be able to tell whether valves are working by simply feeling
the temperature of the pipes coming from the valve. Allow the system to
cool then set it to hot water and if necessary turn up the thermostat.
The pipe going to the valve and then on to your HW cylinder should
become hot.

Turn that off and select room heating, the pipe going to your radiators
should now become hot.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

MattP

If it is broke you may be lucky and be able to change just the motor. It
sounds like a mechanical device so you might be lucky (I had a horrible
turnscrew one..uhh!)

Take off the cover (careful of the eletrics - take precautions) and if the
motor is 'cam shape' then you wil be able to get one down your local BanQ
for £15. Otherwise off to the plumbers merchants.

If not then it's a new valve, cost £50 and go down to your plumbers
merchants, where you'll get proper advice.

The tricky part might be the wiring but there's replacement versions which
are easy to wire in, as is the plumbing if you know how to drain your
system.

Good luck.

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Combine Harvesters are EVil

Harry Bloomfield retched Motorised Valve onto my recliner:

[...]

I'll remember that. Should come in handy when I inherit your house.

--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

mutley

"Kevin Rayner" wrote in message
How can I tell whether the motorised valve on the hot water circuit is
working correctly. I have been having a few problems with cold water and
noticed that the manual/auto lever on the valve has no action. Operating

the
lever on the central heating valve has some resistance and is working. The
lever on the HW valve has no resistance what so ever.
Do I need to replace the whole valve?

Hopefully not unless the whole thing is seized.
If it's a Honeywell-type valve it is possible that the motor has packed up.
I have had them go about once in three years on average. A new actuator --
just the top part -- from Screwfix costs 8 quid and they are not too
difficult to fit. I keep a spare one in the house because they always go at
weekends. If the problem is no HW flow try opening the valve manually with
the lever: make sure the system and thermostats are 'on', then if HW comes
through it's probable the actuator has failed, especially if the flow ceases
when you allow the lever to run back under the spring. You probably know
that these valves can be kept open manually -- there is a cut out that the
lever can be 'parked' in.
HTH
mutley

CH System - what is this gate valve for? Colin M UK diy 7 November 25th 03 10:04 AM
Motorised Valve Question robf UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:12 AM
Central Heating Motorised Valve xtinexoop UK diy 9 October 3rd 03 11:33 AM
Leaving a Honeywell CH valve energised, wiring choices Toby UK diy 1 July 14th 03 06:20 PM