robf

Default Motorised Valve Question

I had always assumed that when I manually opened one of these valves
that the 'boiler ON' microswitch was activated.

I seem to remember manually driving my old heating system that way
once.

Looking at ones I have fitted now seems that the manual lever DOESNT
move the cam far enough to close the switch.

I guess when the motor controls it, it will.

Yes?

TIA
IMM

"robf" wrote in message
om...

I had always assumed that when I manually opened one of these valves
that the 'boiler ON' microswitch was activated.

I seem to remember manually driving my old heating system that way
once.

Looking at ones I have fitted now seems that the manual lever DOESNT
move the cam far enough to close the switch.

I guess when the motor controls it, it will.

Yes?

Yes, in most models. When you pull the motors manual lever across it hits
the microswitch and switches on the pump/boiler, then moves back to wedge
itself in the recess in the lever slot.

---

Christian McArdle

Looking at ones I have fitted now seems that the manual lever DOESNT
move the cam far enough to close the switch.

Yeah. Annoying isn't it! The instructions claim it is only an aid to
refilling/flushing. You can always add a manual switch (i.e. light switch)
across the microswitch terminals if you require a manual override to get the
boiler going.

Christian.

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...

Looking at ones I have fitted now seems that the manual lever DOESNT
move the cam far enough to close the switch.

Yeah. Annoying isn't it! The instructions claim it is only an aid to
refilling/flushing. You can always add a manual switch (i.e. light switch)
across the microswitch terminals if you require a manual override to get

the
boiler going.

If you are going to that extent, juts replace the valve motor head. Off the
shelf everywhere.

---

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

Looking at ones I have fitted now seems that the manual lever DOESNT
move the cam far enough to close the switch.

Yeah. Annoying isn't it! The instructions claim it is only an aid to
refilling/flushing. You can always add a manual switch (i.e. light switch)
across the microswitch terminals if you require a manual override to get the
boiler going.

My new ones don't, but some older ones I came across the other day do.

Puzzled the heck out of me.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

I can confirm that with a standard 'Honeywell type' zone vale the
microswitch DOSN'T operate when the valve is manually operated but
does when electrically driven. (Got eight of them in my system g)

Same with Myson Power Extra 2 port. No switch operation.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:

Looking at ones I have fitted now seems that the manual lever DOESNT
move the cam far enough to close the switch.

Yeah. Annoying isn't it! The instructions claim it is only an aid to
refilling/flushing. You can always add a manual switch (i.e. light

switch)

across the microswitch terminals if you require a manual override to get

the

boiler going.

My new ones don't, but some older ones I came across the other day do.

Puzzled the heck out of me.

What make?

I haven't a clue. They were in teh dark dingy recesses of someone elses
hot cupboard.

We were trying to work out why teh central heating wasn't working.

Eventually diagnosed to the master thermostat on the hall being behind a
picture immediately above a table lamp kicking out a lot of watts.

---