Paul GT

Default Hotpoint "First edition" Washing machine Noisy top speed spin

Hello there,
After a "day off" from work,(spent making and fitting shelves),My
better half informed me that the washing machine had been playing up
the day before.
After running it with nothing in the problem seems to be that when it
spins it becomes very noisy.
But it only happens upon reaching its maximum spin speed not "on the
way up to it".
I have checked out the information on Groups but am still unsure
whether it is a main bearing fault or something else.
If anybody could diagnose this please do!
Cheers,
Paul..
From the home town of Conan Doyle.
BigWallop

"Paul GT" wrote in message
om...
Hello there,
After a "day off" from work,(spent making and fitting shelves),My
better half informed me that the washing machine had been playing up
the day before.
After running it with nothing in the problem seems to be that when it
spins it becomes very noisy.
But it only happens upon reaching its maximum spin speed not "on the
way up to it".
I have checked out the information on Groups but am still unsure
whether it is a main bearing fault or something else.
If anybody could diagnose this please do!
Cheers,
Paul..

Hi Paul,

It could just be something that's come loose and needs tightened. The main
culprits are, the counter balance weight, normally a Breese block bolted to
the bottom of the outer tub. The spider on the back of the outer tub which
holds the bearings in place. The motor and its associated fittings and
fixtures. The main drive belt is loose, worn and needs replaced.

A simple test for a bearing problem is to open the door and waggle the inner
tub up and down. If it moves around freely, then it could be the main
bearings have shattered and need renewed. The motor can be tested in the
same way. Take hold of the armature that spins and shake it around. If it
moves around freely, then it is time to make plans to replace it.

Another simple test is on the shock absorbers that stop the drums from
banging against the inside of the machine and the floor. This is done by
taking the lid off the machine and pressing down on the top of the drum. If
the drum doesn't spring back up and meet your hand when you take the
pressure off, then it's time to have the buffers replaced.

Is there anything stuck between the inner and outer drums, I hear you ask.
This is checked by putting you head in the door, and with the help of a good
torch, look through the drainage holes of the inner drum to see if you can
spot anything you think shouldn't be in there.

Have any of the wiring loom management clips broken away from the casing of
the machine ? Once you have removed the lid and back plate from the
machine, follow the wiring from the main timer control along their lengths
and see if any are loose and banging against the side or the wheels or the
drums.

These should help you to make a start on what could be the possible simple
things to check for that will cause loud noises to emanate from your hard
worked appliance. And maybe, just maybe, one of these will be the thing
that is causing problems.

Good luck with it.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Paul GT

Thanks for the reply Mr Wallop!
I'll try a few of these tests soon.
Cheers,
Paul GT
Paul GT

Cheers for the reply.
I'll keep em peeled!!
Paul GT

Paul GT

Hello again,
I have now checked everything you suggested and I reckon it is all OK
.. I am not sure whether the drum has excessive play, but it shows no
signs of grinding or any bearing problems at all.
Is there anything else I could try? or shall I continue to "Run it
into the ground"!
Cheers,
Paul..