Liam

Default Hotpoint washing machine motor

Our Hotpoint WM63 Washer recently suddenly started making a LOT of noise
when spinning.

After removing the drive-belt I noticed that the motor shaft has a couple of
millimetres of radial play. Assuming that this is not a good sign I
extracted the motor and, having removed the through-bolts that hold the
motor casing together, discovered that the inside bearing race (belt-end) is
*not* attached to the motor shaft (in contrast to the bearing at the other
end). This seems odd to me, and there is also some evidence of shearing
where the inner side of this race meets an enlarged section of the shaft.
Considering the large radial force applied to the motor-shaft by the
drive-belt I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a weak-point in
the design.

But I don't want to be overconfident given the price of a new motor (around
£100). Am I on the right track here? Is this a known problem with these
motors? If so, can the motor be repaired?

BTW, the drum makes no obvious noise when turned by hand.

Also, is it worthwhile doing any other preventative maintainance on the
machine whilst I have the thing dismantled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Liam.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Liam" writes:
Our Hotpoint WM63 Washer recently suddenly started making a LOT of noise
when spinning.

After removing the drive-belt I noticed that the motor shaft has a couple of
millimetres of radial play. Assuming that this is not a good sign I
extracted the motor and, having removed the through-bolts that hold the
motor casing together, discovered that the inside bearing race (belt-end) is
*not* attached to the motor shaft (in contrast to the bearing at the other
end). This seems odd to me, and there is also some evidence of shearing
where the inner side of this race meets an enlarged section of the shaft.
Considering the large radial force applied to the motor-shaft by the
drive-belt I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a weak-point in
the design.

I wonder if the belt was adjusted too tight?
I've seen the alternator bearing fail in a car
when fan belt was too tight.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Tony Williams

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I wonder if the belt was adjusted too tight?
I've seen the alternator bearing fail in a car
when fan belt was too tight.

Common fault on the Hillman Imp afair.

Not as common as oil leaks from the transaxle though.

--
Tony Williams.
Mike Faithfull

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I wonder if the belt was adjusted too tight?
I've seen the alternator bearing fail in a car
when fan belt was too tight.

Common fault on the Hillman Imp afair.

Think you might find that it was the water pump that would fail ...
certainly was with my Imp(s) anyway!

geoff

In message , Tony Williams
writes
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I wonder if the belt was adjusted too tight?
I've seen the alternator bearing fail in a car
when fan belt was too tight.

Common fault on the Hillman Imp afair.

Not as common as oil leaks from the transaxle though.

Aah, but have you ever seen someone about to attempt to put 10 gallons
of petrol into the brake master cylinder?

She was lucky I was watching her at the time
--
geoff

geoff

In message , Mike
Faithfull writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I wonder if the belt was adjusted too tight?
I've seen the alternator bearing fail in a car
when fan belt was too tight.

Common fault on the Hillman Imp afair.

Think you might find that it was the water pump that would fail ...
certainly was with my Imp(s) anyway!

Followed by a warped head
--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:06:14 UTC, geoff wrote:

Aah, but have you ever seen someone about to attempt to put 10 gallons
of petrol into the brake master cylinder?

Indeed I have - several times...I worked on a forecourt for a while.

She was lucky I was watching her at the time

Same here...except just once when quite a bit of fuel was actually
delivered! And it was a 'she' on all but one occasion...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
geoff writes:

Aah, but have you ever seen someone about to attempt to put 10 gallons
of petrol into the brake master cylinder?

Watched someone trying to pour a gallon of oil down the dipstick
hole once...

--
Andrew Gabriel