Andy

Default Skirting

Hoe do i get the angle for mitre joints in my hexagonal bay window ? I
know you need a bevel and protractor, but is there a formula you
use....? Help
Set Square

Andy wrote:

Hoe do i get the angle for mitre joints in my hexagonal bay window ? I
know you need a bevel and protractor, but is there a formula you
use....? Help

If it's a regular hexagon, each internal angle will be 120 deg - so you will
need to cut your mitres at 60 degrees.

If it's any other angle, make a paper template to fit into a corner, measure
the angle with a protractor, and divide it by 2.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

BigWallop

"Andy" wrote in message om...
Hoe do i get the angle for mitre joints in my hexagonal bay window ? I
know you need a bevel and protractor, but is there a formula you
use....? Help

Screw two pieces of thin timber strip together and use them as an angle finder.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Peter Taylor

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
Hoe do i get the angle for mitre joints in my hexagonal bay window ? I
know you need a bevel and protractor, but is there a formula you
use....? Help

Using a formula is dangerous as the angles or lengths might not all be equal.
Why don't you just set the bevel to the internal angle of the existing skirting?
Then to get the angle of cut for the mitre, either measure this with the
protractor and divide by 2, or (even easier) mark the bevel angle onto paper,
cut it out and fold in half.

The formula for finding the internal angles of any _regular_ polygon is:
180° - (360° / No of sides)

Michael McNeil

"Andy" wrote in message
om

How do I get the angle for mitre joints in my hexagonal bay window? I
know you need a bevel and protractor, but is there a formula you
use....?

Follow the walls with two sets of parallel lines drawn on the floor.
Where the lines intersect is the angle you want.

I use a couple of scraps of different section a 2", say and a 4" or 5".
That will give me 2 parallel lines around each corner. A line drawn
through the points where these sets meet will divide the corner equally.
Put the bevel against a wall and open it to the bisecting line.

Christian McArdle

Hoe do i get the angle for mitre joints in my hexagonal bay window ? I
know you need a bevel and protractor, but is there a formula you
use....? Help

It may be better to do a butt and scribe join, not a mitre. (Although you'll
still need to cut one end at the required angle).

Christian.

Quick skirting board question John Greenwood UK diy 5 November 10th 03 03:13 PM
feeding wires from/to behind skirting NC UK diy 7 August 28th 03 04:02 PM
removing skirting 'neatly' ! NC UK diy 9 August 20th 03 01:44 PM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 05:59 PM
removing skirting boards Roger Mills UK diy 3 August 4th 03 04:42 PM