mickael

Default Kitchen work surface joining

I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

a) can I use a circular saw?

b) for a 600mm surface at right angles do I cut a straight line for , say,
580mm and then a 45 degree cut for the remainder?

c) in addition to the bolts pulling the surfaces together I have also seen
biscuit joins in some situations - how important is this?

MrCheerful

"mickael" wrote in message
I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

a) can I use a circular saw?

b) for a 600mm surface at right angles do I cut a straight line for , say,
580mm and then a 45 degree cut for the remainder?

c) in addition to the bolts pulling the surfaces together I have also seen
biscuit joins in some situations - how important is this?

to do this right you need a worktop cutting jig and a big router, anything
else will probably look awful

Alex

You need to use a special worktop jig and a router with a minium 1300 watt
motor,needs a bit of practise to do ,and setting up.Probably easier to get a
kitchen fitter or joinery shop to do it for you.

Peter Taylor

mickael wrote

I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

a) can I use a circular saw?

The problem I found with a circular saw is it cuts upwards so is always trying
to lift and chip the laminate. And if you turn the worktop over to avoid this
you can't see what you're doing. There is still a part of the blade going the
wrong way.

Have a go at this on a scrap piece first - carefully score the laminate with a
sharp Stanley knife and then cut close to it gently, using a fine hand saw. You
can use a small plane on the edge as long as it's sharp and set very finely.
Somebdy once told me to stick sellotape along the score line - I never tried
that.

b) for a 600mm surface at right angles do I cut a straight line for , say,
580mm and then a 45 degree cut for the remainder?

Yep - that's what I'd do for a rounded worktop

c) in addition to the bolts pulling the surfaces together I have also seen
biscuit joins in some situations - how important is this?

They keep the surface flush across the joint. Good idea, especially when the
worktop is not properly supported at the joint.

PoP

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:01:33 GMT, "MrCheerful"
wrote:

to do this right you need a worktop cutting jig and a big router, anything
else will probably look awful

If you leave out the word "probably" then your statement is very
accurate.

I bought the big router and worktop jig not so long ago. These aren't
toys.

Worktop jigs are available on ebay for about 50 smackers. I have no
idea of the quality because I went for the real McCoy.

PoP

The Natural Philosopher

mickael wrote:

I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

a) can I use a circular saw?

Its not a very good finish, even with a straight new fine tioothed blade.

These days I cut over size and finsish with a fine pass from a router
set at pull depth. Packing tape over the cut surface allows lines to be
easily drawn and helps prevent surface chipping.

b) for a 600mm surface at right angles do I cut a straight line for , say,
580mm and then a 45 degree cut for the remainder?

From memory, its a bit less than 20mm. More like 10mm - just enouh to
get proper mating on teh curved front edge. Its not pssible to rout the
internal angle, so a very fine fretsaw and chisel is used to clean up
the angle.

c) in addition to the bolts pulling the surfaces together I have also seen
biscuit joins in some situations - how important is this?

The only important thing is to get teh two bits immoveably clamped
together and a watertight seal. I have often done no more than screw a
batten underneath. I tend to use car body filler to glue them together
as well -waterproof, and suits my usual dark grey finishes well. If the
units are well mounted, and won't move, and teh tops are screwed down to
them, the batten is enough to stop the halves wobbling apart. If you do
have the routing jigs for the more complex ways - well why not sue em. I
think teh biscuits are there to senure vertical alignment so there is no
ridge. In my case, the join is suaually over a cupboard or void, and the
batteen does the same.

Any minor imperfections can be filled, by the way, with coloured epoxy
filler.

kitchenman

Hi Mikael & all.

If you are in my area give me a call.

All my details are here

www.kitchenman.info

Save money pay someone who knows how to do it.

--
regards
Dave Batter
"mickael" wrote in message
I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

a) can I use a circular saw?

b) for a 600mm surface at right angles do I cut a straight line for , say,
580mm and then a 45 degree cut for the remainder?

c) in addition to the bolts pulling the surfaces together I have also seen
biscuit joins in some situations - how important is this?

kitchenman

mickael wrote:

I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right

angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I

router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

Any minor imperfections can be filled, by the way, with coloured epoxy
filler.

If its done correctly there is no need for fillers

--
regards
Dave Batter
Kitchenman
www.kitchenman.co.uk
www.sxmitres.info
www.marks-family.co.uk
http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=5568652

Andrew Mawson

"kitchenman" wrote in message
Hi Mikael & all.

If you are in my area give me a call.

All my details are here

www.kitchenman.info

Save money pay someone who knows how to do it.

--
regards
Dave Batter
Kitchenman
www.kitchenman.co.uk

Dave,

Interesting site, but unless I'm mistaken there is No mention of where you
are or what area you cover !

The only clue I could see was a link to Essex web sites !!!!

Andrew Mawson, Bromley, Kent

Set Square

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Interesting site, but unless I'm mistaken there is No mention of
where you are or what area you cover !

The only clue I could see was a link to Essex web sites !!!!

Andrew Mawson, Bromley, Kent

The phone number 01702 is somewhere around Southend.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

The Natural Philosopher

kitchenman wrote:

mickael wrote:

I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right

angles.

Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I

router

out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

Any minor imperfections can be filled, by the way, with coloured epoxy
filler.

If its done correctly there is no need for fillers

Indeed, but who amongst us claims perfection?

You aren't IMM perchance under a different name?

kitchenman

I am in Essex, as you guessed, 30 mins from the Dartford Crossing [ on a
good day].

Have done work in Kent

Have van will travel

Extra out of my area of course

My area is approx. east of M25 south of A12, to Chelmsford then due east
from there.

I thought it was on the site, I will add it

Thanks for the prompt.

--
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"kitchenman" wrote in message
Hi Mikael & all.

If you are in my area give me a call.

All my details are here

www.kitchenman.info

Save money pay someone who knows how to do it.

--
regards
Dave Batter
Kitchenman
www.kitchenman.co.uk

Dave,

Interesting site, but unless I'm mistaken there is No mention of where you
are or what area you cover !

The only clue I could see was a link to Essex web sites !!!!

Andrew Mawson, Bromley, Kent

mickael

I wrote
I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

a) can I use a circular saw?

b) for a 600mm surface at right angles do I cut a straight line for , say,
580mm and then a 45 degree cut for the remainder?

c) in addition to the bolts pulling the surfaces together I have also seen
biscuit joins in some situations - how important is this?

Thanks for all the contributions. I've decided to chicken out and get a
joiner to do the cuts. I will then practise on the removed surfaces to
install in my outhouse utility room.

The only problem now is convincing 'er indoors that I meant Christmas 2004
as the completion date.

PoP

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:09:47 -0000, "kitchenman"
wrote:

I have been kitchenman for over 20 years, had the www name since 1998

And I think well respected around these parts, based upon previous
contributions made.

PoP