Peter Taylor

Default Kitchen work surface joining

mickael wrote

I need to do a few joints in work surfaces, a couple of them right angles.
Any advice on the way to do these joints would be greatly appreciated. I
understand the principal of the long screw bolts and assume that I router
out the grooves for these. My main concern is the cutting of the work
surface

a) can I use a circular saw?

The problem I found with a circular saw is it cuts upwards so is always trying
to lift and chip the laminate. And if you turn the worktop over to avoid this
you can't see what you're doing. There is still a part of the blade going the
wrong way.

Have a go at this on a scrap piece first - carefully score the laminate with a
sharp Stanley knife and then cut close to it gently, using a fine hand saw. You
can use a small plane on the edge as long as it's sharp and set very finely.
Somebdy once told me to stick sellotape along the score line - I never tried
that.

b) for a 600mm surface at right angles do I cut a straight line for , say,
580mm and then a 45 degree cut for the remainder?

Yep - that's what I'd do for a rounded worktop

c) in addition to the bolts pulling the surfaces together I have also seen
biscuit joins in some situations - how important is this?

They keep the surface flush across the joint. Good idea, especially when the
worktop is not properly supported at the joint.