Bob Mannix

Default Inches or Metric?

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
When you go to B and Q W to buy some plywood cut to length,
what is the best way to give the measurement: 79 15/16 inches or
2.005m or 200.5cm or 2005mm or 2m 5mm or 2m 0.5cm... ?

2005mm.

mm are the standard domestic building units and there's no decimal point or
fraction to get wrong

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Nick Finnigan

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
When you go to B and Q W to buy some plywood cut to length,
what is the best way to give the measurement: 79 15/16 inches or
2.005m or 200.5cm or 2005mm or 2m 5mm or 2m 0.5cm... ?

2005mm.

That's what I thought, but it lead to confusion.

mm are the standard domestic building units and there's no decimal point or
fraction to get wrong

But B and Q customers and staff aren't brought up on sdbus,
they expect 1m 80cm etc., like they were taught in school

parish

Martin Angove wrote:

Ok, I'm used to asking for a pound of mince because I know that a
pound of mince will make a nice quantity of (say) bolognese, but having
to ask for a half kilo wouldn't really make that much difference.

Except to your waistline, since it is 1.1lbs ;-)

Martin Angove

In message ,
parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote:

Martin Angove wrote:

Ok, I'm used to asking for a pound of mince because I know that a
pound of mince will make a nice quantity of (say) bolognese, but having
to ask for a half kilo wouldn't really make that much difference.

Except to your waistline, since it is 1.1lbs ;-)

:-)

But shared between the three of us... and anyway, you could always
slightly reduce some of the other ingredients. As if.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
James Hart

parish wrote:
Martin Angove wrote:

Ok, I'm used to asking for a pound of mince because I know that a
pound of mince will make a nice quantity of (say) bolognese, but
having to ask for a half kilo wouldn't really make that much
difference.

Except to your waistline, since it is 1.1lbs ;-)

Sister was on holiday a couple of weeks back in Spain and asked the butcher
for 7lbs of meat, much tooing and froing later she concluded that the
language barrier was too great so she wrote down on a bit of paper the
number 7. No problemo, he brings out 7kgs of meat and with her paying in
euros and not being up to speed on the conversion rate didn't think anything
of it. Off she trots with the meat to an astonshed other half wondering
exactly how many he was cooking for.
Maybe we should go metric and euro at the same time and get rid of both sets
of conversion issues together, sure it would be a pain to learn to start
with but once done it would make life so much easier in the long run.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Andy Wade

"Martin Angove" wrote in message

The standard way of stating metric fuel economy is liters per 100 km,

That's consumption, not economy. MPG represents economy. Somebody pointed
once out on cam.misc a while back that vehicle fuel consumption could be
measured in square millimetres -- think about it :-)

And why do so many rant on so much about the pint as the last bastion of
imperialism? Round it up to 600 ml -- over 5% more beer per round; what
could possibly be wrong with that?

--
Andy

Peter Ashby

In article ,
"James Hart" wrote:

Maybe we should go metric and euro at the same time and get rid of both sets
of conversion issues together, sure it would be a pain to learn to start
with but once done it would make life so much easier in the long run.

But we already are metric on weights and measures. Anyway changing both
things at once is a profiteer's charter, remember all the problems in
Germany and other places with people taking the opportunity afforded by
the Euro to put up prices? Even the suggestion of it was enough to
depress consumer spending.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
IMM

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Martin Angove" wrote in message

The standard way of stating metric fuel economy is liters per 100 km,

That's consumption, not economy. MPG represents economy. Somebody

pointed
once out on cam.misc a while back that vehicle fuel consumption could be
measured in square millimetres -- think about it :-)

And why do so many rant on so much about the pint as the last bastion of
imperialism? Round it up to 600 ml -- over 5% more beer per round; what
could possibly be wrong with that?

exactly! make 600mm a point of sale alcohol pint. then the narrow minded
will be at ease.

---

Peter Ashby

In article ,
parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote:

Anyway, what's wrong with going the whole hog and selling beer in
*litres*? That would also help the Govt. achieve the targets agreed at
the Kyoto(sp?) summit as you would waste less energy due to making fewer
trips to the bar :-P

There's an amusing piece in Orwell's 1984 where an old guy in a pub
complains to Winston that metricated beer is awful, something along the
lines of '500ml is not quite enough to quench the thirst but a litre is
far too much and weighs too heavily on the bladder.'

Back home in New Zealand it was customary to buy a jug of beer and the
requisite number of 8oz glasses, a jug being about 1.5 litre IIRC.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Reverse the Spam and remove to email me.
parish

IMM wrote:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"Martin Angove" wrote in message

The standard way of stating metric fuel economy is liters per 100 km,

That's consumption, not economy. MPG represents economy. Somebody

pointed
once out on cam.misc a while back that vehicle fuel consumption could be
measured in square millimetres -- think about it :-)

And why do so many rant on so much about the pint as the last bastion of
imperialism? Round it up to 600 ml -- over 5% more beer per round; what
could possibly be wrong with that?

exactly! make 600mm a point of sale alcohol pint. then the narrow minded
will be at ease.

600mm! That's almost two foot (with apologies to Tony Hancock) ;-)

Anyway, what's wrong with going the whole hog and selling beer in
*litres*? That would also help the Govt. achieve the targets agreed at
the Kyoto(sp?) summit as you would waste less energy due to making fewer
trips to the bar :-P

---

Peter Ashby

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:

Or you could do as we do and rely on the little "trip computer" which
Renault have so thoughtfully provided, complete with a display which
shows how many miles you have left in the tank. Mind you, when it gets
below about 70 miles it blanks out :-)

My little F reg Vauxhall Nova 1.2 does around 125-130m on 14l of
unleaded (close to £10 worth). I reset the trip meter on filling and
wait until almost empty before refilling (city runs only). I make that
close to 40mpg or 7l / 100km which for around town is pretty good. I'll
know if something is wrong if the number on the trip guage changes
before refill time. Provided I remain much of a creature of habit this
works well.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Reverse the Spam and remove to email me.
IMM

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Pat Norton
writes
Peter Ashby wrote:
There's an amusing piece in Orwell's 1984 where an old guy
in a pub complains to Winston that metricated beer is awful,
something along the lines of '500ml is not quite enough
to quench the thirst

Beer drinkers in the US must be seriously underquenshed. The US pint
is only 473 ml. I wonder if there is a 'beer drinkers of USA'
pro-metric campaign?

Does it really matter if you are drinking Budweiser?

Duh!! he was talking about beer.

---

geoff

In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Pat Norton
writes
Peter Ashby wrote:
There's an amusing piece in Orwell's 1984 where an old guy
in a pub complains to Winston that metricated beer is awful,
something along the lines of '500ml is not quite enough
to quench the thirst

Beer drinkers in the US must be seriously underquenshed. The US pint
is only 473 ml. I wonder if there is a 'beer drinkers of USA'
pro-metric campaign?

Does it really matter if you are drinking Budweiser?

Duh!! he was talking about beer.

Sorry, fair point
--
geoff