Dave Plowman

Default Light for small space - battery driven??

In article ,
Ger wrote:
Anyone know if (and where) I might buy a small neat
neon-tube-type light that I could put into the display area.

Maplin ZC11 - 4.99. It's a 150mm miniature fluorescent unit operated by 4
AA cells. Includes velcro self adhesive pads. ;-)

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Martin Angove

In message ,
"Ger" wrote:

Hi Group,
I have built a small table with a plate glass top.
Underneath the glass top is an area (21"x24") for displaying
shells and the like. I would like to add a hidden
light beneath the glass to enhance the display.
Anyone know if (and where) I might buy a small neat
neon-tube-type light that I could put into the display area.
Manual switch on/off would be fine.
BUT - it must be battery operated - no external cables.
Best I can think of are torch bulbs and soldered wires!!
In hope and with thanks
Ger

You could dismantle a "camping lantern" or three, try camping shops and
diy stores. I had a very early version of one of these. Not hugely
bright, but good enough for camping. Ran on 4 AAs for about 8 hours (3
or 4 hours a night - would last a decent camping trip). Maplin still do
something similar: YT10, £4.99. Also ZC11 (£4.99) and UN43 (£14.99) for
something a bit bigger. In fact, there's quite a lot of them and other
possible alternatives on p547-549 of the current catalogue.

I also bought a kit from Maplin... ermmm... doesn't seem to be in the
current catalogue. This was in the day when they did their own kits and
not the hugely overpriced Velleman stuff.

You could be really sneaky and hide a stick of batteries in a leg :-) (a
table leg that is).

Dunno. May be of help.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
The Natural Philosopher

Ger wrote:

Hi Group,
I have built a small table with a plate glass top.
Underneath the glass top is an area (21"x24") for displaying
shells and the like. I would like to add a hidden
light beneath the glass to enhance the display.
Anyone know if (and where) I might buy a small neat
neon-tube-type light that I could put into the display area.
Manual switch on/off would be fine.
BUT - it must be battery operated - no external cables.
Best I can think of are torch bulbs and soldered wires!!
In hope and with thanks
Ger

Camping fluorescent lights.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
chris French writes:

Battery operated bulbs/fluorescents are fine, but the batteries don't
last that long really. (though I guess you could hide larger capacity
batteries)

or rechargables to save replacement costs.

I would suggest investigating the bright 'white' LEDS that are now
available. These have improved in leaps and bounds recently and are now
being used in things like head torches and cycle lights.

Main problem I foresee I the quality of the light (it is not really a
white light, it has a very blue tinge to it.

The beam sometimes isn't a consistent colour across it's width
either, but this sounds like a good potential use for them.

The spread of the light might not be even enough

There are some very thin (T1, 3.2mm diameter) fluorescent tubes
available. Originally made by JKL, but I think others make them
now too. These would be excellent for concealing in small spaces,
but don't allow them to come into contact with flammable material
as the ends get extremely hot (for fluorescent tubes).
I've noticed Maplin stock them with inverter for 12V operation,
although these may not be JKL ones. I have only seen them in high
(cold) colour temperatures (not tried the Maplin ones though),
although if you want 1000, JKL will make them up in whatever
colour temperature you want;-) JKL do 5-6V inverters in addition
to 12V ones. The tubes are cold cathode tubes, so the inverters
are capable of generating the best part of 1000V, so you will
need to be careful.

JKL also do blacklight blue versions (long wave UV for fluorescing
materials).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman

In article ,
chris French wrote:
Battery operated bulbs/fluorescents are fine, but the batteries don't
last that long really. (though I guess you could hide larger capacity
batteries)

I would suggest investigating the bright 'white' LEDS that are now
available. These have improved in leaps and bounds recently and are now
being used in things like head torches and cycle lights.

LEDs aren't as efficient as fluorescents everything being equal. They
achieve longer life on bikes by pulsing them - as unlike most other light
sources they have the same 'start' current as running.
And, of course, a fluorescent wouldn't be suitable for a bike due to the
size and type of light - you need a bright point source for visibility
rather than a large softer light which is better for illuminating
something.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Ger

Thanks Owain. HHHHhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.

:-))))))))))))))))))

I love it !!!!!!

Ger

"Owain" wrote in message
"Simon Avery" wrote
| "Ger" wrote:
| G| I have built a small table with a plate glass top.
| G| Underneath the glass top is an area (21"x24") for displaying
| G| shells and the like. I would like to add a hidden
| G| light beneath the glass to enhance the display.
| Have a google for caravan lighting. 12vdc flourescents and all kinds
| of battery lighting. However, they either need hefty batteries or need
| frequent replacement. This is why most display furniture is mains
| operated...
| Two 6v lantern batteries ought to be enough, but chunky. Maybe
| hollowing out the legs and filling with D-cells might work? Maybe add
| a small din plug, use rechargables and "recharge your table" from the
| mains every now and then?

Depending on the floor structure, it might be possible to put small
cross-head screws through the carpet, connected to an underfloor low

voltage
lighting supply. Then have the table legs fitted with metal spikes as used
on hi-fi speakers, connected to the table lights, and put the table on the
powered screws.

Owain

Owain

"Ger" wrote
| "Owain" wrote ...
| Depending on the floor structure, it might be possible to put small
| cross-head screws through the carpet, connected to an underfloor low
| voltage lighting supply. Then have the table legs fitted with metal
| spikes as used on hi-fi speakers, connected to the table lights, and
| put the table on the powered screws.
| Thanks Owain. HHHHhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
| :-))))))))))))))))))
| I love it !!!!!!

If you built the table as a display cube ie with predominantly solid sides,
you could just recess a walk-over-able 12V light in the floor underneath
where the table would go and have it shine up through the translucent table
top base.

A magnet in one of the table legs and a reed switch in the floor with a
relay circuit would ensure the lamp was only illuminated when the table was
correctly positioned.

Owain

Ger

I'm outta here!! Too much lateral thinking :-)))

Ger

P.S.
Maybe I could put the shells back on some lonely part of the beach
and put a small solar powered webcam there. Then I could replace the
glass on the table top with an LCD screen and dispaly the webcam
of the shells in their true natural state.

"Owain" wrote in message
"Ger" wrote
| "Owain" wrote ...
| Depending on the floor structure, it might be possible to put small
| cross-head screws through the carpet, connected to an underfloor low
| voltage lighting supply. Then have the table legs fitted with metal
| spikes as used on hi-fi speakers, connected to the table lights, and
| put the table on the powered screws.
| Thanks Owain. HHHHhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
| :-))))))))))))))))))
| I love it !!!!!!

If you built the table as a display cube ie with predominantly solid

sides,
you could just recess a walk-over-able 12V light in the floor underneath
where the table would go and have it shine up through the translucent

table
top base.

A magnet in one of the table legs and a reed switch in the floor with a
relay circuit would ensure the lamp was only illuminated when the table

was
correctly positioned.

Owain

Owain

"Ger" wrote
| Maybe I could put the shells back on some lonely part of the beach
| and put a small solar powered webcam there. Then I could replace the
| glass on the table top with an LCD screen and dispaly the webcam
| of the shells in their true natural state.

That would look very nice. I am all for Enjoying the Beauty of Nature from
the Comfort of One's Armchair. An even finer idea might be a floor-mounted
plasma panel. Then you could have beach, or grass, or flowing water with
fish, underneath, as the mood took. Or when everybody's had too much to
drink put on the snowy mountain video and pretend the lounge is a cable-car.

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

andrewpreece wrote:

Ger wrote:

Hi Group,
I have built a small table with a plate glass top.
Underneath the glass top is an area (21"x24") for displaying
shells and the like. I would like to add a hidden
light beneath the glass to enhance the display.
Anyone know if (and where) I might buy a small neat
neon-tube-type light that I could put into the display area.
Manual switch on/off would be fine.
BUT - it must be battery operated - no external cables.
Best I can think of are torch bulbs and soldered wires!!
In hope and with thanks
Ger

I was given a fluorescent lamp made by Osram. It runs off two AA
batteries and is very compact and slim. it's approx 6 x 9 x 2 cm
and is called "Dulux Pocket". Can't say if it's still available or
where you might get one but hope this gives you an idea of what is
available,

Andy

I didn't wrote ANY of that. Its this ruddy time reversal again. I must
stop living in the future.

Pinched......... wanderer UK diy 8 September 12th 03 11:56 AM
Car and Motorcycle Battery Tips Bill Darden UK diy 4 July 15th 03 03:49 PM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 02:01 PM