Andrew Gabriel

Default Light for small space - battery driven??

In article ,
chris French writes:

Battery operated bulbs/fluorescents are fine, but the batteries don't
last that long really. (though I guess you could hide larger capacity
batteries)

or rechargables to save replacement costs.

I would suggest investigating the bright 'white' LEDS that are now
available. These have improved in leaps and bounds recently and are now
being used in things like head torches and cycle lights.

Main problem I foresee I the quality of the light (it is not really a
white light, it has a very blue tinge to it.

The beam sometimes isn't a consistent colour across it's width
either, but this sounds like a good potential use for them.

The spread of the light might not be even enough

There are some very thin (T1, 3.2mm diameter) fluorescent tubes
available. Originally made by JKL, but I think others make them
now too. These would be excellent for concealing in small spaces,
but don't allow them to come into contact with flammable material
as the ends get extremely hot (for fluorescent tubes).
I've noticed Maplin stock them with inverter for 12V operation,
although these may not be JKL ones. I have only seen them in high
(cold) colour temperatures (not tried the Maplin ones though),
although if you want 1000, JKL will make them up in whatever
colour temperature you want;-) JKL do 5-6V inverters in addition
to 12V ones. The tubes are cold cathode tubes, so the inverters
are capable of generating the best part of 1000V, so you will
need to be careful.

JKL also do blacklight blue versions (long wave UV for fluorescing
materials).

--
Andrew Gabriel