Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LCD display

The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.
Wouldn't really matter too much - but it they are over the minutes section
of the time, so an 8 reads 3 etc.

The front panel is detachable for security reasons and it appears to be
screwed together. Is this sort of fault likely fixable? No point in even
looking at it if not.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not
working. Wouldn't really matter too much - but it they are over the
minutes section of the time, so an 8 reads 3 etc.

The front panel is detachable for security reasons and it appears to
be screwed together. Is this sort of fault likely fixable? No point in
even looking at it if not.

Possibly one of these - sometime reseating it will fix it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomeric_connector
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not
working. Wouldn't really matter too much - but it they are over the
minutes section of the time, so an 8 reads 3 etc.

The front panel is detachable for security reasons and it appears to
be screwed together. Is this sort of fault likely fixable? No point in
even looking at it if not.

Possibly one of these - sometime reseating it will fix it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomeric_connector

IME, it sometimes works, but it sometimes makes it much worse too.
It's a gamble.

You might want to leave it until it gets to the point where you
have nothing to lose.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess it depends if its a ribbon cable issue or the display itself. It may
be just the interconnecting ribbon to whatever the front plugs into but my
bet would be the display is bust.
They don't like the heat and cold extremes in cars or sheds LCDs I used to
find.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.
Wouldn't really matter too much - but it they are over the minutes section
of the time, so an 8 reads 3 etc.

The front panel is detachable for security reasons and it appears to be
screwed together. Is this sort of fault likely fixable? No point in even
looking at it if not.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

ER: Liquid Crystal Display display????

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words

Yes.

or using other words that mean the same thing in the same sentence.

Not in this case.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

Even you should have noticed what the D stands for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 00:51:06 -0700, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

No, it's RAS Syndrome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 31 October 2016 07:51:11 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Even more so than a PAT tester I'd say :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2016 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

It doesn't if its a display of LCDs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological Eve?

Yes. Sorry. Even I make the very very occasional mistake.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 07:59:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

ER: Liquid Crystal Display display????

It's OK if the display is square.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

ER: Liquid Crystal Display display????

It's OK if the display is square.

I've just ordered some Liquid Crystal Ink.

https://www.sfxc.co.uk/products/liqu...nt=10876249345

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 31 October 2016 12:59:47 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

It doesn't if its a display of LCDs.

I went to school with a girl who had the world's first LCD watch in the world in 1975. This was her father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_William_Gray

At the the same time, I had a LED watch and in our own way, we have taken over the world!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

ER: Liquid Crystal Display display????

It's OK if the display is square.

I've just ordered some Liquid Crystal Ink.

https://www.sfxc.co.uk/products/liqu...nt=10876249345

For what purpose?

--
The best way to insulate your home is with a big pile of fridge-foam aerosol cans:
Just fill the entire house with foam and tunnel to the bits you need to get to, pack rat style.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean the
same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

ER: Liquid Crystal Display display????

It's OK if the display is square.

I've just ordered some Liquid Crystal Ink.

https://www.sfxc.co.uk/products/liqu...nt=10876249345

For what purpose?

No idea as yet I hope to find out when she collects it from me.
They are for her "Interactive Digital Multimedia Techniques" course unit.
I order for something like 50-70 students, the student got permission from her project supervisor to order thermochromic ink and this is what she chose and wanted 5ml at £16, I suggested we order the 15ml at £20 and that was approved too.
I have also ordered a 200mm soft pot £7.16 from mouser £12 P&P unfortunatly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 08:01:39 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not
working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean
the same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

ER: Liquid Crystal Display display????

Ho ho.

I suppose it's no worse than that classic from the 70s and 80s, the VDU
(Visual Display Unit :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

I guess they're being taught how the displays work?

--
Any woman can have the body of a 16-year-old ... as long as she buys him a few drinks first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
On 31/10/2016 07:51, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 30 October 2016 15:10:40 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The LCD display on my Blaupunkt car radio has a few pixels not
working.

Isn't "LCD display" tautological?

Tautology is the repetition of words or using other words that mean
the same thing in the same sentence.

Explain how that applies to LCDs!

ER: Liquid Crystal Display display????

Ho ho.

I suppose it's no worse than that classic from the 70s and 80s, the VDU
(Visual Display Unit :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Strange that in a lot of cases people called them monitors which is what
audio people used to do while recording.
Whether or not VDU's included sound was another oddity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Strange that in a lot of cases people called them monitors which is what
audio people used to do while recording.

Think that was originally a US term. When I started work in broadcast TV,
a monitor was the TV picture display device. Ie, basically a TV with no RF
tuner, so line fed. And of course control rooms had both picture and sound
'monitors'. So not a good idea to call them both the same.

Whether or not VDU's included sound was another oddity.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

No I doubt that as that can be read on-line.

Experimenting with something 1st hand teaches better.

--
All this "expressionism" in art, personally I think things ought to look like things. To me it's fairly easy to
tell what the artists are trying to say with their smears and swirls -- they're trying to say they can't paint worth a damn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

True but not for this which is a project that studetns do in dividualy for the Interactive Digital Multimedia Techniques course unit which is a POST grad unit not an undergrad one.

And if it were for teaching why just buy 15ml for just one studetn .

Labs runing today followed by number of students on the course unit

Algorithms and Data Structures in an Object-Oriented Framework. 93+89
Digital Systems Design 22
Website Design and Authoring 39
Introduction to Computer Vision 18
Electronic Devices and Applications 18
Professional and Research Themes 401
Data Mining 97+16
Program Specifications 21

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

Well do let us know when you find out what they're doing with the stuff.

--
The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

Still not arrived supplier says they sent it last week and will send another this week.

previous cruft fests.
'Uruca Caliandrum' crawling hairbrush: http://youtu.be/qCjgobi53T8
Free London Radio: http://vimeo.com/79521135
Digital bow and arrow game (with real bow): http://qmat.net/project/digital-bow-and-arrow/
Status Suit Twitter-enabled suit (started as CruftFest, expanded for Barbican):
http://qmat.net/project/status_suit/
cyKorg (hacked classic 1984 Korg Super Section): http://vimeo.com/32686701
Using face tracking to draw on an Etch-a-Sketch: http://vimeo.com/32689570
Supersonic toy airplanes: http://vimeo.com/32682413
Translating Heads: http://vimeo.com/armendariz/translatingheads
Waking Pillow: http://beiciliang.weebly.com/blog/wa...cruftfest-2014

It's for cruftfest 2016.

.... the sixth annual festival of recycled & hacked equipment!
cruft, n.
1. The dust that gathers underneath a bed
2. Bad code
3. Accumulated physical or virtual junk
-- Urban Dictionary
The UK alone generates over 1.8 million tonnes of electronic waste each year. Worldwide, millions of discarded computers and appliances end up in landfills where they leach toxic chemicals into the environment. Many others are sent for processing to developing countries with lax safety standards.
Each of you will save a small amount of cruft from the dump by repurposing it as a digital media interface. Your assignment is as follows:
1. Find an obsolete or discarded piece of equipment, for an example an old computer or peripheral, a piece of stereo gear, a home appliance, or a non-electronic household item. Find something with character!
2. Repurpose your cruft as either a digital media controller (which lets a human performer
control graphics or sound) or a digital media installation (a self-sufficient piece of artwork
involving computer-controlled visuals, sound or motion). You can make use of the devices
existing functions-- knobs, lights, motors, etc.-- or remove all the internals and replace them
with your own sensors/displays. You are also welcome to modify the structure or appearance
of the device however you wish.
3. On the due date, provide a 1-minute overview presentation of your interface, then demo it
for 2 hours as part of an open exhibition day at QMUL.
4. Submit a 3 or 4-page writeup of your design, a short video or a blog-style entry with
photos, and all code and any other relevant technical information (e.g. schematics). The only
cruft in this project should be your repurposed equipment.. We expect your code to be
beautiful! Specifically, it should be legible, well structured, and thoroughly commented.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/16 07:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

Cool!

--
California lawmakers are now proposing an amendment that would allow 14 year olds a quarter vote and 16 year olds a half a vote in all state elections.
How stupid is this? Don't they have enough trouble counting WHOLE votes? How are they going to figure out fractions?!