Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem closing door after replacing upvc door frame rubber gasket

Hi,

I bought 10 metres of R6381X uPVC Gasket to replace gasket that is starting to crack and fall apart in lots of places on my various doors and windows.. The profile of the new gasket matches the gasket currently in my door frame - the difference being the width of the part that holds the gasket into a narrow channel in the frame. The published and supplied gasket has a width of 5mm between the "edges" and the measurement of the currently fitted gasket is about 5.4 mm. I was able to easily fit the new gasket although it doesn't feel securelt held. I was guessing the old gasket "spread " over the years. The problem is the new gasket prevents the door closing. I have checked carefully where the gasket channel turns at the corner of the frame - and it does not seem to protrude. Is it possible that the new gasket is just too thick (it doesn't seem to be) or is there a "trick" to fitting new gasket?

Thanks,

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The new gasket seems thicker than the old (this is by about 1mm!).

To address my own question, I have found online gasket with code R6346X where the part that fits in the door channel is 5.6mm (the width of the original - so should be much more secure) and there is what I can only describe as a "double edge" next to the flipper part of the gasket - this was not on the gasket I bought originally. We shall see if it is a better fit.

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Used to be a tool for it, but one of the main annoyances I have had is that
the actual depth of the bit that goes in the channel can be at any bit too
deep or pointed when the slot actually has a flat bottom not a v shaped
bottom. this then makes the gasket pop out and the door won't close any
more. Getting the right stuff is very hard as certainly I have no idea who
made my doors.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Finding A new(ish) UPVC door to fit an old UPVC frame? Al Shahadie UK diy 1 September 24th 12 09:24 AM
uPVC door not closing/locking ARWadsworth UK diy 5 February 15th 09 09:58 AM
Problem drilling into frame, when installing uPVC door restrictor Steve UK diy 3 August 30th 08 12:18 AM
UPVC Door/Frame Problem Gogs UK diy 5 June 27th 07 01:54 PM
Replacing door gasket on Hotpoint 9525 gord_c UK diy 0 July 28th 06 07:20 PM