Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] clive.r.long@gmail.com is offline

Default Problem closing door after replacing upvc door frame rubber gasket

Hi,

I bought 10 metres of R6381X uPVC Gasket to replace gasket that is starting to crack and fall apart in lots of places on my various doors and windows.. The profile of the new gasket matches the gasket currently in my door frame - the difference being the width of the part that holds the gasket into a narrow channel in the frame. The published and supplied gasket has a width of 5mm between the "edges" and the measurement of the currently fitted gasket is about 5.4 mm. I was able to easily fit the new gasket although it doesn't feel securelt held. I was guessing the old gasket "spread " over the years. The problem is the new gasket prevents the door closing. I have checked carefully where the gasket channel turns at the corner of the frame - and it does not seem to protrude. Is it possible that the new gasket is just too thick (it doesn't seem to be) or is there a "trick" to fitting new gasket?

Thanks,

Clive