Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical, but needs painting!

I need to paint the soffit boards but there are 3ph + N cables
mounted there (overhead mains power). I can make up a secure
insulated cradle for these (+insulating covers) - but am I right in
thinking they are properly of the elec distribution Co and I must not
do that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Oct 2016 19:59, Michael Newport wrote:
I need to paint the soffit boards but there are 3ph + N cables
mounted there (overhead mains power). I can make up a secure
insulated cradle for these (+insulating covers) - but am I right in
thinking they are properly of the elec distribution Co and I must not
do that?

Yes if they are the feed to the meter rather than the feed from the
house to an outbuilding or something they are the supply companies
responsibility. Not sure on if you are allowed to cover them but are the
electricity company even going to notice?

--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well you just deny it was you when they ask. As long as they are in good
condition and not damaged by your work I don't really see any issue. Lets
hope they are in good condition or else we might not hear from you again!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"michael newport" wrote in message
I need to paint the soffit boards but there are 3ph + N cables
mounted there (overhead mains power). I can make up a secure
insulated cradle for these (+insulating covers) - but am I right in
thinking they are properly of the elec distribution Co and I must not
do that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"michael newport" Wrote in message:
I need to paint the soffit boards but there are 3ph + N cables
mounted there (overhead mains power). I can make up a secure
insulated cradle for these (+insulating covers) - but am I right in
thinking they are properly of the elec distribution Co and I must not
do that?

Look online & you should find there's a free service by the
regional elec distribution company (not who you pay the bills to)
to come out & "sleeve" any bare wires to enable you to do the
work safer...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:44:36 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim k wrote:

"michael newport" Wrote in message:
I need to paint the soffit boards but there are 3ph + N cables
mounted there (overhead mains power). I can make up a secure
insulated cradle for these (+insulating covers) - but am I right in
thinking they are properly of the elec distribution Co and I must not
do that?

Look online & you should find there's a free service by the
regional elec distribution company (not who you pay the bills to)
to come out & "sleeve" any bare wires to enable you to do the
work safer...

thanks for comments. The phase cables are insulated individually (for
sure), but I thought to use pipe lagging (that split gray stuff) to
cover each core as an extra safety measure. It's a very good insulator
and easy to fix + use rubber gloves etc.

Re the free service - yes you are correct, such should exist but in
practice i found out they charge. I had a mains isolator fitted (pre
CU) and was told by the Elec Co it was a free service by their
contractor. In the event, the free was £60 (just fyi)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Free when I had new soffits fitted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

Free when I had new soffits fitted.

Free when I had scaffolding up.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k Wrote in message:
DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

Free when I had new soffits fitted.

Free when I had scaffolding up.

"f you are thinking of working near or around our overhead
electricity lines, we can provide protective covering (shrouding)
to make it safe or replace the overhead line with fully insulated
cables free-of-charge.*"

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----