Robert11

Default Painting PVC Electrical Conduit: Possible ?

Hi,

Just got some PVC electrical conduit to run up the side of my house to
install a flood light.
It's that grey colored tubing. 1/2" O.D., and used to run the wires to the
light in.

Before I mess everything up, is it practical to paint this stuff ?
If so, with what type of paint ?

Need to prime first ?
if so, with what ?

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, you need to prime first. Duh.

Bill Waller

On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:51:46 -0400, "Robert11" wrote:

Hi,

Just got some PVC electrical conduit to run up the side of my house to
install a flood light.
It's that grey colored tubing. 1/2" O.D., and used to run the wires to the
light in.

Before I mess everything up, is it practical to paint this stuff ?
If so, with what type of paint ?

Need to prime first ?
if so, with what ?

Thanks,
Bob

Scuff the PVC first with 0 or 00 steel wool. Prime with a good quality exterior
latex primer. Finish coat with exterior latex paint to match your siding. Don't
rush between coats.

____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Chris Lewis

According to Bill Waller :
Scuff the PVC first with 0 or 00 steel wool. Prime with a good quality exterior
latex primer. Finish coat with exterior latex paint to match your siding. Don't
rush between coats.

You can skip the priming (and possibly even the scuff step if the stuff
is clean enough) if you use Krylon "Fusion" paint. Specifically designed
for painting plastics.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
The Real Tom

wrote:

Hi,

Just got some PVC electrical conduit to run up the side of my house to
install a flood light.
It's that grey colored tubing. 1/2" O.D., and used to run the wires to the
light in.

Before I mess everything up, is it practical to paint this stuff ?
If so, with what type of paint ?

Need to prime first ?

I've seen many commercials for krylon's fusion paint. Check it out.
BTW, you might need to scuff the pvc first to both clean off
grease/dirt, and give the paint something extra to bite into. Always
read/follow directions for best results.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

if so, with what ?

Thanks,
Bob

DanG

I would wipe it down with lacquer thinner (it will knock off the
gloss and etch the surface of the pipe about the same as PVC
primer) and use an appropriate color of spray paint. I have used
this successfully and has lasted years.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Just got some PVC electrical conduit to run up the side of my
house to install a flood light.
It's that grey colored tubing. 1/2" O.D., and used to run the
wires to the light in.

Before I mess everything up, is it practical to paint this stuff
?
If so, with what type of paint ?

Need to prime first ?
if so, with what ?

Thanks,
Bob

Richard J Kinch

Robert11 writes:

Before I mess everything up, is it practical to paint this stuff ?
If so, with what type of paint ?

I've used latex house paint successfully.

Auto parts stores sell spray cans of vinyl color.
Hopkins

Yeah, you want to knock down the gloss.... lacquer, sandpaper, steel
wool, whatever.

Best to prime it too, and use the house paint. I'm guessing you don't
want to hassle try to find a spraypaint that matches.

stretch

If you use pvc cleaner (primer), it will knock the gloss off. A lot
easier than steel wool. PVC cleaner is the stuff you are SUPPOSED to
apply before you glue it. Get the clear stuff, not the purple stuff,
if you are going to paint over it.

Stretch

Hopkins

Oh yeah, I agree. PVC cleaner would work great, and with less effort.
Some people, though, may not want to mess with such chemicals in that
kind of situation.