blueman

Default Prepping & painting outdoor electrical mains conduit and box

With spring coming, I would like to paint over the newly installed
galvanized metal conduit and outdoor meter box that was put in during
our 200A service upgrade.

Couple of questions:
1. What needs to be done to prep? Can I just apply a regular outdoor
paint primer or do I need special pre-prep and primer?

2. Can I use regular outdoor house paint over the primer?

3. Any rules about what can and cannot be painted? (I won't paint the
meter face itself
Andy Hill

blueman wrote:
With spring coming, I would like to paint over the newly installed
galvanized metal conduit and outdoor meter box that was put in during
our 200A service upgrade.

Couple of questions:
1. What needs to be done to prep? Can I just apply a regular outdoor
paint primer or do I need special pre-prep and primer?

2. Can I use regular outdoor house paint over the primer?

3. Any rules about what can and cannot be painted? (I won't paint the
meter face itself

You'll want to use a primer that will allow good adhesion to between the enamel
/ galvanized metal and (I assume) your exterior latex paint. Easiest way is to
ask the guy at the paint counter, although it's always a good idea to
double-check the can instructions...mistakes happen.

Other than that, it all should be fair game for painting. Never hurts to
double-check with the power company, 'tho, assuming you can find someone to ask.

AutoTracer

Regular house primer and house paint would certainly work but might look
funny if the brush marks show. Probably easier to mask off the area and use
spray paint for metal that will give you some rust protection as well and
give a better finish. Any primer labeled for exterior use over metal will
work.

As for the rules, a quick phone call to the utility will give you a reliable
answer.

BTW I am considering this upgrade myself, can I ask how much $ it was and
how long it took. (ballpark, I know it has no real relation to my situation)

"blueman" wrote in message
With spring coming, I would like to paint over the newly installed
galvanized metal conduit and outdoor meter box that was put in during
our 200A service upgrade.

Couple of questions:
1. What needs to be done to prep? Can I just apply a regular outdoor
paint primer or do I need special pre-prep and primer?

2. Can I use regular outdoor house paint over the primer?

3. Any rules about what can and cannot be painted? (I won't paint the
meter face itself

blueman

"AutoTracer" writes:
BTW I am considering this upgrade myself, can I ask how much $ it was and
how long it took. (ballpark, I know it has no real relation to my situation)

I had it done as part of a larger piece of electrical wiring and
upgrades. But all-in-all, I would estimate it took 2 people about 1.5
days. Materials were maybe $1000 -- so all in all about $2k which is
relatively cheap for my neck of the woods for upgrading an older house
from 100A to 200A