Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which blowtorch?

Looking for one that will see very little use, but needs to solder 22mm copper pipe. So the cheap is good, as long as it can do the job. Any sugestions? The Rothenbergers got slated at Screwsatan, and seem unnecessarily expensive.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 18:05:41 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 11/10/16 17:43, tabbypurr wrote:

Looking for one that will see very little use, but needs to solder 22mm copper pipe. So the cheap is good, as long as it can do the job. Any sugestions? The Rothenbergers got slated at Screwsatan, and seem unnecessarily expensive.

Any piece of crap will do for a basic pipe soldering job.

I mean how hard is a valve a nozzle and a burner tube and a cylinder of gas?

That's what I thought, but can't find my piece of crap one anywhere. Maybe the bad Screwsatan reviews are just poor workmen, I don't know.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 20:25:40 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 10/11/2016 6:11 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Looking for one that will see very little use, but needs to solder
22mm copper pipe. So the cheap is good, as long as it can do the job.
Any sugestions? The Rothenbergers got slated at Screwsatan, and seem
unnecessarily expensive.

This one has served me OK, lights first time, needs a minute or two to
warm up if you're going to tilt it past 45 degrees, handles 22mm joints.

http://www.diy.com/departments/at2071h-gosystem-blow-torch/30062_BQ.prd

I'd expect these to be OK too (numerous similar offers on eBay)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blow-Torch...4AAOSwNRdX-kFw

Lovely, a China special should do the job. Thanks.

Before I get one, 2 questions to which I assume the answer is no:
1. I've got a small camping gas stove. Any likelihood that could do it?
2. I've got an Aldi gas mini soldering torch kit, about 8" long plus assorted bits. "?
3. Who's got my Taymar?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote:
On 11/10/16 17:43, tabbypurr wrote:

Looking for one that will see very little use, but needs to
solder 22mm copper pipe. So the cheap is good, as long as it
can do the job. Any sugestions? The Rothenbergers got slated
at Screwsatan, and seem unnecessarily expensive.

Any piece of crap will do for a basic pipe soldering job.

I mean how hard is a valve a nozzle and a burner tube and a
cylinder of gas?

That's what I thought, but can't find my piece of crap one
anywhere. Maybe the bad Screwsatan reviews are just poor
workmen, I don't know.

Is "Screwsatan" a reference to both Screwfix and Toolstation
together?

Lol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/16 17:43, wrote:
Looking for one that will see very little use, but needs to solder 22mm copper pipe. So the cheap is good, as long as it can do the job. Any sugestions? The Rothenbergers got slated at Screwsatan, and seem unnecessarily expensive.

NT

Any piece of crap will do for a basic pipe soldering job.

https://bilablau.co.uk/kitchen-blowt...FdaRGwod7hAEcA

;-)

I mean how hard is a valve a nozzle and a burner tube and a cylinder of gas?

can ordinary or proper BTs be used for cooking ?, not that I have one or am liklely to use one, just like to expand my knowledge unlike some others here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

Looking for one that will see very little use, but needs to solder
22mm copper pipe. So the cheap is good, as long as it can do the job.
Any sugestions? The Rothenbergers got slated at Screwsatan, and seem
unnecessarily expensive.

This one has served me OK, lights first time, needs a minute or two to
warm up if you're going to tilt it past 45 degrees, handles 22mm joints.

http://www.diy.com/departments/at2071h-gosystem-blow-torch/30062_BQ.prd

I'd expect these to be OK too (numerous similar offers on eBay)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blow-Torch...4AAOSwNRdX-kFw

Lovely, a China special should do the job. Thanks.

Often nothing wrong with China specials, IME

Before I get one, 2 questions to which I assume the answer is no:
1. I've got a small camping gas stove. Any likelihood that could do it?

Maybe, provided you can move the pipe round to spread the heat evenly.
Certainly possible to put a fitting on the end of a (free) length of 15
mm pipe that way.

2. I've got an Aldi gas mini soldering torch kit, about 8" long plus assorted bits. "?

Unlikely to have enough heat output. But do you have a hot air gun? I
believe that with a concentrator nozzle you might be able to do it
(although I have never tried myself).

3. Who's got my Taymar?

You have, it will turn up when you buy a replacement

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 October 2016 15:39:23 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

3. Who's got my Taymar?

How old?

Made of brass and with a hand-pump for the paraffin,

I gather those have a bad safety record. Still used in India though.

or orange paint with a touch or rust?

Yup, one of those.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2016 09:59, Dave W wrote:
Ha Ha! Maybe they might be different now they've been taken over. After
then, I bought some fence panels click&collect online, because they were the
cheapest. Instore, the labels still showed the previous expensive prices.
When I queried it, they said I would have only had to pay the new price at
the checkout! Obviously the staff have no interest in sales.

Very similar experience - wanted some specific compost and every other
source within sensible distance was out of stock. Theirs was under a
sign clearly saying £4-99 with no doubt about the product.
Click-and-collect was a more reasonable £3-69 (or so). We had originally
walked past it simply because it was more than we would pay.

I know the actual amount is pretty small but the attitude behind the
shop is dire.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:21:53 +0100, pamela wrote:

====snip====

That's what I thought, but can't find my piece of crap one anywhere.
Maybe the bad Screwsatan reviews are just poor workmen, I don't know.

Is "Screwsatan" a reference to both Screwfix and Toolstation together?

Did you *really* have to ask? :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20:07 11 Oct 2016, wrote:

anywhere. Maybe the bad Screwsatan reviews are just poor workmen, I
don't know.

Is "Screwsatan" a reference to both Screwfix and Toolstation
together?

Lol.

Yup

NT

Hey guys, joking aside, I don't know exactly what "Screwsatan" is
referring to.

Wadda you doin' here then?

You don't have to spend much time lurking in this news group to see the
frequent mention of Toolstation (oft referred to as "Toolsatan") and
Screwfix. The portmanteau word, "Screwsatan" is an obvious 'no-brainer'
reference (a bit like the "Aldiddle" one).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Similarly I'm not sure why I see Toolstation called Toolsatan.
Surveys suggest their customers like the company a lot but, on the
other hand, "Satan" suggests the writer wants to draw attention to
some problem.

I do find it odd that customers give a company they obviously use a
derogatory name. WTF would you use a company you detest? Not like they
have a monopoly.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
pamela wrote:
Similarly I'm not sure why I see Toolstation called Toolsatan.
Surveys suggest their customers like the company a lot but, on the
other hand, "Satan" suggests the writer wants to draw attention to
some problem.

I do find it odd that customers give a company they obviously use a
derogatory name. WTF would you use a company you detest?

Because they have what you need, or are much more convenient to get to.

Not like they
have a monopoly.

Old Craftsman blowtorch [email protected] Metalworking 8 January 28th 16 08:48 PM
Blowtorch [email protected] UK diy 5 August 21st 13 05:10 PM
Blowtorch Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 41 February 6th 08 05:03 PM
Gas blowtorch: safe, or not? Ken Grunke[_2_] Metalworking 14 July 26th 07 10:45 PM
Gas Blowtorch DavidM UK diy 21 February 3rd 07 09:41 AM