Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blowtorch

I have an ancient Ronson blowtorch that has become a pain in the
proverbial, and want a small, simple, reliable replacement. Not
a 'pen' model, though. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have an ancient Ronson blowtorch that has become a pain in the
proverbial, and want a small, simple, reliable replacement. Not
a 'pen' model, though. Any suggestions?

You didn't specify cheap - so take look at the Rothenberger range, I
have two and they are brilliant.

Thanks very much. No, I didn't - they are a bit pricey for me, but
not hopelessly. They look good, but are not really what I need.

The bigger problem is that I didn't specify that I wanted something
that could be used for more general tasks than just brazing and
soldering. In particular, if the flame is tight, I need an
optional spreader. The point is that I don't use it much, but
I use it for a wide variety of tasks when I do (including my wife
using it for creme brulee!) I really don't want yet more special
purpose tools :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:30:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have an ancient Ronson blowtorch that has become a pain in the

proverbial, and want a small, simple, reliable replacement. Not

a 'pen' model, though. Any suggestions?

The point is that I don't use it much, but

I use it for a wide variety of tasks when I do (including my wife

using it for creme brulee!) I really don't want yet more special

purpose tools :-(

Not sure how much use this is but I had a very basic Coleman Taymar from B&Q which was fine for my limited plumbing use for many years (it had a plastic saucer that clipped on to the bottom of the approx 6" canister to increase stability). When the gas ran out, B&Q had changed suppliers, so I replaced it with an Aldi Power Craft cheapie that has a Campingaz-style, squat, broad cylinder.

IIRC, the Coleman torch could be removed and the cylinder self-sealed but the Aldi torch has to stay on once you've pierced the cylinder.

The Aldi one is fine and, in use, I think I prefer it to the branded one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:

I have an ancient Ronson blowtorch that has become a pain in the
proverbial, and want a small, simple, reliable replacement. Not
a 'pen' model, though. Any suggestions?

I have a BernzOmatic jeweller's type, ie small, but not as small as a pen,
which has been fine. Fills from ordinary fag lighter gas rather than a
special.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 14:49:00 UTC+1, wrote:
I have an ancient Ronson blowtorch that has become a pain in the

proverbial, and want a small, simple, reliable replacement. Not

a 'pen' model, though. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

If you want something that performs well, you want one that will run on MAPP gas. After you've used MAPP, you won't go back to Propane/Butane.

+1 for Rotherburger SureFire

Old Craftsman blowtorch [email protected] Metalworking 8 January 28th 16 08:48 PM
Blowtorch Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 41 February 6th 08 05:03 PM
Gas blowtorch: safe, or not? Ken Grunke[_2_] Metalworking 14 July 26th 07 10:45 PM
Gas Blowtorch DavidM UK diy 21 February 3rd 07 09:41 AM
Where can I buy a blowtorch head that connects to a regular LP gas supply? i.e. not propane Peter UK diy 17 September 30th 05 10:56 PM