Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Blowtorch

I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor
joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto
a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side, which is
the only way I can access the joints.

I have a mid size Camping Gaz bottle from a now defunct
barbeque, and wonder if I can get a hose connected torch
to attach to this bottle (maybe via a regulator). I've googled
but only found fairly expensive professional models.

(I'm quite competant at soldering copper pipe, it's just
the access problem, and yes, bucket of water and
heat insulation sheet are all close at hand. Floor will
be tiled over, so don't want to use compression or
push fit).

Thanks for any help. David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Presumably it is blue (butane) rather than red (propane)?Screwfix do a torch
kit with fittings for propane.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Yes it's blue.

"Newshound" wrote in message
Presumably it is blue (butane) rather than red (propane)?Screwfix do a
torch kit with fittings for propane.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor
joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto
a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side,

It doesn't really you know!

Light it up and let it burn in the upright position for about two minutes.
That heats up the burner head so the gas vaporises in the burner and doesn't
emerge as a jet. (flame thrower style)

After it's nice and warm you can use it at an angle of dangle of your
choice.

Julian.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Newshound" wrote in message
Presumably it is blue (butane) rather than red (propane)?Screwfix do a
torch kit with fittings for propane.

I have one of the MachineMart torches for use with propane (orange/red
cylinders), it works brilliantly for pipework without the flame-thrower
effect a normal blowtorch produces on it's side.

If you can get a similar torch for butane you should get a good result.

Or, if you go down the propane route, the small 3.9kg (?) size cylinders are
only about £10 and seem to last forever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 19:44, "DavidM" wrote:

eBay

You might find it easier to switch to propane though. If they won't
exchange the bottles, buy(sic) an empty at the council dump.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Gio Gio is offline

"Julian" wrote in message

"DavidM" wrote in message
I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor
joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto
a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side,

It doesn't really you know!

Light it up and let it burn in the upright position for about two minutes.
That heats up the burner head so the gas vaporises in the burner and
doesn't emerge as a jet. (flame thrower style)

After it's nice and warm you can use it at an angle of dangle of your
choice.

Julian.

Be careful, the liquefied gas will often feed through the valve and jet
assembly even if it is hot. Once you invert the canister and the liquid
level is anywhere near the take of point on the canister you are then
drawing off the liquefied petroleum gas and not evaporated gas.

Gio

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Julian" writes:

"DavidM" wrote in message
I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor
joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto
a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side,

It doesn't really you know!

Light it up and let it burn in the upright position for about two minutes.
That heats up the burner head so the gas vaporises in the burner and doesn't
emerge as a jet. (flame thrower style)

After it's nice and warm you can use it at an angle of dangle of your
choice.

I just started writing the same reply, when I saw yours.
You can tell when it's warmed up when tipping it from
the upright position no longer generates a change in
the burner sound.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 30 Jan, 19:44, "DavidM" wrote:

eBay

You might find it easier to switch to propane though. If they won't
exchange the bottles, buy(sic) an empty at the council dump.

My local council dump won't take any form of gas bottle.

Julian.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor
joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto
a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side, which is
the only way I can access the joints.

I have a mid size Camping Gaz bottle from a now defunct
barbeque, and wonder if I can get a hose connected torch
to attach to this bottle (maybe via a regulator). I've googled
but only found fairly expensive professional models.

(I'm quite competant at soldering copper pipe, it's just
the access problem, and yes, bucket of water and
heat insulation sheet are all close at hand. Floor will
be tiled over, so don't want to use compression or
push fit).

I just use an electric hot air gun with an wrap-around angle jet...but
then I usually have electricity available. The wrap-around angle jet
makes it really quick (1800W, it should be quick) and protects most of
the background from the hot air.

The Maplin polishing block is great for cleaning up the ends of the pipes.

--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:50:10 -0000, "Gio" wrote:

|"Julian" wrote in message

| "DavidM" wrote in message
|I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor
| joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto
| a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side,
|
| It doesn't really you know!
|
| Light it up and let it burn in the upright position for about two minutes.
| That heats up the burner head so the gas vaporises in the burner and
| doesn't emerge as a jet. (flame thrower style)
|
| After it's nice and warm you can use it at an angle of dangle of your
| choice.
|
| Julian.
|
|Be careful, the liquefied gas will often feed through the valve and jet
|assembly even if it is hot. Once you invert the canister and the liquid
|level is anywhere near the take of point on the canister you are then
|drawing off the liquefied petroleum gas and not evaporated gas.

**SWOOSH** big flame not nice at all.

Torches run off refillable bottles via a hose work OK. I have a very
ancient Camping Gaz torch, not sure if it is still in production.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 21:10, "Julian" wrote:
You might find it easier to switch to propane though. If they won't
exchange the bottles, buy(sic) an empty at the council dump.

My local council dump won't take any form of gas bottle.

Then move. Problem solved!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM, in article qeNvh.88985$n36.23456@newsfe7-
gui.ntli.net, says...

I have a mid size Camping Gaz bottle from a now defunct
barbeque, and wonder if I can get a hose connected torch
to attach to this bottle (maybe via a regulator). I've googled
but only found fairly expensive professional models.

I have a Chalugaz torch that connects to Camping Gaz bottles
via a hose - and very good it is too, when you also have all
the different heads. A google search failed to produce a UK
source, but Casrorama in .fr appear to have them
--
JohnW.
Replace nospam with the first 3 letters of the current month
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Gio" wrote in message ...

Be careful, the liquefied gas will often feed through the valve and jet
assembly even if it is hot. Once you invert the canister and the liquid
level is anywhere near the take of point on the canister you are then
drawing off the liquefied petroleum gas and not evaporated gas.

Nah, once it's warmed up it will run upside down forever, BTDT for 35 years
now with an assortment of cheap blowtorches. (Taymar at the mo) I've also
got a Propane torch which gets used for bigger jobs, and if I need a lot of
heat I have two paraffin blow torches - you really do have to be careful
with these, it's easy to have a scene from 'The World at War!' in the shed.

Julian.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor
joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto
a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side, which is
the only way I can access the joints.

I have a mid size Camping Gaz bottle from a now defunct
barbeque, and wonder if I can get a hose connected torch
to attach to this bottle (maybe via a regulator). I've googled
but only found fairly expensive professional models.

(I'm quite competant at soldering copper pipe, it's just
the access problem, and yes, bucket of water and
heat insulation sheet are all close at hand. Floor will
be tiled over, so don't want to use compression or
push fit).

Thanks for any help. David

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Once warmed up my
Taymar did work at enough of an angle to do the job, despite
the odd "flame out" (it was a newish cylinder). Not sure
I'd want to try it upside down as per one suggestion
though!!

Still thinking of upgrading to a hose connected torch though,
any recommendations if not Gaz? Not an expensive pro
model though, don't do enough to justify £60+

David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message

"DavidM" wrote in message
[...]

I was in a similar position when using my blowlamp. In the end I decided
safety was the name of the game and so decided to use plastic pipe and
fittings. Much easier and a lot less messing about.
--
the_constructor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 19:26, "DavidM" wrote:
Still thinking of upgrading to a hose connected torch though,
any recommendations if not Gaz? Not an expensive pro
model though, don't do enough to justify £60+

Rothenberger.

eBay really is the best place to buy this stuff. Lots of it, good
condition (much is new) and prices far below retail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 19:26, "DavidM" wrote:
Still thinking of upgrading to a hose connected torch though,
any recommendations if not Gaz? Not an expensive pro
model though, don't do enough to justify £60+

Rothenberger.

eBay really is the best place to buy this stuff.

It isn't.

A rebadged Rothenberger at a fraction of the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 23:06, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
A rebadged Rothenberger at a fraction of the price.

I thought this was more your line:
http://www.fwb.co.uk/mall/productpag...p/021VGU/64170

Anyway, isn't the Rothenberger a rebadged Bernzomatic, and it's just
the MAPP gas torch? Their propane torches are totally different - I
like Rotheberger's because it has a nice combined trigger and knob
regulator.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 23:06, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
It isn't.

Anyway, I've got the 1" one of these
http://www.hybridburners.com
and a shiny new sword forge to finish building (for shiny new swords,
obviously)

Mwaaa ha ha ha ha ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 2 Feb, 23:06, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
It isn't.

Anyway, I've got the 1" one of these

That is nice Dingley. But I am not into safe cracking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 2 Feb, 23:06, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
A rebadged Rothenberger at a fraction of the price.

I thought this was more your line:
http://www.fwb.co.uk/mall/productpag...p/021VGU/64170

That is the strangest blow torch I have ever seen. There again I don't live
in Dingley Dell.

...Dingley, Dingley, Dingley Dell
...he dings along, he dings it well
...he wants to ding unto the dell
...and who is dinging we can tell
...this Dingley, Dingley, Dingley Dell.

...the police they viewed this noisey dell
...so slapped him right inside a cell
...no dinging here we do tell
...no more Dingley, Dingley Dell

Old Craftsman blowtorch [email protected] Metalworking 8 January 28th 16 08:48 PM
Gas Fire - Fire basket and gas engine or just a simple Valor gas fire? Farouq UK diy 2 March 6th 06 11:04 PM
Vented gas log makes roaring sound like gas rushing gunggung Home Repair 1 November 27th 05 02:47 AM
Supply 3 Pole Gas Tube Arresters(Gas Discharge Tubes)3-Electrode [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 November 2nd 05 01:02 AM
Where can I buy a blowtorch head that connects to a regular LP gas supply? i.e. not propane Peter UK diy 17 September 30th 05 10:56 PM