Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gas blowtorch: safe, or not?

A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

But I've never used one of this before.
The pump doesn't pump. (no compression)

I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig, only a Prestolite acetylene bottle
jeweler's torch plus a standard propane bottle torch.

Will this heat a 3/4" steel shaft to red heat for bending, for example?

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ken Grunke wrote:

A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

But I've never used one of this before.
The pump doesn't pump. (no compression)

I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig, only a Prestolite acetylene bottle
jeweler's torch plus a standard propane bottle torch.

Will this heat a 3/4" steel shaft to red heat for bending, for example?

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

Safe enough, providing that it seals and does not weep liquid fuel.
They are as safe as a camp stove or lantern, and work on similar
principles.

Lighting one is a bit unnerving at first, as the tray is supposed to
be part filled with fuel, which is lit to preheat the generator (the
coil inside the torch head). Once the generator is hot, cracking the
valve should result in it getting hotter, as the flame gets going. Some
guys use a propane torch to preheat the gen.

Some use a mixture of gasoline and kerosene. Slightly less volatile
and more heat, apparently.

You should be able to do as you wish. Use a couple firebricks stacked
up to make an "oven" for the bar if it does not heat enough from direct
application of the torch.

The pump is likely a leather washer type and should respond well to a
little oil and a stretching towards a flatter shape. The other thing
that can go wrong is the check valve going TU.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:33:21 -0500, Ken Grunke
wrote:

A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

I'm not familiar with this particular torch, but in general, gas
refers to Coleman fuel / Naptha / white gas. You want something
without additives to gunk up the nozzle.

See if you can get the pump apart. Often they used a leather washer
and if you just soak them in oil they'll work fine - at least that's
what you do with old Coleman lanterns.

People over at the Coleman lantern and pressure lamp / Petromax groups
at Yahoo have overlapping experience with these and can give you more
informed advice. After you pump it up, put a little soapy water
around the connections to make sure you don't have any leaks or dunk
it in a bucket and look for bubbles.

I've lit and run one 35 or so years ago when I was young and
fearless. The process was to pump up the tank, put some alcohol or
gas in the well underneath the torch body and light it. Crack the
valve when fuel in the well is getting low and just about to go out.
Open the valve more once the small flame begins to burn more
consistently. But go ask the guys over in the Yahoo groups who play
with these things regularly.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 7:33 pm, Ken Grunke wrote:
A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

But I've never used one of this before.
The pump doesn't pump. (no compression)

I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig, only a Prestolite acetylene bottle
jeweler's torch plus a standard propane bottle torch.

Will this heat a 3/4" steel shaft to red heat for bending, for example?

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

In addition to the other comments, best operated outside. White gas
will work, current unleaded should work, Coleman is safe to store and
will work. The packing around the needle valve at the rear might need
either repacking or tightening, you can check that once you get the
pump operating again. Just put a little gas in it and pump it up with
the needle valve shut, if you get a dribble out at the rear, the
packing needs attention. Do this BEFORE lighting it off. If it leaks
while running, you could get a good imitation of the Towering
Inferno. Usually a wet rag will allow cranking the needle valve home
to kill it but you have to get right on it and not panic.

As to your heat requirements, I can't tell. A larger, similar burner
will heat the bottom of a cast iron lead pot red hot in a matter of
minutes. Haven't needed to use any petrol-burning stuff since I got
the O/A rosebud. Chances are you're going to have a bunch of scale on
your workpiece if you don't take precautions.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The simple method I remember is to pump it up, as you say, and then open the
valve while holding card or anything flat across the mouth of the burner.
Liquid gas will come up against the card and run down into the well. When
you think you have enough, close the valve and light the gas in the well.

The first time you dop this, have a garden hose nearby, and it would be good
to have another person with you as well. The worst thing you can do is have
gasoline spray on your hands and clothing from a leak, and then catch fire.

DO NOT loosen the filler cap while you're trying to light the torch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it?

Like the other replies said, have a helper with some fire
extinguishing gear handy the first time. Maybe wear welding leathers
and gloves too. Gasoline isn't a toy.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The first time you dop this, have a garden hose nearby, and it would be

good
to have another person with you as well. The worst thing you can do is

have
gasoline spray on your hands and clothing from a leak, and then catch

fire.

One of my first memories as a child was seeing this happen to my dad while
he was using one of these gas blow torches to strip paint off the siding of
our house. He jumped off the scafold and rolled on the ground to put the
fire out. Years later, when he later told me what to do if my clothes
caught fire, "stop, drop, and roll", I took him at his word having seen it
demonstrated.

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:33:21 -0500, Ken Grunke wrote:

A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg
Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I now feel better qualified to keep
from blowing myself to smithereens. If that thing can heat up a 3/4" shaft
for bending, then it will be worth a little trouble to get it fired up.

Ken
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:13:34 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

First: I have never used one of these - by the time I needed something
like this, propane torches on disposable bottles were available.
Grandfather bought and used one, sometimes as a makeshift forge, some
sixty years ago. The only way he ever filled the pre-heat pan was to
cover the mouth of the burner with his bare hand then wipe his hand on
his back pocket, wait for any gas left on his hand to evaporate, then
with is other hand, light the pre-heat. I DO NOT recommend this
procedure in any way.

The first time you dop this, have a garden hose nearby, and it would be good
to have another person with you as well. The worst thing you can do is have
gasoline spray on your hands and clothing from a leak, and then catch fire.

DO NOT loosen the filler cap while you're trying to light the torch.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
news
A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

But I've never used one of this before.
The pump doesn't pump. (no compression)

I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig, only a Prestolite acetylene bottle
jeweler's torch plus a standard propane bottle torch.

Will this heat a 3/4" steel shaft to red heat for bending, for example?

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

I have been using my late fathers old (now) Lambert blow torch since about
1955. No problems, just maintain it, and keep it in good condition. After
some practice, it's possible to do silver soldering on quite small objects,
despite the size of the flame. I still use the old Lambert occasionaly, even
though a propane turbo torch, and an oxy propane rig are on hand.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:
"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
news
[...]

Gas blow lamps as we call them here in the UK dont need a lot of
pressure to get up and running,
Kerosene ones do.
these types of blow lamp were made to do primarily large soldering
jobs. Such as sealing riveted brass or copper water tanks and brass to
lead pipe work. Those lovely oval sweated pipejoints?
If you want to heat up 3/4 in steel rod, there not the best tool.
For heating steel to red hot youll need a minimum of propane and oxygen.
Acetylene and oxygen is the fastest , and hottest.
Despite the fact that acetylene hasa much lower calorific value than
propane.
Its to do with the flame rate. Propane is very slow. Acetylene is
very fast,
hopes this helps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ken,
I am going to take a different tack than others here. I say shine it up,
put it on a shelf in your shop and forget about it. Get a propane torch or
some other modern gas torch to do your bending with. This thing can hurt
you and why bother?

LLB

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
news
A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

But I've never used one of this before.
The pump doesn't pump. (no compression)

I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig, only a Prestolite acetylene bottle
jeweler's torch plus a standard propane bottle torch.

Will this heat a 3/4" steel shaft to red heat for bending, for example?

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 9:33 pm, Ken Grunke wrote:
A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

But I've never used one of this before.
The pump doesn't pump. (no compression)

I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig, only a Prestolite acetylene bottle
jeweler's torch plus a standard propane bottle torch.

Will this heat a 3/4" steel shaft to red heat for bending, for example?

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

I used to use one of these for melting small amounts of aluminum
before I knew any better, gasoline torch aimed at the top and propane
torch aimed at the bottom of an iron ladle containing aluminum bits.
It put out a fair amount of heat, but seemed to have a tendency to
clog easily. I would be cautious about using modern unleaded gas in
one of them, since gasoline today contains a lot of additives that
were not used back when these torches were designed. Coleman fuel
would be a better choice, and also naphtha from a paint store will
work, although it is somewhat more expensive.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"KyMike" wrote in message
oups.com...
I used to use one of these for melting small amounts of aluminum
before I knew any better, gasoline torch aimed at the top and propane
torch aimed at the bottom of an iron ladle containing aluminum bits.
It put out a fair amount of heat, but seemed to have a tendency to
clog easily. I would be cautious about using modern unleaded gas in
one of them, since gasoline today contains a lot of additives that
were not used back when these torches were designed. Coleman fuel
would be a better choice, and also naphtha from a paint store will
work, although it is somewhat more expensive.

I still have and still use one. About every two years, I make a new pump
cup and needle valve gland. Other than that, it's dead reliable.

Modern unleaded gas is just the ticket. Coleman fuel will work OK, too, but
it's more expensive than automotive fuel.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I still have and still use one. About every two years, I make a new pump
cup and needle valve gland. Other than that, it's dead reliable.

Modern unleaded gas is just the ticket. Coleman fuel will work OK, too, but
it's more expensive than automotive fuel.

LLoyd

Humm, I still have mine too but the last time I used it was back
before unleaded gas was generally available here, except at Amoco
stations. I can't say for sure if modern gas would do any harm, but in
this area they load it up with anti-pollution chemicals and it is not
the same as the old fashioned fuel. I think the packing and leather
cup on my torch may be due for replacement if I ever use it again.
Nowdays I do my melting with a crucible furnace.

Mike

Old Craftsman blowtorch [email protected] Metalworking 8 January 28th 16 08:48 PM
Gas Blowtorch DavidM UK diy 21 February 3rd 07 09:41 AM
Safe! Cyril Bonnett UK diy 6 November 10th 05 01:52 AM
Where can I buy a blowtorch head that connects to a regular LP gas supply? i.e. not propane Peter UK diy 17 September 30th 05 10:56 PM