Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike[_7_] mike[_7_] is offline

Default Blowtorch

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:30:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have an ancient Ronson blowtorch that has become a pain in the

proverbial, and want a small, simple, reliable replacement. Not

a 'pen' model, though. Any suggestions?

The point is that I don't use it much, but

I use it for a wide variety of tasks when I do (including my wife

using it for creme brulee!) I really don't want yet more special

purpose tools :-(

Not sure how much use this is but I had a very basic Coleman Taymar from B&Q which was fine for my limited plumbing use for many years (it had a plastic saucer that clipped on to the bottom of the approx 6" canister to increase stability). When the gas ran out, B&Q had changed suppliers, so I replaced it with an Aldi Power Craft cheapie that has a Campingaz-style, squat, broad cylinder.

IIRC, the Coleman torch could be removed and the cylinder self-sealed but the Aldi torch has to stay on once you've pierced the cylinder.

The Aldi one is fine and, in use, I think I prefer it to the branded one.