Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double-glazing installation snag!

Hi folks,

I'm installing a fairly new PVC double-glazed window. When I removed the glazed units to make the frame easier to install, I was aghast to find that the units were securely stuck to the frame with 10mm-wide, 3mm thick double-sided adhesive foam tape. Other windows I've known had a nice rubber seal that one pulls out, and then pushes back into place after the external clip-strips are in place. I had to run a box cutter around the units to release them, thereby damging the foam tape. So now I'm faced with a choice of:

1) Trying to find a roll of identical foam adhesive tape to use after removing all of the old stuff (which would be time consuming, and also making way for another headache if ever I have to replace on of the units in future)..

OR
2) Doing the job some other way.

Does anyone have an alternative solution that works? I thought of buying some 5mm rubber tubing and pushing that in, around the edges of the internal side, after the clip-strips are back in place. Or even perhaps using silicone. Inserting a standard/typical rubber seal doesn't seem to be an option, because there is no special recess in the frame for it to snap into.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 08:16:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm installing a fairly new PVC double-glazed window. When I removed the glazed units to make the frame easier to install, I was aghast to find that the units were securely stuck to the frame with 10mm-wide, 3mm thick double-sided adhesive foam tape. Other windows I've known had a nice rubber seal that one pulls out, and then pushes back into place after the external clip-strips are in place.

So, OOI, what would happen if you removed the external glazing beads
on such windows, could you then just lift the glass out (and get into
the house)?

I had to run a box cutter around the units to release them, thereby damging the foam tape. So now I'm faced with a choice of:

1) Trying to find a roll of identical foam adhesive tape to use after removing all of the old stuff (which would be time consuming, and also making way for another headache if ever I have to replace on of the units in future).

OR
2) Doing the job some other way.

Does anyone have an alternative solution that works? I thought of buying some 5mm rubber tubing and pushing that in, around the edges of the internal side, after the clip-strips are back in place. Or even perhaps using silicone. Inserting a standard/typical rubber seal doesn't seem to be an option, because there is no special recess in the frame for it to snap into.

Isn't that because they aren't *designed* to be used that way (as Andy
mentions elsewhere)?

eg. If the Windows is *internally* glazed then yes, you would expect
to see a rubber seal between the DG unit and the frame and possibly
just the glazing bead on the inside. It can be that way as there is no
way of removing the glass from the outside to gain entry.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

His window *is* glazed internally, the self adhesive strip he refers to is
on the existing frame - the unit is pressed against this and then the
internal glazing beads areknocked on. I t was supposed to ease
installation - the glazed unti would stay put while you went and got the
tools/equipment to bead up etc. The only problems arose when the glass
wasn't perfectly square or needed other adjustment....nigh on impossible as
the tape was extremely strong.

To the OP, you need some replacement double sided tape, you can get it at a
local upvc window manufacturer. The push-in gasket hasn't been used for
decades and isn't suitable for this frame even if you could find some. The
sticky-tape variety you've got there hasn't been used for about 8 years or
so, almost all frames made now have a rubber seal built into the frame and
one on the beads

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 5:02:54 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:

His window *is* glazed internally, the self adhesive strip he refers to is
on the existing frame - the unit is pressed against this and then the
internal glazing beads areknocked on.

You've got it - except that the clip-strips are on the external side of the window.

I t was supposed to ease
installation - the glazed unti would stay put while you went and got the
tools/equipment to bead up etc. The only problems arose when the glass
wasn't perfectly square or needed other adjustment....nigh on impossible as
the tape was extremely strong.

Yes; that's just one of the headaches I am concerned about.

To the OP, you need some replacement double sided tape, you can get it at a
local upvc window manufacturer. The push-in gasket hasn't been used for
decades and isn't suitable for this frame even if you could find some. The
sticky-tape variety you've got there hasn't been used for about 8 years or
so, almost all frames made now have a rubber seal built into the frame and
one on the beads

The external clip strips have built-in rubber seals, but internally, the adhesive foam strips served as a seal. Apart from the issue of someone being able to remove the strip and then the glass and gain entry, I'm inclined to buy some 4mm neoprene tubing to serve as a push-in internal seal. The window is on the first floor, so it's not going to be an obvious entry point for a burglar.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Where does he say that OOI?

the self adhesive strip he refers to is
on the existing frame - the unit is pressed against this and then the
internal glazing beads areknocked on.

Or external. ;-)

I t was supposed to ease
installation - the glazed unti would stay put while you went and got the
tools/equipment to bead up etc.

Ok, that may be the case but I'm not sure that is the case in this
case? ;-)

The only problems arose when the glass
wasn't perfectly square or needed other adjustment....nigh on impossible as
the tape was extremely strong.

Quite.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 4:42:07 PM UTC+1, T i m wrote:

So, OOI, what would happen if you removed the external glazing beads
on such windows, could you then just lift the glass out (and get into
the house)?

I've often thought of this whenever I've seen windows with external slip strips. In my case, the window is high up, so not easy to examine up close. Using double-sided foam tape again, does make the sealed glazing units impossible to remove from the outside.

Does anyone have an alternative solution that works? I thought of buying some 5mm rubber tubing and pushing that in, around the edges of the internal side, after the clip-strips are back in place. Or even perhaps using silicone. Inserting a standard/typical rubber seal doesn't seem to be an option, because there is no special recess in the frame for it to snap into.

Isn't that because they aren't *designed* to be used that way (as Andy
mentions elsewhere)?

Exactly so, but I think it would still be quite feasible to push-fit some neoprene tubing or square-section foam beading or suchlike, to pack out the gap and act as the inner seal.

Al

eg. If the Windows is *internally* glazed then yes, you would expect
to see a rubber seal between the DG unit and the frame and possibly
just the glazing bead on the inside. It can be that way as there is no
way of removing the glass from the outside to gain entry.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 4:23:55 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

I don't know if you're likely to be able to use rubber seals on frames
designed for fixing with glazing tape, this is the sort of stuff you
need to track down ...

https://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=813

Thank you for that. I took 'the middle path' and got single-sided adhesive stuff, to avoid major headaches. I don't see it as being a significant security risk, the window is upstairs amongst other factors.

I'm not gonna reveal the address though! ;-))

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 09:52:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 4:42:07 PM UTC+1, T i m wrote:

So, OOI, what would happen if you removed the external glazing beads
on such windows, could you then just lift the glass out (and get into
the house)?

I've often thought of this whenever I've seen windows with external slip strips. In my case, the window is high up, so not easy to examine up close.

That helps. ;-)

Using double-sided foam tape again, does make the sealed glazing units impossible to remove from the outside.

Quite. I must admit I though that solution was a bit 'crude' when we
installed them over 20 years ago but it seems that is how it's done.

Does anyone have an alternative solution that works? I thought of buying some 5mm rubber tubing and pushing that in, around the edges of the internal side, after the clip-strips are back in place. Or even perhaps using silicone. Inserting a standard/typical rubber seal doesn't seem to be an option, because there is no special recess in the frame for it to snap into.

Isn't that because they aren't *designed* to be used that way (as Andy
mentions elsewhere)?

Exactly so, but I think it would still be quite feasible to push-fit some neoprene tubing or square-section foam beading or suchlike, to pack out the gap and act as the inner seal.

But I'm not sure it needs to be an 'inner seal' as such (but does also
provide that etc) but something to stop someone on the outside simply
removing the glazing beads and then the DG units?

If the DG unit is externally glazed and you just rely on the fact that
the external glazing beads (to fix the glass in place), I'm not sure
what your house insurance would say (other than 'bye'). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/16 16:16, wrote:
[...]

Wait - are these externally beaded? Is this therefore a "security tape"
that means that a burglar cannot easily degaze the windows from outside?

Rare - because all the ones I've worked with in the last 10 years have
been internally beaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 18:59:36 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 08/10/16 16:16, wrote:
[...]

That was my interpretation of the situation.

Is this therefore a "security tape"
that means that a burglar cannot easily degaze the windows from outside?

Quite.

Rare - because all the ones I've worked with in the last 10 years have
been internally beaded.

Not rare here but as you reference ... they were fitted 20+ years ago.
;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2016 18:43, T i m wrote:

If the DG unit is externally glazed and you just rely on the fact that
the external glazing beads (to fix the glass in place), I'm not sure
what your house insurance would say (other than 'bye'). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Most of my thermal break aluminium DG windows (a few years old now!)
have glazing beads on the outside. But you can't remove them without
pushing the DG unit inwards - for which you first have to remove the
gasket strip on the *inside*. So they're quite secure, without needing
any adhesive tape.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 20:53:30 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 08/10/2016 18:43, T i m wrote:

If the DG unit is externally glazed and you just rely on the fact that
the external glazing beads (to fix the glass in place), I'm not sure
what your house insurance would say (other than 'bye'). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Most of my thermal break aluminium DG windows (a few years old now!)
have glazing beads on the outside. But you can't remove them without
pushing the DG unit inwards - for which you first have to remove the
gasket strip on the *inside*. So they're quite secure, without needing
any adhesive tape.

Understood. Thanks for the design option update. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That sounds a bit short sighted on the manufacturing side. I wonder why
they did it this way. Could it be to discourage you accidentally fixing the
frame with a twist or warp thereby making it impossible to refit the glass
or damage it trying?
Either way, it would take a lot of bodies to put a window with glazing in
place in I'd have thought.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/16 07:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
That sounds a bit short sighted on the manufacturing side. I wonder why
they did it this way. Could it be to discourage you accidentally fixing the
frame with a twist or warp thereby making it impossible to refit the glass
or damage it trying?
Either way, it would take a lot of bodies to put a window with glazing in
place in I'd have thought.
Brian

Weird - all the DG I have fitted (7 windows, 2 manufacturers) has come
un glazed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 7:53:24 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
That sounds a bit short sighted on the manufacturing side. I wonder why
they did it this way.

To me, it seems so illogical to design a window with the glazing beads on the external side, that I'm wondering if the frame was really designed to be used that way. The only thing that suggests that they have to be on the external side, is the orientation of the opening part (casement). I'm now wondering if the casement was installed into the frame on the wrong side! Is there anything stopping me from removing the casement along with its hinges and simply reinstalling it so it opens to the reverse side? Then when I install the window, the glazing beads would be internal. That would correct the security issue and also make the DG units so much easier to install - with no ladder work involved.

If I did that, would the closed-cell neoprene foam adhesive-on-both-sides strip would be okay on the external side of the window? The stuff I purchased yesterday claims to be very weather resistant, but people claim all sorts of things when they want to sell something...

Re the age of this design of window: I acquired the window only two years ago, and it was pristine and in it's factory shrink-wrap. I suppose it could have been in storage for a long time prior.

Thanks to all for the input.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 9:58:38 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/10/16 07:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
That sounds a bit short sighted on the manufacturing side. I wonder why
they did it this way.

Me too. It seems totally illogical to me.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

That sounds a bit short sighted on the manufacturing side.

Note that Mr sdsdfg did refer to it as a "fairly new" window and
recently asked a question about removing and re-fitting a window rotated
by 90 degrees ... so I assume it didn't come from the factory with the
glazing taped in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 10:30:33 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

That sounds a bit short sighted on the manufacturing side.

Note that Mr sdsdfg did refer to it as a "fairly new" window and
recently asked a question about removing and re-fitting a window rotated
by 90 degrees ... so I assume it didn't come from the factory with the
glazing taped in place.

The glazing was in place as I received it, shrink-wrap intact. The other window question about rotating a window 90-degrees was re a different window - just to clarify.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Have you considered the possibility that it was designed to have inward
opening casements? DOI - recently fitted inward opening
floating-mullion windows which we like. (Apart from the
brass-colour-painted otherwise unprotected mild still catch plates.)

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 1:52:12 PM UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Such thoughts did cross my mind, but looking at the window in detail, it does seem to have been designed to open outwardly.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 October 2016 16:16:46 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

I'm astonished the beads are external.
Haven't seen a window like that for years.
Most are internal for security reasons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 09:05:58 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

I'm astonished the beads are external.
Haven't seen a window like that for years.
Most are internal for security reasons.

Please explain how externally glazed windows (or this type) are in any
way less secure than internally glazed windows harry?

this should be fun but it's getting more like shooting fish in a
barrel these days with him. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2016 18:28, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 09:05:58 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

I'm astonished the beads are external.
Haven't seen a window like that for years.
Most are internal for security reasons.

Please explain how externally glazed windows (or this type) are in any
way less secure than internally glazed windows harry?

this should be fun but it's getting more like shooting fish in a
barrel these days with him. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

There are some windows whose beads can be easily prized off, allowing
the glass to be removed.

Not all windows are like that, however. I noted a few days ago that, to
remove the beads on my aluminium windows, you need to move them inwards
a bit to unhook them, needing the glass to be moved inwards, in turn
needing the gasket strips on the inside to be removed. So, even though
the beads are on the outside, you can't remove them - and the glass -
without having access to the inside.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 21:52:50 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 09/10/2016 18:28, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 09:05:58 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

I'm astonished the beads are external.
Haven't seen a window like that for years.
Most are internal for security reasons.

Please explain how externally glazed windows (or this type) are in any
way less secure than internally glazed windows harry?

this should be fun but it's getting more like shooting fish in a
barrel these days with him. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

There are some windows whose beads can be easily prized off, allowing
the glass to be removed.

Really? Are you sure the installer didn't forget to use the double
sided tape? I can't see how something like that would ever get any
insurance approval like that?

Not all windows are like that, however.

I should think not. ;-)

I noted a few days ago that, to
remove the beads on my aluminium windows, you need to move them inwards
a bit to unhook them, needing the glass to be moved inwards, in turn
needing the gasket strips on the inside to be removed. So, even though
the beads are on the outside, you can't remove them - and the glass -
without having access to the inside.

Yes, I think that system was mentioned elsewhere.

Ours all use the DS tape idea and I know you can easy take the
external glazing bead out, you would have to smash the glass to get
the DG unit out.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

On 09/10/2016 18:28, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 09:05:58 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

[...]

Although hasn't the OP managed the very same
?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Al wrote:

[...]

When I removed the old foam tape, I was surprised to find a 1/10"-wide channel underneath. I'm wondering if this was put there to accept the more typical type of removable rubber seal. So now I'm wondering if I should try and source some to use instead of the foam tape. Or would I be taking a gamble as to whether it would be the right thickness and suchlike?? Maybe I can find a "universal" seal that might work. I'm apprehensive about how easy the external beads will to install if I use the foam tape, as before.

TIA

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 1:27:30 PM UTC+1, Al wrote:

When I removed the old foam tape, I was surprised to find a 1/10"-wide channel underneath. I'm wondering if this was put there to accept the more typical type of removable rubber seal. So now I'm wondering if I should try and source some to use instead of the foam tape. Or would I be taking a gamble as to whether it would be the right thickness and suchlike?? Maybe I can find a "universal" seal that might work. I'm apprehensive about how easy the external beads will to install if I use the foam tape, as before.

PS.. To be more exact, the channel is 2.5mm wide and 5mm deep. I found these universal seals online:

http://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/up...glazing-seals/

Which one would be my best bet? (the old foam tape was 2.5mm to 3mm thick.)

TIA
Al

D I Y Double Glazing Jb UK diy 23 June 13th 14 11:02 AM
double-glazing......... Gill Smith UK diy 18 February 3rd 11 06:30 PM
Double Glazing Red Devil UK diy 4 January 2nd 08 08:25 PM
Double Glazing - not the best ... CJB UK diy 2 December 23rd 07 12:13 AM
Double Glazing Installation [email protected] UK diy 4 October 19th 07 09:14 AM