Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disabling a house alarm

The alarm outside our house has become extremely difficult to access,
due to building work (removing a rusty fire escape
put in when the building was an orphanage).

I'm wondering if it is possible to disable it internally?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 October 2016 14:36:40 UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:

The alarm outside our house has become extremely difficult to access,
due to building work (removing a rusty fire escape
put in when the building was an orphanage).

I'm wondering if it is possible to disable it internally?

Of course. It'll likely trigger but the backup battery will flatten if it works at all.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 October 2016 16:01:09 UTC+1, Ash Burton wrote:
On 07/10/2016 15:12, Timothy Murphy wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 7 October 2016 14:36:40 UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:

The alarm outside our house has become extremely difficult to access,
due to building work (removing a rusty fire escape
put in when the building was an orphanage).

I'm wondering if it is possible to disable it internally?

Of course. It'll likely trigger but the backup battery will flatten if it
works at all.

Yes, I know that, as it goes off if I disconnect the circuit breaker
for the utility room where it is based (and the kitchen).
Is there no way of avoiding this?
Also, are there clear instructions anywhere on what to do
after disconnecting the circuit?

what do you want to do?

If you wish to completely disable the alarm system,after disconnecting
the main supply you would need to disconnect the battery in the
'siren/bell box'and also the one in the alarm system control panel.

since he can't reach it the only realistic option is just disconnect it. It won't alarm forever.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 October 2016 22:19:55 UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Also, are there clear instructions anywhere on what to do
after disconnecting the circuit?

what do you want to do?

I'd like to leave open the possibility of re-using it later
(with a different external alarm).

Disconnecting it doesn't prevent that. The axe method would.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought that having a placeyou cannot get to is not a good move as
how the heck can it be decorated or repaired?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
The alarm outside our house has become extremely difficult to access,
due to building work (removing a rusty fire escape
put in when the building was an orphanage).

I'm wondering if it is possible to disable it internally?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 October 2016 00:43:23 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/10/2016 22:29, tabbypurr wrote:

I'd like to leave open the possibility of re-using it later
(with a different external alarm).

If you disconnect it and let it ring until the battery is flat the
battery would be ruined after a short time.

Of course. What else do you propose, keep it on charge so it can sound forevermore? Honestly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 14:36:37 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

The alarm outside our house has become extremely difficult to access,
due to building work (removing a rusty fire escape
put in when the building was an orphanage).

I'm wondering if it is possible to disable it internally?

Yes (or maybe).
Method depends on Make/model of alarm panel and of bell box.
I had to do that while replacing the panel in my daughter's alarm
system.
There may be 4, 5 or even 6 wires from the bell/strobe and there are
multiple wiring schemes between different bell and panel
manufacturers.
Some modern alarms may have an external sounder disable function
buried in the engineer menus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 October 2016 16:59:36 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/10/2016 14:05, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 8 October 2016 00:43:23 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/10/2016 22:29, tabbypurr wrote:

I'd like to leave open the possibility of re-using it later
(with a different external alarm).

If you disconnect it and let it ring until the battery is flat the
battery would be ruined after a short time.

Of course. What else do you propose, keep it on charge so it can sound forevermore? Honestly.

He said he might want to re-use it at a later date. At least that's one
interpretation of his ambiguous post. Clever dickey!

Bill

He can reuse it. The alarm box backup battery just won't run it if its wiring is cut.

If you're proposing to keep the battery serviceable without accessing it you'd need to read the manual, which the OP evidently doesn't have, and I doubt it would be workable. Usenet turns another simple job into a pointless discussion.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
By "possibly re-use it", I meant re-use the alarm system
with a different external alarm.
Incidentally, the alarm has gone off a couple of times,
and the battery in the external alarm dies down after about 20 minutes,
so I guess it is not in the best of health anyway.

Think they have to stop after about that time by law anyway. So the
internal battery may be OK.

If it has gone off randomly, no problem then if it does go off when you
disconnect it. I'd not just cut the cable as there's the (remote)
possibility of shorting the 12v output from the panel and damaging
something. Switch off the mains to the panel, open it up, disconnect the
battery if fitted, and then the bell box. Use earplugs if needed.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 October 2016 11:36:43 UTC+1, Timothy Murphy wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

He said he might want to re-use it at a later date. At least that's one
interpretation of his ambiguous post. Clever dickey!

He can reuse it. The alarm box backup battery just won't run it if its
wiring is cut.

If you're proposing to keep the battery serviceable without accessing it
you'd need to read the manual, which the OP evidently doesn't have, and I
doubt it would be workable. Usenet turns another simple job into a
pointless discussion.

By "possibly re-use it", I meant re-use the alarm system
with a different external alarm.

nothing to stop you doing that if it's compatible.

Incidentally, the alarm has gone off a couple of times,
and the battery in the external alarm dies down after about 20 minutes,
so I guess it is not in the best of health anyway.

Is that running from the bellbox backup battery or the main panel battery?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

By "possibly re-use it", I meant re-use the alarm system
with a different external alarm.

So the external alarm isn't of value? My shotgun solution wasn't such
a daft idea then! :-)

Incidentally, the alarm has gone off a couple of times,
and the battery in the external alarm dies down after about 20 minutes,
so I guess it is not in the best of health anyway.

But be aware that many external alarm systems are timed so as not to
drive the neighbours to distraction. Times can be changed if you have
engineer access to the programme. My own system allows for external
alarm periods of 1.5, 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes, with the default
being 15 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll see it I can work out who made the alarm,
and see if I can find the appropriate manual.

Wireless house alarm John UK diy 4 October 29th 10 02:13 PM
Prewiring alarm for a new house John Smith Home Repair 119 May 1st 04 04:31 PM
House alarm fault, help please. Chris Wilson UK diy 16 October 31st 03 02:56 PM
Disabling Burglar/Fire Alarm Dave Home Ownership 4 October 19th 03 02:36 PM