Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw - Bosch or Makita

My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

Bosch do do a cheaper range with 1800W and chainspeed of 9m/s which may
be a good option as its really only used for logging and occasional tree
felling of softwoods up to about a foot diameter.

Anyone any experience of the two manufacturers please or could offer
views on the difference I would find between chainspeed of 12m/s vs 9m/s.

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc) or petrol as it won't get used
enough.

Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 October 2016 15:14:01 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:

My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

Bosch do do a cheaper range with 1800W and chainspeed of 9m/s which may
be a good option as its really only used for logging and occasional tree
felling of softwoods up to about a foot diameter.

Anyone any experience of the two manufacturers please or could offer

The Bosch seems a good tool, but having not used a chainsaw in ages I might be easily pleased. The chains are £24 from Machine Mart, who I don't recommend.

Makita is generally much better than Bosch, but I've not used a Mak chainsaw.

views on the difference I would find between chainspeed of 12m/s vs 9m/s.

cut speed

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc)

Mak are pro tools

or petrol as it won't get used
enough.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

I have an old B&D which I replaced with a Bosch which died. The old
B&D still works.

I now have a Makita which I like, it's the one with the motor mounted
along the length of the saw as opposed to the conventional at right
angles.

I can find model numbers if it's of interest.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 15:13, Mark Allread wrote:
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

Bosch do do a cheaper range with 1800W and chainspeed of 9m/s which may
be a good option as its really only used for logging and occasional tree
felling of softwoods up to about a foot diameter.

Anyone any experience of the two manufacturers please or could offer
views on the difference I would find between chainspeed of 12m/s vs 9m/s.

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc) or petrol as it won't get used
enough.

I have a basic 35mm Makita (probably the UC3520A, I can check) which
doesn't get used much but works well when it does. It was bought for a
fairly large tree (about 30cm trunk diameter) and handled that. I should
add that it was not used to cut it down; we dug it out and winched it
over to get as much of the root as possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 16:25:00 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Mark Allread wrote:
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

I have an old B&D which I replaced with a Bosch which died.

Just when out of warranty too I guess?

I now have a Makita which I like, it's the one with the motor mounted
along the length of the saw as opposed to the conventional at right
angles.

I *think* that all the new Makitas and probably lots of others are like
that these days.

I can find model numbers if it's of interest.

Thanks - I've had a look on the Makita website and there's not that many
electric ones so I'll just have a proper browse there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 08:16:06 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Thursday, 6 October 2016 15:14:01 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc)

Mak are pro tools

For drills and such-like but I doubt that many pros will use a Makita
chainsaw - Stihl and Husqvarna are the pro's weapons of favour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

I have an old B&D which I replaced with a Bosch which died.

Just when out of warranty too I guess?

I think it died with a shorted turn in the motor, but it's quite a
while ago.

I now have a Makita which I like, it's the one with the motor mounted
along the length of the saw as opposed to the conventional at right
angles.

I *think* that all the new Makitas and probably lots of others are like
that these days.

I can find model numbers if it's of interest.

Thanks - I've had a look on the Makita website and there's not that many
electric ones so I'll just have a proper browse there.

The old B&D is a GK430, 1500 watts, I must have bought it back in the
mid 1990s, it's still functional though the chain brake isn't what it
was.

The Bosch (that's dead) is an AKE40-17S, 1700 watts.

The Makita is a UC4030A, 2000 watt.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 October 2016 17:02:55 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 08:16:06 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 6 October 2016 15:14:01 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc)

Mak are pro tools

For drills and such-like but I doubt that many pros will use a Makita
chainsaw - Stihl and Husqvarna are the pro's weapons of favour.

Yes, but in terms of build quality.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new
corded electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch
AKE40-19s or 35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no
experience of them whatsoever so welcome input.

I can find model numbers if it's of interest.

Thanks - I've had a look on the Makita website and there's not that
many electric ones so I'll just have a proper browse there.

The old B&D is a GK430, 1500 watts, I must have bought it back in the
mid 1990s, it's still functional though the chain brake isn't what it
was.

Chain brake is IMO probably the most important thing to have working
properly.

But my old B&D was mid 80's and 1300W so yours is relatively modern in
comparison

The Bosch (that's dead) is an AKE40-17S, 1700 watts.

The Makita is a UC4030A, 2000 watt.

Thanks for that - I'll check it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 15:13, Mark Allread wrote:
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

Bosch do do a cheaper range with 1800W and chainspeed of 9m/s which may
be a good option as its really only used for logging and occasional tree
felling of softwoods up to about a foot diameter.

Anyone any experience of the two manufacturers please or could offer
views on the difference I would find between chainspeed of 12m/s vs 9m/s.

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc) or petrol as it won't get used
enough.

Ta.

I bought a Bosch AKE 40S earlier this year (Homebase were the cheapest
stockist BTW) and have been very pleased with it. The brake is VERY fast
acting, and there's lots of power. I've had the chain come off a couple
of times but that's when I've been deep in undergrowth using it in a way
it probably wasn't designed to cope with. It would be good if the cable
were longer (but that's easily fixed with the appropriate tuit).
Overall: very pleased.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 17:02, Mark Allread wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 08:16:06 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Thursday, 6 October 2016 15:14:01 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc)

Mak are pro tools

For drills and such-like but I doubt that many pros will use a Makita
chainsaw - Stihl and Husqvarna are the pro's weapons of favour.

Mak chainsaws are made by Dolmar (they bought out Dolmar in the early
'90s IIRC), and they do have a pro following.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 October 2016 15:14:01 UTC+1, Mark Allread wrote:
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded
electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or
35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience of them
whatsoever so welcome input.

Bosch do do a cheaper range with 1800W and chainspeed of 9m/s which may
be a good option as its really only used for logging and occasional tree
felling of softwoods up to about a foot diameter.

Anyone any experience of the two manufacturers please or could offer
views on the difference I would find between chainspeed of 12m/s vs 9m/s.

I do *not* want a pro tool (Stihl etc) or petrol as it won't get used
enough.

Ta.

I have had a Bosch for about six years.
In regular light use.
Seems OK.
One useful feature is that it has a filter to keep wood chips out of the oil tank.
No tools needed to dismantle/adjust the chain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 22:56:26 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Mak chainsaws are made by Dolmar (they bought out Dolmar in the early
'90s IIRC), and they do have a pro following.

That's right, interestingly as they are a minor player they don't have
to go down the route of stratified charge and electronically
controlled carburetors which Stihl and Husky do, as a result they are
good basic old school saws, I had a 50cc one kept as the yard saw but
it was as heavy as a 60cc Stihl and doesn't have the performance of
the professional MS261 and husky 560 but should last better.

Nothing to do with electric saws though.

AJH