Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch AK42 Chainsaw leaking oil when stored.

As the title says, my AK42 looses oil and makes a mess.

There was a small foam strip that came away from where I assume the
lubricator outlet is, but it did not seem to serve any purpose.

Has anyone stripped the oil mpump on one of these?

Regards

HN

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

H. Neary wrote:
As the title says, my AK42 looses oil and makes a mess.

There was a small foam strip that came away from where I assume the
lubricator outlet is, but it did not seem to serve any purpose.

Has anyone stripped the oil mpump on one of these?

I'd guess it has what I found a while ago on one I stripped (I'm not
quite sure if it was my old Bosch or my very old B&D). The oil pump
is a very simple cam driven plunger type thing, completely internal so
I'd not expect the oil pump to have anything to do with an oil leak.

I don't think I'd expect total oil tightness in such a device because
the oil is supposed to sort of fall onto the chain anyway. Just drain
most of the oil out and store it in a plastic bag (the chain saw that
is, not the oil!).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 December 2015 14:01:53 UTC, H. Neary wrote:
As the title says, my AK42 looses oil and makes a mess.

There was a small foam strip that came away from where I assume the
lubricator outlet is, but it did not seem to serve any purpose.

Has anyone stripped the oil mpump on one of these?

Regards

They nearly all leak as they get older.
You may well find if you store it a certain way up, the oil doesn't leak out.
I try to run mine out of oil before I store it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 14:02:08 +0000, H. Neary
wrote:

As the title says, my AK42 looses oil and makes a mess.

There was a small foam strip that came away from where I assume the
lubricator outlet is, but it did not seem to serve any purpose.

Has anyone stripped the oil mpump on one of these?

Most saws do, often the pump is a rotary plunger working on an axial
cam, the oil can leak past the sides of the plunger, from a breather
and simply from residual oil in the outlet. Store it on a newspaper.

If you use OSR as the lubricant and don't intend using it for a while
empty the tank and run a small amount of mineral oil through.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated motor and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if the oil delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to provide a way to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in the deposit. (so I need to refill everytime I use it again)

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...d-1096460-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2021 16:31, Patxitxi wrote:
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated motor
and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if the oil
delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to provide a way
to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in the deposit. (so I
need to refill every time I use it again)

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ... not
much you can do about it except turn it upside down and drain the oil ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 15/03/2021 16:31, Patxitxi wrote:
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated motor and
mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if the oil delivery
was not thought properly (was it so difficult to provide a way to
regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in the deposit. (so I need
to refill every time I use it again)

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ...

My chainsaws dont.

not much you can do about it except turn it upside down and drain the oil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 04:56:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ...

My chainsaws don¢t.

Of COURSE they don't, you clinically insane auto-contradicting sociopath!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Patxitxi explained :
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated motor and
mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if the oil delivery was
not thought properly (was it so difficult to provide a way to regulate the
oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in the deposit. (so I need to refill
everytime I use it again)

I dare say it has lost many gallons of oil, since this was originally
posted five years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 15/03/2021 16:31, Patxitxi wrote:
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated
motor and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if
the oil delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to
provide a way to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in
the deposit. (so I need to refill every time I use it again)

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ...

My chainsaws dont.

mine does

There's a claim here, the oil is propelled
by an oil pump that runs off the throttle.

https://opereviews.com/news/how-does...aw-oiler-work/

The chainsaw sump is only meant for chainsaw oil, not motor oil,
not synthetic (low viscosity) motor oil.

Chainsaw oils (red tinted) come in "summer" and "winter",
the winter being thinner for low temperature outside work.
Like felling trees after an ice storm. The summer oil is
thicker, so some of it will stay on the bar and chain.

And that's different than the mechanism that keeps a
gasoline engine piston lubricated. That's just the chain oiler
mechanism. The chain oiler window should have the "red tint"
showing.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/3/21 4:56 am, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 15/03/2021 16:31, Patxitxi wrote:
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated motor
and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if the oil
delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to provide a
way to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in the deposit.
(so I need to refill every time I use it again)

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ...

My chainsaws dont.

not much you can do about it except turn it upside down and drain the
oil ....

store it on whichever side leaks less.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 15/03/2021 16:31, Patxitxi wrote:
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated motor
and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if the oil
delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to provide a way
to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in the deposit. (so I
need to refill every time I use it again)

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ...

My chainsaws dont.

not much you can do about it except turn it upside down and drain the
oil ....

store it on whichever side leaks less.

Mine dont leak at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 15/03/2021 16:31, Patxitxi wrote:
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated
motor and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if
the oil delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to
provide a way to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in
the deposit. (so I need to refill every time I use it again)

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ...

My chainsaws dont.

mine does

There's a claim here, the oil is propelled
by an oil pump that runs off the throttle.

https://opereviews.com/news/how-does...aw-oiler-work/

Well it's certainly wrong for one of my (three) chainsaws, mine had a
little cam driven pump. Admittedly mine are electric so running off
the throttle isn't very likely! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 15:06:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Mine don¢t leak at all.

Of COURSE not, you abnormal auto-contradicting senile cretin! BG

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Paul wrote:
There's a claim here, the oil is propelled
by an oil pump that runs off the throttle.

https://opereviews.com/news/how-does...aw-oiler-work/

Well it's certainly wrong for one of my (three) chainsaws, mine had a
little cam driven pump. Admittedly mine are electric so running off
the throttle isn't very likely! :-)

Mine has been sitting on a sheet of plastic for quite a while,
and no signs of leakage, and the reservoir is usually at least
half full.

Maybe some part of the housing isn't tight.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes? Even if stored 24 hours? 😂

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...d-1096460-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 15/03/2021 16:31, Patxitxi wrote:
Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated
motor and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if
the oil delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to
provide a way to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in
the deposit. (so I need to refill every time I use it again)

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ...

My chainsaws dont.

mine does

There's a claim here, the oil is propelled
by an oil pump that runs off the throttle.

https://opereviews.com/news/how-does...aw-oiler-work/

Well it's certainly wrong for one of my (three) chainsaws, mine
had a little cam driven pump. Admittedly mine are electric

Yeah, so are mine.

so running off the throttle isn't very likely! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul" wrote in message
Chris Green wrote:
Paul wrote:
There's a claim here, the oil is propelled
by an oil pump that runs off the throttle.

https://opereviews.com/news/how-does...aw-oiler-work/

Well it's certainly wrong for one of my (three) chainsaws, mine had a
little cam driven pump. Admittedly mine are electric so running off
the throttle isn't very likely! :-)

Mine has been sitting on a sheet of plastic for quite a while,
and no signs of leakage, and the reservoir is usually at least
half full.

Neither of mine leak, but they are both electric.

Maybe some part of the housing isn't tight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 04:12:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Neither of mine leak, but they are both electric.

It's YOU who leaks all the time, senile ****head!