Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble Dryer Fires

Just reading the downloaded instructions for use for a current model
Bosch tumble dryer. Contains this paragraph:

Caution!
Risk of fire. Laundry may catch fire.
If you cancel the programme, you must
remove the laundry items and spread
them out so that the heat can disperse.

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/porta...ORTALFRAME.HTM

My question, if this is serious and not just arse-covering, surely the
laundry could catch fire if there is a power cut. That being the case,
and the fact many/most power cuts are not predicted (nor predictable),
wouldn't we have to run back to the house to spread the laundry out
whenever there is a power cut and we are using the dryer?

Have no intention of going out with it running, but given the home
connect feature, it is obviously what Bosch are expecting people to do.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 23:00:58 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

Just reading the downloaded instructions for use for a current model
Bosch tumble dryer. Contains this paragraph:

Caution!
Risk of fire. Laundry may catch fire.
If you cancel the programme, you must
remove the laundry items and spread
them out so that the heat can disperse.

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/porta...ORTALFRAME.HTM

My question, if this is serious and not just arse-covering, surely the
laundry could catch fire if there is a power cut. That being the case,
and the fact many/most power cuts are not predicted (nor predictable),
wouldn't we have to run back to the house to spread the laundry out
whenever there is a power cut and we are using the dryer?

Have no intention of going out with it running, but given the home
connect feature, it is obviously what Bosch are expecting people to do.

Teutonic grade arse covering.

Incidentally, the link you posted just returns a minimalist page
saying, "No correct login"

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/16 23:00, polygonum wrote:
Just reading the downloaded instructions for use for a current model
Bosch tumble dryer. Contains this paragraph:

Caution!
Risk of fire. Laundry may catch fire.
If you cancel the programme, you must
remove the laundry items and spread
them out so that the heat can disperse.

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/porta...ORTALFRAME.HTM

My question, if this is serious and not just arse-covering, surely the
laundry could catch fire if there is a power cut. That being the case,
and the fact many/most power cuts are not predicted (nor predictable),
wouldn't we have to run back to the house to spread the laundry out
whenever there is a power cut and we are using the dryer?

Have no intention of going out with it running, but given the home
connect feature, it is obviously what Bosch are expecting people to do.

I would have said that in practise, it is very unlikely. At uni, we had
some almighty big gas tumble dryers in the laundrette. They had no cool
down cycle and the clothes came out red hot - if you pulled a synthetic
pair of trousers out, you literally lit the room up in static sparks.

And they used to just stop and sit in a pile when the token time ran out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 23:01:01 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
[...]

I used to run maintenance on a commercial laundry.
This perfectly true and is a common cause of laundry fires.
(The other being dust.)
The laundry catches fire for the same cause as damp hay starts barn fires..
Cotton and woolens being the worst culprits.
The bigger the load, the more likely it is to happen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

harry Wrote in message:
[...]

Mmm all that bacteria and glucose in the washed clothes....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So are they saying that it is merely the already warmed washing that is the
risk? How can that possibly be the case. Where would the energy come from if
its off either through a power cut or its turned off.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"polygonum" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 23:01:01 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
My question, if this is serious and not just arse-covering, surely the
laundry could catch fire if there is a power cut. That being the case,
and the fact many/most power cuts are not predicted (nor predictable),
wouldn't we have to run back to the house to spread the laundry out
whenever there is a power cut and we are using the dryer?

Have no intention of going out with it running, but given the home
connect feature, it is obviously what Bosch are expecting people to do.

--
Rod

I used to run maintenance on a commercial laundry.
This perfectly true and is a common cause of laundry fires.
(The other being dust.)
The laundry catches fire for the same cause as damp hay starts barn fires..

I don't think so, Harry. Heated green hay gives off Phosphine gas from
the breakdown of plant cells containing phosphorous. The gas is highly
flammable.
Cotton and woolens being the worst culprits.
The bigger the load, the more likely it is to happen.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 September 2016 07:45:01 UTC+1, jim wrote:
Mmm all that bacteria and glucose in the washed clothes....

Are you referring to Mr Watts' synthetic trousers in his student days?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 September 2016 09:11:43 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
[...]

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ay-catch-fire/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
[...]

In a pile of hot laundry the heat can't escape.
Bacterial action/oils and greases oxidising adds to the heat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
[...]

Also, as soon as the power is cut the airflow stops and the smallish amount
of residual heat in the element(s), if the cut happens while the heating is
on, further heats the load.
It's a bit like turning off the water/power in an electric shower - the
kettle boils.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2016 08:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
So are they saying that it is merely the already warmed washing that is the
risk? How can that possibly be the case. Where would the energy come from if
its off either through a power cut or its turned off.

That is my take as well, Brian.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
[...]

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....d-stacked-hay-
catch-fire/

Part of the explanation. I don't think damp hay or straw is going to
burst into flames at 230deg F. Manure/compost heaps get hot but you
don't see them burning.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"polygonum" wrote in message
[...]

What sort of bacteria is this?

Pasteur springs to mind here.....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 September 2016 20:37:57 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
On 23/09/2016 08:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
So are they saying that it is merely the already warmed washing that is the
risk? How can that possibly be the case. Where would the energy come from if
its off either through a power cut or its turned off.

That is my take as well, Brian.

--
Rod

It comes from the stored energy in the cloth fibres.
As if you were burning it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
[...]

But that heat clearly doesnt cause the laundry
to catch fire when the power is still present.

Bacterial action/oils and greases oxidising adds to the heat.

There shouldnt be any of that in the washed laundry that is being dried.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
[...]

I've forked one and found ash in the centrer. That was grass cuttings
from an acre and a half.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2016-09-23, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
[...]

Apart from the one in an adjacent field that burst into flames on Thursday.

Oh! They've gone back to school he-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
[...]

Sure it was ash? The residue from fungal (I think) attack can be a light
coloured powder. I sold some stored hay at auction years ago. When the
buyer started carting the stack he showed me where some damp bales had
heated causing a plume of ashy discolouration in the layers above.

The only *accidental* hay fire here was thought to be triggered by a
spark from a tractor exhaust on *overrun* carting grain in the nearby
lane. The timing was right, no one was seen running away and there was
some doubt about the *fit for storage* quality of the hay. The phosphine
gas explanation was put forward by the loss adjuster employed by NFU
Mutual.

Curiously, cattle love to eat the partly composted edge of bales that
have been stored in contact with the soil.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2016-09-24, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Huge
writes

Part of the explanation. I don't think damp hay or straw is going to
burst into flames at 230deg F. Manure/compost heaps get hot but you
don't see them burning.

Apart from the one in an adjacent field that burst into flames on Thursday.

Oh! They've gone back to school he-)

It really *is* in the middle of nowhere. I'd be really surprised if it
had been arson.

The last cattle left here in 2006 but the annual gathering of bedding
straw and manure from a dairy herd of 45 plus a dozen or so followers
never managed to do more than get hot. Prior to DEFRA getting excited
about disease transmission, it was the traditional disposal method for
small deadstock. When dung was loaded and spread by hand, I remember
finding a composted calf! All that was left was the grass contents of
the rumen. Presumably preserved by some chemical magic.

The agricultural community are waiting for the *disappeared* Pole to
turn up when some dung is spread in a future episode of the Archers:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:11:11 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Heated green hay gives off Phosphine gas from
the breakdown of plant cells containing phosphorous. The gas is highly
flammable.

It's auto ignition temperature is very low so it ignites in the
presence of air. I was given the presence of silane or phosphine as
the source of ignition of swamp gas (methane) as in will o' the wisp,
a phenomenon I have never witnessed.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes
On 2016-09-23, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
[...]

Used to be largest single cause of farm fires - and caused a few deaths
too.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2016 09:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
I don't think so, Harry. Heated green hay gives off Phosphine gas from
the breakdown of plant cells containing phosphorous. The gas is highly
flammable.

I agree it is unlike to be the same mechanism as hay.

Hardly the best ever sources, but perhaps there is more to the idea of
spontaneous combustion in a tumble dryer than I had thought. But very
much pointing at things like oil left on clothes. The issue of
power-cuts seems more important - for if you lose power the machine
cannot then follow a safe cool-down process.

http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/11/spon...ry-combustion/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lded-away.html

--
Rod

Tumble dryer Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 18 July 18th 13 12:57 AM
Tumble dryer - vent kit/indoor condensor vs condensor tumble dryer? Scott UK diy 0 October 20th 08 08:10 AM
Help With Tumble Dryer Nigel Heather UK diy 9 January 10th 06 01:52 PM
Tumble Dryer Marsha UK diy 15 February 17th 05 02:00 PM
tumble dryer which? Janet Tweedy UK diy 13 February 17th 04 09:34 PM