Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble dryer

After 5 years I finally made the temporary position of the tumble dryer in
the garage permanent.
When I looked underneath it I discovered that there are vents.
The vents were blocked solid with fluff.
Worth a look at?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
After 5 years I finally made the temporary position of the tumble dryer in
the garage permanent.
When I looked underneath it I discovered that there are vents.
The vents were blocked solid with fluff.
Worth a look at?

Tumble dryer fluff is a major cause of fires. Needs to be cleaned out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
After 5 years I finally made the temporary position of the tumble dryer
in the garage permanent.
When I looked underneath it I discovered that there are vents.
The vents were blocked solid with fluff.
Worth a look at?

Tumble dryer fluff is a major cause of fires. Needs to be cleaned out.

I cleaned them out.
The fluff collector thingee is cleaned after every use.
I did not even know there were vents in the bottom the machine until I
angled it against the wall to clean underneath.
How many people look under a tumble dryer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:

I cleaned them out.
The fluff collector thingee is cleaned after every use.
I did not even know there were vents in the bottom the machine until I
angled it against the wall to clean underneath.
How many people look under a tumble dryer?

So, are you saying that the dryer discharges some of the hot air
through the base, or more likely perhaps, there are grilles to
allow some ventilation of the space in which the drive motor
sits?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:

I cleaned them out.
The fluff collector thingee is cleaned after every use.
I did not even know there were vents in the bottom the machine until I
angled it against the wall to clean underneath.
How many people look under a tumble dryer?

So, are you saying that the dryer discharges some of the hot air
through the base, or more likely perhaps, there are grilles to
allow some ventilation of the space in which the drive motor
sits?

I don't think it discharges through the base, there is a plastic hose thing
for that.

I would say that the vents are there for ventilation.
To be honest I have never taken one apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder presented the following explanation :
Mr Pounder wrote:

I cleaned them out.
The fluff collector thingee is cleaned after every use.
I did not even know there were vents in the bottom the machine until I
angled it against the wall to clean underneath.
How many people look under a tumble dryer?

So, are you saying that the dryer discharges some of the hot air
through the base, or more likely perhaps, there are grilles to
allow some ventilation of the space in which the drive motor
sits?

I don't think it discharges through the base, there is a plastic hose thing
for that.

I would say that the vents are there for ventilation.
To be honest I have never taken one apart.

There are two styles...

1. Which blows moist air out via a vent to the ouside.

2. The more popular one now, which continuously circulates the same
warm air but passes it over a a condensor system, the water from which
is pumped away.

There are none I am aware of which discharge throught the base, back
into the room. Likely it will be just general dust which has collected
- no harm in cleaning it out though.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 18:07, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

I cleaned them out.
The fluff collector thingee is cleaned after every use.
I did not even know there were vents in the bottom the machine until I
angled it against the wall to clean underneath.
How many people look under a tumble dryer?

So, are you saying that the dryer discharges some of the hot air
through the base, or more likely perhaps, there are grilles to
allow some ventilation of the space in which the drive motor
sits?

Chris

Ours draws air in at the bottom from the room. An equal amount is
discharged via the exhaust hose through the wall. Our previous dryer
used a 4" plastic pipe from the front of the machine to the rear
discharge point - this regularly moved, filling the interior of the
machine with fluff.

The filters always seem to let quite a lot of fluff escape through the
exhaust. I also have a feeling that only some of the air is
fresh/exhausted and the remainder is recirculated - allowing the loose
fluff to accumulate nicely in the heater!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. uk...
Mr Pounder wrote:

[...]

1. Yes.
2. Mine is 9 years old.

It was not dust, it was thick fluff and came out in lumps.
I used the sucker thing on the Dyson to suck it out. There was handfuls of
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:

[...]

Do they need to draw air in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mr Pounder wrote:

[...]

It's cat hairs.

The cat's sneak in and leave them the-)

And why did you have to use the Dyson? Have Mrs Pounders arms dropped off?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:

[...]

No cats dare enter my garage. If they did, I have a large stock of tough
plastic bags.
The Dyson sucked the fluff out very well.
Mrs Pounder is riddled with arthritis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 19:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
2. The more popular one now, which continuously circulates the same warm
air but passes it over a a condensor system, the water from which is
pumped away.

Actually I think most of these don't continually circulate the air, they
just dry it a bit on the way out. Some more successfully than others.

If we leave the utility room door open it gets all hot and sweaty in
there, if we leave it open so it stays cool the condenser works fine.
And this is a heat-pump one

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:

[...]

Yes. Vented dryers draw in dry air from the room heat it, use it and
exhaust the warm, humid air outside the house. Condenser dryers
recirculate and dry their air, leaving the water in a waste tank to be
emptied once in a while, but they will require cooling air to be drawn
from and returned to the room.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
Yes. Vented dryers draw in dry air from the room heat it, use it and
exhaust the warm, humid air outside the house. Condenser dryers
recirculate and dry their air, leaving the water in a waste tank to be
emptied once in a while, but they will require cooling air to be drawn
from and returned to the room.

If you're buying a new one (eg redoing a kitchen, where making a hole in the
wall isn't impossible) are there any pros and cons of each type?

Stale water in a waste tank sounds like a bad plan - if it's next to the
washing machine (as many are) do they not have a means of plumbing into the
washer waste?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:55:55 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

SteveW wrote:
Yes. Vented dryers draw in dry air from the room heat it, use it and
exhaust the warm, humid air outside the house. Condenser dryers
recirculate and dry their air, leaving the water in a waste tank to be
emptied once in a while, but they will require cooling air to be drawn
from and returned to the room.

If you're buying a new one (eg redoing a kitchen, where making a hole in
the wall isn't impossible) are there any pros and cons of each type?

The open vented ones are supposed to use more energy (the condensing ones
recapture the heat). Open vents also cause cold draughts in winter if you
leave the dryer door open!

Stale water in a waste tank sounds like a bad plan - if it's next to the
washing machine (as many are) do they not have a means of plumbing into
the washer waste?

Ours (a high end Bosch) doesn't. Not an issue though. The tank is long
and thin and fits along the top LH edge of the machine; the front looks
for all the world like a washing machine soap drawer, and just slides
out. Youre meant to empty it after each drying run, at the same time you
clean the fluff filter. Takes all of 15 seconds or so. Do that and there
*is* no stale water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2013 22:55, Theo Markettos wrote:
SteveW wrote:
Yes. Vented dryers draw in dry air from the room heat it, use it and
exhaust the warm, humid air outside the house. Condenser dryers
recirculate and dry their air, leaving the water in a waste tank to be
emptied once in a while, but they will require cooling air to be drawn
from and returned to the room.

If you're buying a new one (eg redoing a kitchen, where making a hole in the
wall isn't impossible) are there any pros and cons of each type?

Stale water in a waste tank sounds like a bad plan - if it's next to the
washing machine (as many are) do they not have a means of plumbing into the
washer waste?

Theo

I prefer the simplicity of a vented one. It also means that if you need
to dry things quickly (such as school uniform items that have been
messed up) during the summer, the heat mainly goes outside the house
instead of heating the kitchen even more.

Condensers are more energy efficient and during the winter, the waste
heat warms the house. They can also be positioned anywhere, not needing
to be against an outside wall. Some do have the option to be plumbed in.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
[...]

We've had both sorts, and I prefer the condenser. One only occasionally
has to use it during the summer (and to be honest I don't find it
generates a lot of heat), but you're using it a lot in winter when the
heat is useful anyway.

I'd rather have the rather substantial saving in running costs!

Tumble dryer - vent kit/indoor condensor vs condensor tumble dryer? Scott UK diy 0 October 20th 08 08:10 AM
Help With Tumble Dryer Nigel Heather UK diy 9 January 10th 06 01:52 PM
Help with tumble dryer please Andrew Cosway UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 03:36 PM
Ink in tumble dryer casey UK diy 6 May 26th 05 12:39 PM
tumble dryer which? Janet Tweedy UK diy 13 February 17th 04 09:34 PM