Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Tumble dryer

On 16/07/2013 20:45, Mr Pounder wrote:
"SteveW" wrote in message
On 16/07/2013 18:07, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

I cleaned them out.
The fluff collector thingee is cleaned after every use.
I did not even know there were vents in the bottom the machine until I
angled it against the wall to clean underneath.
How many people look under a tumble dryer?

So, are you saying that the dryer discharges some of the hot air
through the base, or more likely perhaps, there are grilles to
allow some ventilation of the space in which the drive motor
sits?

Chris

Ours draws air in at the bottom from the room. An equal amount is
discharged via the exhaust hose through the wall. Our previous dryer used
a 4" plastic pipe from the front of the machine to the rear discharge
point - this regularly moved, filling the interior of the machine with
fluff.

The filters always seem to let quite a lot of fluff escape through the
exhaust. I also have a feeling that only some of the air is
fresh/exhausted and the remainder is recirculated - allowing the loose
fluff to accumulate nicely in the heater!

Do they need to draw air in?

Yes. Vented dryers draw in dry air from the room heat it, use it and
exhaust the warm, humid air outside the house. Condenser dryers
recirculate and dry their air, leaving the water in a waste tank to be
emptied once in a while, but they will require cooling air to be drawn
from and returned to the room.

SteveW