Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Punch down connectors

I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in
a network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at
a price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections
which would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 17:43:06 +0100, Capitol wrote:

I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in
a network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at
a price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections
which would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

The search term you may be missing is "KRONE"

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol writes:
I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in
a network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at
a price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections
which would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking for, but Cat 5 is not
normally patched with punchdowns, but with RJ45 patch cords.

Cat 3 can be done with punchdowns, but Cat 5 uses 2-4 times as
many conductors, and patching those with punchdowns is just not
going to be practical. (Could well be that the Cat 5 cable
characteristics are also difficult to maintain across punchdowned
patch leads too.)

Having said that, if you used Cat 3 Krone punchdown strips and
you are running Cat 5 at significantly less than max cable lengths
(and maybe at less than gigabit ethernet speeds, which really needs
Cat 5e anyway), then you would probably get away with it.

By the way, avoid using copper covered aluminium (CCA) or copper
covered steel (CCS) cables - you want solid copper cables for your
premises wiring.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 September 2016 17:42:49 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in
a network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at
a price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections
which would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

As Graham says, the magic word is Krone.

Do you mean like these

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ...-strips/PG1218

(which won't be cat5 rated), Krone to Screw are also available

http://uk.farnell.com/krone/6526-1-0...nal/dp/1216376

or PCB ones like these

http://uk.farnell.com/krone/6048-1-0...way/dp/1207121

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2016 17:43, Capitol wrote:
I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in a
network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at a
price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections which
would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or terminal
strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

Do you means
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/c...B-module-White

or just patch panels like toolsatan sell?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Capitol escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 10/09/2016 17:43, Capitol wrote:
I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in a
network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at a
price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections which
would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or terminal
strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

Do you means
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/c...B-module-White

or just patch panels like toolsatan sell?

Again nearly but surface mounting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

It's not cat5 cable! or application.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2016 21:32, Capitol wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

It's not cat5 cable! or application.

http://www.canford.co.uk/TUK-MODULES

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 21:32:26 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or terminal strips. Any
sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

It's not cat5 cable! or application.

Then Krone strips are really the best bet. 10 pairs per strip, use as
many strips as you need. The only problem is mounting them - they mount
best in a Krone box or simlar, but there are many sizes to choose from. I
use a 10-strip box as a telephone and auxiliary wiring centre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 21:28:44 +0100, Capitol wrote:

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ...-strips/PG1218
Nearly, I need about 50 connection points, but no screw terminals.

3 x 20 way krone blocks and suitable backmount frame to mount on the
surface of your choice.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 21:32:26 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

It's not cat5 cable! or application.

Perhaps if you told us what it *is*?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Graham.
escribió:

Perhaps if you told us what it *is*?

I think we're meant to use our mind-reading facilities.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 21:32:26 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el ,
escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or terminal strips. Any
sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

It's not cat5 cable! or application.

Then Krone strips are really the best bet. 10 pairs per strip, use as
many strips as you need. The only problem is mounting them - they mount
best in a Krone box or simlar, but there are many sizes to choose from. I
use a 10-strip box as a telephone and auxiliary wiring centre.

Krone strips are too big for the space available unfortunately.
Hence my looking for krone format compact strips. I don't really want to
use ribbon cable connectors, although they would do the job. Krone CAT
couplers can do the job, but are not ideal. When desperate, terminal
blocks are the answer I fear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 21:32:26 +0100, wrote:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el ,
escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

It's not cat5 cable! or application.

Perhaps if you told us what it *is*?

48+ wires, mixed audio, video, logic, power, junction/routeing.
Punch down is ideal, but space is a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 11:15:14 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
48+ wires, mixed audio, video, logic, power, junction/routeing.
Punch down is ideal, but space is a problem.

Box Con 251A or 301 depending

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/categ...ox-connections

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 11:15:42 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 21:32:26 +0100, wrote:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el ,
escribió:

I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

You cannot use "solder tagstrips" or "terminal strips" (by which I
assume you mean chocblock) with Cat5 cables and stay within spec.
Nowhere near, in fact.

Use the proper accessories for joining Cat5 cable.

It's not cat5 cable! or application.

Perhaps if you told us what it *is*?

48+ wires, mixed audio, video, logic, power, junction/routeing.
Punch down is ideal, but space is a problem.

I've seen multiple KVM extenders wired over 4pr UTP. All balanced
pairs. You need a second cable run if you want sound.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 03:26:39 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 11:15:14 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
48+ wires, mixed audio, video, logic, power, junction/routeing.
Punch down is ideal, but space is a problem.

Box Con 251A or 301 depending

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/categ...ox-connections

He says Krone strips are too big.

I have a 301 myself!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 11:11:09 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Krone strips are too big for the space available unfortunately.
Hence my looking for krone format compact strips.

110 block and/or strip might be useful to feed into google.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 11:10:42 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Krone strips are too big for the space available unfortunately.
Hence my looking for krone format compact strips.

Jelly crimps?

A lot can be fitted into a 4" adaptable box, but don't blame me if you get logic clicks breaking through on your audio lines.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 21:28:05 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, 11 September 2016 11:10:42 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:

Krone strips are too big for the space available unfortunately.
Hence my looking for krone format compact strips.

Jelly crimps?

A lot can be fitted into a 4" adaptable box, but don't blame me if you get logic clicks breaking through on your audio lines.

Owain

Thanks for the thoughts. I reckon the most compact solution to the
problem is to use CAT5 plugs with Keystone sockets and using the sockets
as a patch panel. The plug contact current rating is in the 2A region,
which is adequate. The logic is slow, so shouldn't be important. All the
critical wiring is twisted pairs which helps and it's thicker than CAT5.
I now need to crack the problem of sending the 8 MHz bandwidth video
over the same coax as a UHF feed for 50M, without too many
losses/reflections. Fortunately that run has no power feed requirements
and I have spare CAT5 wires already in situ for the other signals.
Audio cross coupling may be a problem as there are 2 audio paths, but I
won't know until it's installed. Planning out 250M of wiring and
physically locating/building power supplies together with video
amplifiers is an interesting exercise. I'm glad I installed trunking
some years ago. it will not do everywhere, but it helps.

In case it's still useful, the magic term is IDC.

NT