Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Punch down connectors

In article ,
Capitol writes:
I have a requirement for punchdown connectors for a patch panel in
a network wiring application. I can find connectors for cat 5 joining at
a price, but can't find a source of strips of punch down connections
which would make life easier. I don't want to use solder tagstrips or
terminal strips. Any sources/ideas anyone?

I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking for, but Cat 5 is not
normally patched with punchdowns, but with RJ45 patch cords.

Cat 3 can be done with punchdowns, but Cat 5 uses 2-4 times as
many conductors, and patching those with punchdowns is just not
going to be practical. (Could well be that the Cat 5 cable
characteristics are also difficult to maintain across punchdowned
patch leads too.)

Having said that, if you used Cat 3 Krone punchdown strips and
you are running Cat 5 at significantly less than max cable lengths
(and maybe at less than gigabit ethernet speeds, which really needs
Cat 5e anyway), then you would probably get away with it.

By the way, avoid using copper covered aluminium (CCA) or copper
covered steel (CCS) cables - you want solid copper cables for your
premises wiring.

--
Andrew Gabriel