Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default How to checkover a used plunge router?

a used Trend FT2000e router has been offered to me, all seems
there incl instructions!

Any opinions on the machine?

Also it appears to be a bargain so what checks would be advised
before buying?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

jim k Wrote in message:

a used Trend FT2000e router has been offered to me, all seems
there incl instructions!

Any opinions on the machine?

Also it appears to be a bargain so what checks would be advised
before buying?

Not Trend, Freud, doh:-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 8:45:14 AM UTC+1, jim wrote:
a used Trend FT2000e router has been offered to me, all seems
there incl instructions!

Any opinions on the machine?

Also it appears to be a bargain so what checks would be advised
before buying?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Check all collets for damage and ensure they fit
Check plunge and plunge lock mechanism
Plug in stand back and switch on. It should run smoothly. Chuck bit and check for concentricity.
Try it out on piece of scrap wood.

If its clean and has no obvious external damage youre probably good to go.
If its obviously well used and has various scratches and dings be cautious.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 11:02:00 AM UTC+1, fred wrote:
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 8:45:14 AM UTC+1, jim wrote:
a used Trend FT2000e router has been offered to me, all seems
there incl instructions!

Any opinions on the machine?

Also it appears to be a bargain so what checks would be advised
before buying?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Check all collets for damage and ensure they fit
Check plunge and plunge lock mechanism
Plug in stand back and switch on. It should run smoothly. Chuck bit and check for concentricity.
Try it out on piece of scrap wood.

If its clean and has no obvious external damage youre probably good to go.
If its obviously well used and has various scratches and dings be cautious.

Incidentally I do have this Freud machine. Plenty of power but a bit agricultural and not as smooth running as my old Elu routers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 September 2016 08:45:14 UTC+1, jim wrote:
a used Trend FT2000e router has been offered to me, all seems
there incl instructions!

Any opinions on the machine?

Also it appears to be a bargain so what checks would be advised
before buying?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The main thing with most mains power tools is to check there is no excessive sparking from the brushes.
This indicates worn brushes or more likely the armature is shagged.
The tool is usually then worthless as spares are so costly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2016 08:45, jim wrote:

a used Trend FT2000e router has been offered to me, all seems
there incl instructions!

Any opinions on the machine?

Lots of power and good for use in a table with its built in fine height
adjuster. Speed control also covers a big enough range (i.e. goes low
enough to make large cutters spin slowly enough).

The motor is a little harsh sounding though.

Also it appears to be a bargain so what checks would be advised
before buying?

Smooth plunge with no detectable wobble on its legs. Depth lock that
works and stays on. Check with a cutter in it for runout in the the
spindle (using a bearing guided cutter and resting a scrap of wood
against the bearing while its running will let you "feel" any wobble or
vibration.

--
Cheers,

John.

Plunge Router Victor H. Woodworking 16 January 2nd 13 01:38 AM
Plunge Router on a router table (novice question) John Picton Woodworking 20 April 26th 09 03:44 PM
Plunge router on a router table (novice question) Giganews[_2_] Woodworking 17 April 22nd 09 01:15 AM
Plunge or non-plunge router better under table? LRod Woodworking 31 June 28th 04 10:23 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM