Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Front door video intercoms

Has anyone experience of these wired systems . I've been looking at
installing a 2 x 90 degree camera, white led lit with 8 x 8in 4 x 3
format white/beige coloured monitor system with intercom facility and
with electronic/keyfob unlocking. I can't find a system that goes beyond
6 x 7 inch monitors 16 x 9 format. What is the limit on the number of
monitors?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 16:25:29 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Has anyone experience of these wired systems . I've been looking at
installing a 2 x 90 degree camera, white led lit with 8 x 8in 4 x 3
format white/beige coloured monitor system with intercom facility and
with electronic/keyfob unlocking. I can't find a system that goes beyond
6 x 7 inch monitors 16 x 9 format. What is the limit on the number of
monitors?

Is this for multiple flats (multiple call buttons) or within the same house? There is usually no limit on the total number of monitors, but usually only one can be active at the same time.

You may be better looking at audio-only door entry system and using a separate video splitter to feed individual monitors (or feed the CCTV video into the TV distribuition systyem)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 17:35:35 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Single house. includes workshop and garage. All monitors are
active simultaneously, but only one door camera intercom is selected.
Intercom between monitors is required.

I don't think any of the standard door entry intercoms will meet your need for large, multiple monitors. You'll probably need to have your cameras feed a video splitter then run a coax or one pair Cat5 to each separate screen.

For the intercom, Entryphone "Plan 3" will do what you need, eg
https://www.entryphone.co.uk/pdf/WDV_3_200.pdf
and as Entryphone is British made and well supported you can probably get relays to activate camera switching when someone presses the door call, if required.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote in message
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:
[...]

I have fitted Ferax and Videx systems. However I have not fitted something
that matches your spec. You have to remember that most of the systems I
fit have already been designed for the company I install them for.

Have a look at the Videx web site and email me if you need any info that
needs you to be logged in.

Sorry - it's Fermax I am registered with not Videx.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the input. The systems I am looking at are similar to:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Doo...eo+door+phones

But without the recording function, as this is provided by my CCTV
system which I would tie the door cameras into. I can find 7 inch
monitor systems with up to 6 monitors but 8 inch units are only up to 4
monitors as far as I can see. 7 inch monitors don't give the view she
wants. She wants to be able to see who is at the door from 5 rooms and
I want to see events when I'm in the garage or workshop. It makes sense
to go up to possibly 9 monitors in total, whilst suffering to install
the system! Fortunately most of the wiring ducts already exist with
enough space to add a few more wires or repurpose a cat 45 or 2. The
cctv door camera is uhf distributed but not instantaneous in action, you
have to have the TV switched on and on the correct channel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Has anyone experience of these wired systems . I've been looking
at installing a 2 x 90 degree camera, white led lit with 8 x 8in 4
x 3 format white/beige coloured monitor system with intercom facility
and with electronic/keyfob unlocking. I can't find a system that goes
beyond 6 x 7 inch monitors 16 x 9 format. What is the limit on the
number of monitors?

Further to this inquiry, I have managed to find an 8 inch system
which provides some of what I may need. However, the wiring schematics
are a bit lacking in details of the signals used. Here is the link, it's
a PDF. which has been shrunk to make life difficult.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...286987,d. d2s

The video interconnects are a bit confusing as the number of pins
shown in one drawing, don't always match the number of pins in others!
The signals are not specified as input or output and it makes life
difficult to determine a house wiring plan, I need to use at least one
unit as a T to minimise cabling, but it is not clear if I can do this.
The only monitors with decent? definition seem to be 8 inch but the
black surround is a bit offputting. May have to wall paper them! The 5
wire interconnect is a pain, as to get to the workshop. I would have to
use the CCTV wifi link, which has spare audio input/outputs for the
5th intercom audio wire and pick it off in the study(hub point for all
CAT cabling) where the audio receiver can be. Together with a
repurposed 4 wire CAT workshop link, (still got 20 CAT wires left)
Haven't quite picked all the bugs out of that bit yet! I can't get
another screened wire into the workshop 40M galvanised piping carrying
the signal cables without a major disassembling exercise, which is not
going to happen!

I now reckon I need 10 monitors, but only one camera. I may have to
put in some buffer amplifiers if I can find them. I'm not using the
recording version of these monitors.

Adam, thanks, I looked at the people you suggested, but they didn't
meet the budget and wiring requirements I have.

The 7 inch monitors are IME all 4 wire, without intercom as
also are the 9 inch, The 9 inch have crap vertical definition.

Comments appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Capitol wrote:
[...]

Well, this project has hit a standstill temporarily. When I got
into the detail, I found that the 8 inch units are using 15V power
supplies, which are about as common as hens teeth, as I needed 4x wall
warts and 3x 75W 15v wirable PSUs. The night vision door cameras are IR
LEDs and I want white LEDs. As the wireless door keys and lock are 12V
and the video splitters are 12V, it's back to the drawing board with
possibly the new 9 inch monitors(much lower standby power and better
definition) which use 12V supplies, the same as CCTV and LEDs. The new
monitors can also connect to a normal CCTV camera. The design stage is
still ongoing, with the monitor leads connecting via side mounted 4 and
8 pin mini din plugs to 14mm pattress boxes at floor level. This allows
a monitor to be repositioned, when she rearranges the furniture. I need
around 15" x 6" x1" metal boxes to house the PSUs, video splitters and
patch panels I think. I'm just waiting for bits to be delivered from
China to see how the box size works out. Steel boxes seem a bit
expensive by my standards! I looked at biscuit tins, but they're a bit
thin and I don't want to go in for sheet metal work. Oh, I now need 12
monitors! and a much cheaper supplier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 10:54:31 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Steel boxes seem a bit
expensive by my standards! I looked at biscuit tins, but they're a bit
thin

You might be able to find a cheap or local deed box on ebay etc. They're usually reasonably substantial if not too rusty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Me...-/122029251222

not cheap-cheap, but cheaper than something from the electrical wholesalers.

Owain

Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset Kate[_5_] Home Repair 8 May 19th 12 02:23 PM
Burying video/audio intercom to front gate Robert Green Home Repair 20 August 28th 09 07:45 AM
Wireless intercoms for home, that DONT use the power line? Sarah Houston Electronics 3 January 5th 09 03:27 AM
Intercoms JMcC Home Repair 2 July 27th 07 03:50 AM
Intercoms HeatMan Home Repair 7 March 22nd 05 09:35 PM