HeatMan

Default Intercoms

Are there any decent intercoms for the house out there?

We are looking at a new (to us) house that is more of a ranch than a split
level. The Wife says we may need an intercom so we can call out to each
other instead of screaming.

I know I can Google listings of intercoms, but I'd like some realistic
opinions.

Edwin Pawlowski

"HeatMan" wrote in message

We are looking at a new (to us) house that is more of a ranch than a split
level. The Wife says we may need an intercom so we can call out to each
other instead of screaming.

You can always carry cellphone and just call each other.

I have a Radio Shack that just plugs into a receptacle and needs no wiring.
Works well enough for our use to a detached garage. Should work in your
setup also.

Warren Weber

"HeatMan" wrote in message
news
Are there any decent intercoms for the house out there?

We are looking at a new (to us) house that is more of a ranch than a split
level. The Wife says we may need an intercom so we can call out to each
other instead of screaming.

I know I can Google listings of intercoms, but I'd like some realistic
opinions.

I use the FM plug ins that use the house wiring. works great. Bought from
radio shack. Don't know if still available. Google for them . Warren

HeatMan

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"HeatMan" wrote in message

We are looking at a new (to us) house that is more of a ranch than a

split
level. The Wife says we may need an intercom so we can call out to each
other instead of screaming.

You can always carry cellphone and just call each other.

I mentioned that. The Wife didn't like the idea. Besides, my cell phone
gets turned off when I hit the door..

I have a Radio Shack that just plugs into a receptacle and needs no

wiring.
Works well enough for our use to a detached garage. Should work in your
setup also.

Thanks. I'll look into it. Specifically, how many stations it has.

stretch

NuTone used to make really good ones. Probably they still do.

Stretch

Marilyn & Bob

. ..

"HeatMan" wrote in message

We are looking at a new (to us) house that is more of a ranch than a

split
level. The Wife says we may need an intercom so we can call out to
each
other instead of screaming.

You can always carry cellphone and just call each other.

I mentioned that. The Wife didn't like the idea. Besides, my cell phone
gets turned off when I hit the door..

I have a Radio Shack that just plugs into a receptacle and needs no

wiring.
Works well enough for our use to a detached garage. Should work in your
setup also.

Thanks. I'll look into it. Specifically, how many stations it has.

As many stations as you need. They are all "masters". Ones of the same
brand are compatible, so if the come in sets of two and you need eight, you
just buy four sets. But if you call from one it will send to all stations
that are on the same channel. Most have three channels, so it is possible
to zone off areas using different channels.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Backlash

Be aware that if you use the FM units that plug into the house wiring, all
units are supposed to run on one side of a single powerline transformer, so
if your outbuilding, for example, and house are on different transformers,
they may not work. I had all kinds of problems with mine, until I discovered
that the units did not work as long as they were plugged into the same
circuit with a transformer, such as a recharger for a battery drill or such.
Also be aware that your neighbor on your transformer can go buy a unit and
talk/listen in. Other than that, they worked pretty well for years.

RJ

"Warren Weber bresnan.net" hiviewNO SPAM@ wrote in message

"HeatMan" wrote in message
news
Are there any decent intercoms for the house out there?

We are looking at a new (to us) house that is more of a ranch than a
split
level. The Wife says we may need an intercom so we can call out to each
other instead of screaming.

I know I can Google listings of intercoms, but I'd like some realistic
opinions.

I use the FM plug ins that use the house wiring. works great. Bought from
radio shack. Don't know if still available. Google for them . Warren

the_tool_man

Hi HeatMan:

I installled an intercom made by Aiphone several years ago to go
between my house and workshop 150' away. It is a "professional grade"
unit and works quite well. They make units that support up to 10
stations, and have a variety of styles and options. They cost more
than the RS stuff, but are completely private, and in my opinion, look
and sound better.

NuTone is a common brand, but I have heard that they don't hold up
well.

Regards,
John.