Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal BT Ducting cap/cover required

Anyone have an idea where I could find one of those galvanised BT duct
cable entry covers/caps? I can only find the long plastic ones on line
but want to protect the 3 or 4" of telephone wire where it comes out of
the grey plastic ducting before entering the house.

If I were a burglar the first thing I'd do would be chop the BT wire to
stop alarm and internet connection before doing anything....

Cheers
Pete

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 August 2016 00:40:14 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Anyone have an idea where I could find one of those galvanised BT duct
cable entry covers/caps? I can only find the long plastic ones on line
but want to protect the 3 or 4" of telephone wire where it comes out of
the grey plastic ducting before entering the house.

http://www.millsltd.com/external-overhead/capping.html

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ...PG0493/992812/

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ...-covers/PG4336

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Anyone have an idea where I could find one of those galvanised BT duct
cable entry covers/caps? I can only find the long plastic ones on line
but want to protect the 3 or 4" of telephone wire where it comes out of
the grey plastic ducting before entering the house.

http://www.millsltd.com/external-overhead/capping.html

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ...PG0493/992812/

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ...-covers/PG4336

Owain

Thanks Owain.
I'd found the BT cable entry covers on that site but not the others.

Cheers
Pete

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Anyone have an idea where I could find one of those galvanised BT duct
cable entry covers/caps? I can only find the long plastic ones on line
but want to protect the 3 or 4" of telephone wire where it comes out
of the grey plastic ducting before entering the house.

If I were a burglar the first thing I'd do would be chop the BT wire
to stop alarm and internet connection before doing anything....

So you plan on putting metal over the 4in bit and leaving plastic over the
rest?

Any burglar intent on cutting these wires would not be put off by anything
in this scenario and would cut through the entire ducting with bolt cutters.

Not that this happens of course, except in films, and even then, only
providing you've got art / jewels etc in the region of half a million on the
premises. Your average smack rat looking for his next £20 is going to get
in, pick up the first thing he sees which will buy him a bag and he'll be
away on his toes, probably something electronic and small, they're not gonna
**** about with a fifty inch plasma, or telephone wires.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2016 19:42, Phil L wrote:

If I were a burglar the first thing I'd do would be chop the BT wire
to stop alarm and internet connection before doing anything....

So you plan on putting metal over the 4in bit and leaving plastic over the
rest?

Yes indeed.

Any burglar intent on cutting these wires would not be put off by anything
in this scenario and would cut through the entire ducting with bolt cutters.

But the ducting that comes from the ground is 54mm and very robust as
would be expected for underground ducting. Only way through would be a
saw and generally speaking that's not something the opportunist thief
would be carrying, it would need to be a huge set of bolt cutters to
have jaws that opened that far.

A small pair of wirecutters on the other hand takes up no space and
couldn't be considered as "equipped" and a precautionary quick snip
would take less than a second or 2.

Not that this happens of course, except in films, and even then, only
providing you've got art / jewels etc in the region of half a million on the
premises. Your average smack rat looking for his next £20 is going to get
in, pick up the first thing he sees which will buy him a bag and he'll be
away on his toes, probably something electronic and small, they're not gonna
**** about with a fifty inch plasma, or telephone wires.

But if there is an obviously active bell box on the wall then there's a
very strong chance it has an auto dialler via POTS and if the telephone
wire is easy to see and exposed you'd be stupid not to snip it.

The original wire didn't emerge until deep inside the garage. Sadly the
builders changed that when accidentally ripping out other mains services
with the mini digger when digging the foundations.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...
[...]

The best monitored alarm systems trigger when you do that.

The original wire didn't emerge until deep inside the garage.

Mine come up in the cavity of the external block wall and has
an outlet/junction box on the inner face of the block wall.

Sadly the builders changed that when accidentally ripping out other
mains services with the mini digger when digging the foundations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 23:21:06 +0100, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
wrote:

[...]

You'd be stupid *to* snip it if it carried Redcare.

Actually I would get an email from f8lure.com as soon as someone
snipped my line, but I couldn't be sure if it was that, or some other
reason that my broadband had gone down.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
^
I keep wondering if there's an 'e' missing?

A small pair of wirecutters [...] couldn't be considered as "equipped"

I bet it could.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-06, Andy Burns wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
^
I keep wondering if there's an 'e' missing?

A small pair of wirecutters [...] couldn't be considered as "equipped"

I bet it could.

The Police would count nail-clippers as "going equipped" if it suited
them.

Couple of carrier bags and aluminium foil. I learned that on a G4S course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Couple of carrier bags and aluminium foil

Pop them over the security hoops at shop entrances, presumably?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 12:00:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Couple of carrier bags and aluminium foil

Pop them over the security hoops at shop entrances, presumably?

No, put one bag inside the other and sandwich the foil. For a nice touch,
use the store's own bags.

Then take anything you like out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
^
I keep wondering if there's an 'e' missing?

His name appears like this on my computer:

;=c2=ac=29?=

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 August 2016 23:21:21 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
[...]

Battery powered angle grinders very popular with burglars apparently.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2016 07:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
^
I keep wondering if there's an 'e' missing?

History.....
Long long ago before the days of forums and "diy-banter", before
farcebook and twiddler when usenet was social media I floundered around
on uk.rec.bodybuilding and miscellaneous.fitness.weights there were few
few members of the former group that used 3 letter abbreviations of
their name like Zaf, Ant and a few others so I decided to go with Pet.

As for sticking the www. website name in it served 2 purposes.
If anyone wanted to e-mail me they could put an "e" after Pet and use @
the detailed domain name but this was/is perhaps a little cryptic...
2nd reason is whereas the content plagiarising scraper sites like
DIY-Banter or whatever they're called would strip off signatures they
had to keep the user name and in doing so, created an active link
back/mention even without the https:// to our site so fair compensation.

So there you have it.

Cheers Pet.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Completely useless with mine and no way of working out where it is anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry writes:
Battery powered angle grinders very popular with burglars apparently.

But how do they steal the first one? ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2016 17:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
But how do they steal the first one? ;-)

They don't. They buy it in the pub for a tenner.

Every business needs initial investment

Andy