Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Latching DC power plug?

I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect LED
tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief and
not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected some
EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something half
the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and able to
pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2016 11:35, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect LED
tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief and
not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected some
EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something half
the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and able to
pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...

Why the need for strain relief on something in a ceiling void?

Alternative approach a Wago connector.
http://global.wago.com/en/products/p...view/index.jsp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2016 11:48, alan_m wrote:
On 23/07/2016 11:35, Tim Watts wrote:

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...

Why the need for strain relief on something in a ceiling void?

Alternative approach a Wago connector.
http://global.wago.com/en/products/p...view/index.jsp

Usage instructions
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic...go/Wago412.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect LED
tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief and
not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected some
EDAC connectors for that).

XLR 3. That is the most common XLR as it is used for balanced audio, so
scale of numbers makes it the best value.
In broadcast, the XLR4 is is the standard for low volt DC - but no reason
to pay more for home use where there isn't the possibility of mixing them
up.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
XLR 3. That is the most common XLR as it is used for balanced audio, so
scale of numbers makes it the best value.
In broadcast, the XLR4 is is the standard for low volt DC - but no reason
to pay more for home use where there isn't the possibility of mixing them
up.

Mini DIN is also a standard for high-current DC power - up to 7.5A at 48V.
For example:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/222/KPPX-365228.pdf
('Kycon' is the most common manufacturer)

24V power bricks with Kycon connectors on a standard pinout are commonly
available, should it be relevant.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
XLR 3. That is the most common XLR as it is used for balanced audio,
so scale of numbers makes it the best value. In broadcast, the XLR4 is
is the standard for low volt DC - but no reason to pay more for home
use where there isn't the possibility of mixing them up.

Mini DIN is also a standard for high-current DC power - up to 7.5A at
48V. For example: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/222/KPPX-365228.pdf
('Kycon' is the most common manufacturer)

24V power bricks with Kycon connectors on a standard pinout are commonly
available, should it be relevant.

Yes - there are lots of alternatives. Comes down to cost and availability
for a small quantity.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect
LED tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief
and not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected
some EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something
half the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and
able to pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...

I've used 1/4in mono audio plugs successfully at 5A. Stereo 3.5mm
should be ok, or pc style power connectors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect
LED tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief
and not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected
some EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something
half the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and
able to pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...

I've used 1/4in mono audio plugs successfully at 5A. Stereo 3.5mm
should be ok, or pc style power connectors.

Latching?

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/16 10:28, Capitol wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect
LED tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief
and not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected
some EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something
half the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and
able to pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...

I've used 1/4in mono audio plugs successfully at 5A. Stereo 3.5mm
should be ok, or pc style power connectors.

They fail on the "latching" spec
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect
LED tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief
and not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected
some EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something
half the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and
able to pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...

I've used 1/4in mono audio plugs successfully at 5A. Stereo 3.5mm
should be ok, or pc style power connectors.

They fail on the "latching" spec

I have some latching sockets for ¼" jacks.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/16 14:18, charles wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

we used to use XLR for this in the day

Tough, up to 15A, latching, metal....

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

we used to use XLR for this in the day

Tough, up to 15A, latching, metal....

That might be a good option...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
we used to use XLR for this in the day

Tough, up to 15A, latching, metal....

That might be a good option...

Why do you need latching? Are you going to swing on them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/16 22:36, Capitol wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
we used to use XLR for this in the day

Tough, up to 15A, latching, metal....

That might be a good option...

Why do you need latching? Are you going to swing on them?

Good practise - don't want them creeping apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
we used to use XLR for this in the day

Tough, up to 15A, latching, metal....

That might be a good option...

Why do you need latching? Are you going to swing on them?

Good practise - don't want them creeping apart.

The ones charging my car don't and they are outside in the wind and
rain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/16 11:35, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like
these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect LED
tape-strip lighting:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lighti...ctors/0399571/

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief and
not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected some
EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something half
the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and able to
pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up
the above so far...

I got a few of the above and actually they turned out to be less bulky
than I thought:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...EZpMTdQZGlJME0

Little long but will pass through a 20mm hole and will do for me. The
connectors are well made, and have nice cable clamps.

So I'll go with these and can recommend them to anyone else who needs one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I got a few of the above and actually they turned out to be less bulky
than I thought:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...EZpMTdQZGlJME0

Little long but will pass through a 20mm hole and will do for me. The
connectors are well made, and have nice cable clamps.

So I'll go with these and can recommend them to anyone else who needs
one.

How much?

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?