Posted to alt.home.repair

Default L6-30 Power PLug

I am new to this who Power calculation thing, what does the "L" stand
for in the notation "L6-30"??

Does it mean "Locking" or "Leviton" or something else.

And what does the "6" means as well? I asusme the "30" is Amps.

Any insight on this would be very helpful. I know this is an easy
question, but I need help.

Thanks all!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's called a "NEMA" number, and it describes plugs, outlets, and cord
bodies, to make it easier to match things up

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am new to this who Power calculation thing, what does the "L" stand
for in the notation "L6-30"??

Does it mean "Locking" or "Leviton" or something else.

And what does the "6" means as well? I asusme the "30" is Amps.

Any insight on this would be very helpful. I know this is an easy
question, but I need help.

Thanks all!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Nov 2006 16:43:51 -0800, wrote:

I am new to this who Power calculation thing, what does the "L" stand
for in the notation "L6-30"??

Does it mean "Locking" or "Leviton" or something else.

And what does the "6" means as well? I asusme the "30" is Amps.

Any insight on this would be very helpful. I know this is an easy
question, but I need help.

Thanks all!

The information seems easy to find. I just did a search on "NEMA
receptacles".

An "L" at the beginning is used for a locking plug or receptacle.

The number before the dash indicates a row on a chart, representing
different voltages receptacles are designed for:

1- 120V no ground
2- 240V no ground
3- 277V no ground
4- 600V no ground
5- 120V
6- 240V
7- 277V
8- 480V
9- 600V
10- 120V/240V no ground
11- 240V delta no ground
12- 480V delta no ground
13- 600V delta no ground
14- 120V/240V
15- 240V delta
16- 480V delta
17- 600V delta
18- 120V wye no ground
19- 277V wye no ground
20- 347V wye no ground
21- 120V wye
22- 277V wye
23- 347V wye
24- 347V

The number after the "-" is current capacity in amps. Standard
capacities are 15, 20, 30, 50, 60.

There could be a final "P" for plug or "R" for receptacle.

A L6-30 is a locking plug or receptacle for 240V (ground but no
neutral) at 30A.

Hopefully, I got that right

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 17 Nov 2006 16:43:51 -0800, wrote:

I am new to this who Power calculation thing, what does the "L" stand
for in the notation "L6-30"??

Does it mean "Locking" or "Leviton" or something else.

And what does the "6" means as well? I asusme the "30" is Amps.

Any insight on this would be very helpful. I know this is an easy
question, but I need help.

Thanks all!

The information seems easy to find. I just did a search on "NEMA
receptacles".

An "L" at the beginning is used for a locking plug or receptacle.

The number before the dash indicates a row on a chart, representing
different voltages receptacles are designed for:

The number additionally indicates the number of poles (current carrying
conductors), and wires (total including ground).

1- 120V no ground

2-pole / 2-wire

2- 240V no ground

2-pole / 2-wire

3- 277V no ground

2-pole / 2-wire

4- 600V no ground

2-pole / 2-wire

5- 120V

2-pole / 3-wire grounding

6- 240V

2-pole / 3-wire grounding

7- 277V

2-pole / 3-wire grounding

24- 347V (yes, the number is out of sequence. it was added later.)
2-pole / 3-wire grounding

8- 480V

2-pole / 3-wire grounding

9- 600V

2-pole / 3-wire grounding

10- 120V/240V no ground

3-pole / 3-wire

11- 240V delta no ground

3-pole / 3-wire

12- 480V delta no ground

3-pole / 3-wire

13- 600V delta no ground

3-pole / 3-wire

14- 120V/240V

3-pole / 4-wire grounding

15- 240V delta

3-pole / 4-wire grounding

16- 480V delta

3-pole / 4-wire grounding

17- 600V delta

3-pole / 4-wire grounding

18- 120V wye no ground

120/208V wye
4-pole / 4-wire

19- 277V wye no ground

277/480V wye
4-pole / 4-wire

20- 347V wye no ground

347/600V wye
4-pole / 4-wire

21- 120V wye

120/208V wye
4-pole / 5 wire grounding

22- 277V wye

277/480V wye
4-pole / 5-wire grounding

23- 347V wye

347/600V wye
4-pole / 5-wire grounding

24- 347V

2-pole / 3-wire grounding (see above)

The number after the "-" is current capacity in amps. Standard
capacities are 15, 20, 30, 50, 60.

Not all connectors are made in all configurations. For instance:

Locking connectors are defined, but do not appear to be made in NEMA
configurations in the 50 and 60 amp sizes. Non-NEMA connectors
are in common use, as are Pin and Sleeve type connectors.

Straight blade connectors are not defined for voltages above 347V.

Locking connectors are not defined for L3 and L4 (277V, 600V).

Locking 15A connectors are not defined for more than 3 wires.

30A is the most universal size in locking connectors, available for
L5 thru L23.

Other special NEMA types:

ML-1 125V 15A 2-pole / 2-wire miniature

ML-2 125V 15A 2-pole / 3-wire grounding miniature

ML-3 125/250V 15A 3-pole / 3-wire miniature

FSL-1 28V DC 30A 2-pole / 3-wire grounding

FSL-2 120V 400HZ 30A 2-pole / 3-wire grounding

FSL-3 120V 3 phase delta 400HZ 30A 3-pole / 4-wire grounding

FSL-4 120/208V 3 phase wye 400HZ 30A 4-pole / 5-wire grounding

There could be a final "P" for plug or "R" for receptacle.

Don't forget "C" for connector body (cable end).

A L6-30 is a locking plug or receptacle for 240V (ground but no
neutral) at 30A.

Hopefully, I got that right

Not bad.. :-)

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com wrote:
In article ,
(Bob Vaughan) writes:

| Locking connectors are defined, but do not appear to be made in NEMA
| configurations in the 50 and 60 amp sizes. Non-NEMA connectors
| are in common use, as are Pin and Sleeve type connectors.

Do you know whether Hubbell's 50A twist-lock products (e.g., CS6365C)
are NEMA? Or their 50A marine inlet series which is similar (and
seemingly compatible, but without the center spike on the outlet)?

No, they are not.

The NEMA standard for 50 and 60 amp connectors seems to have fallen by
the wayside.. I have catalogs from 3 different manufacturers from 1988,
1994, and 2004, and the 50 and 60 amp locking connectors appear on a
chart in the Leviton 1994 catalog, but are not offered as a product.
They do not appear on the chart in either the 1988 or 1994 Bryant catalogs,
or in the 2004 Pass and Seymour catalog. In fact, I only noticed them on
the chart while I was fact checking my previous post. They do not appear
to be offered as a product by P&S, Bryant/Hubbell, or Leviton.

I think the reason for this is that the California Standard (CS) patterns
had been adopted by mutual consent within the industry, and the problem
of using the same connector for multiple voltages had already been resolved
before the NEMA standard came along.

In addition, there are several different types of locking connector that are
used at the 50 and 60 amp level, as well as the 100 amp level, including
TurnLock/HubbellLock and IEC309 pin and sleeve type connectors.