Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EUSSR trade deal in trouble.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
tim... wrote

The Chinese manufacturers are just sitting on
their hands waiting for their opportunity to
flood the UK market with low cost cars products.

If they perform adequately - GOOD

You do realise that imports have to be paid for in one way or another?

Same with your kraut car.

Thought the whole idea of 'taking back control'
was to get the country on a firmer footing.

More fool you. It was actually about Britain deciding
policy for itself instead of having some failed politician
turned unsackable bureaucrat in europe doing that.

Including trade wise.

It was never about that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

In exactly the same way as the UK wasn't the EU. It
requires the agreement of many to change things.
Something those who talk about 'sovereignty' in
the UK couldn't allow. They wanted their own way
and only their own way.

Nothing wrong with that.

You think?

Yes wanting and getting are two differnt things. It's called
barganing in most cultures but the EU wants to take that away.

The EU is democratic within its own rules.

Even sillier than you usually manage with who decides policy.

In the same way as the UK is within its.

The difference is that if who decides policy ****s up badly
enough when doing that, the voters can give them the
bums rush at the ballot box next time they get to vote.

Not possible with the EU.

There was no majority of those entitled to
vote in the referendum - yet we are leaving.

Because the majority who bothered to vote decided that.

So it is impossible to be certain it is the will of the majority.

But it is clear that most of those who didnt bother to vote
didnt care enough about that question to bother to vote.

Thatcher changed democracy within trades unions.
That required every person entitled to vote to be
sent a voting form and a pre-paid return envelope.

Odd that something like a strike ballot is *far* more important
than a referendum on something that will change history.

Even sillier than you usually manage. In spades with general elections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

We should at least get some things our way as should other countries.
I don;t understand why we need to agreement of 27 countries in order
to buy a german car. I brought a computer without having to ask
anyone let alone 27 countries for permission.

You really don't get it, do you?

You dont either.

There is never a problem *buying* anything.

Corse there is if no one bothers to make what you want or no
one is prepared to sell it for a price that you are prepared to pay.

(Except perhaps things which are defence sensitive) Any
country anywhere will be delighted to take your money.

Utterly mangled all over again.

The UK government may have other
ideas, though, to protect UK jobs etc.

**** all of that anymore.

It is *selling* things to other countries which need some form of
agreement.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

No agreement with the country of the buyer is required.

Because that country can seek to protect their own jobs too.

But usually dont anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2016 23:56, bert wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
tim... wrote:
The bert version of economics. Price goes up by 3%, so sales must go
down by only 3%.

except that prices wont go up by 3%, because the exchange rate change
has already made them go down by 10%

Making the imports we rely on that much more expensive. Pushing up costs.

Which means home products which have high added value become relatively
cheaper so imports fall ( or do not rise as quickly)

Erm, does the falling pound somehow make a factory appear by magic,
suddenly producing all the things that we simply didn't produce the
previous day when the pound was higher, and thus allowing us magically,
suddenly not to have to import all those things?

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
The bert version of economics. Price goes up by 3%, so sales must go
down by only 3%.

except that prices wont go up by 3%, because the exchange rate change
has already made them go down by 10%

Making the imports we rely on that much more expensive. Pushing up
costs.

Which means home products which have high added value become relatively
cheaper so imports fall ( or do not rise as quickly)

Erm, does the falling pound somehow make a factory appear by magic,
suddenly producing all the things that we simply didn't produce the
previous day when the pound was higher, and thus allowing us magically,
suddenly not to have to import all those things?

no, but it sure allows factories that were struggling to become more
competitive

Mind you Brexit is going to be the excuse everyone will use to downsize
an ailing UK based business.

Michael

--
But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!

Mary Wollstonecraft

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
bert wrote:
The question is just how long the UK can wait for all these new deals.

As long as it takes - and we have at least a two year head start before
we leave the EU

Thin most would like things sorted sooner rather than later.

Well many on the EU side are backing off on that right now.
I doubt many who voted out had any idea just how long it might take to get
to their 'brave new world' where the UK does well trading with the rest of
the world. While going downhill in the interim.

And just exactly how do you know what those who voted out thought on
this particular subject?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:20:56 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I doubt many who voted out had any idea just how long it might take to
get to their 'brave new world' where the UK does well trading with the
rest of the world. While going downhill in the interim.

You can thank your new best friend May for doing precisely that. She's
obviously in no hurry to leave, regardless of the cost the needlessly
prolonged uncertainty will incur.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I doubt many who voted out had any idea just how long it might
take to get to their 'brave new world' where the UK does well trading
with the rest of the world. While going downhill in the interim.

You can thank your new best friend May for doing precisely
that. She's obviously in no hurry to leave, regardless of the
cost the needlessly prolonged uncertainty will incur.

Bet she is attempting to make leaving as bad as possible,
hoping that the majority will change their mind so Britain
doesnt Leave. That isnt going to happen, but that is what
she is doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 12:17:43 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

Bet she is attempting to make leaving as bad as possible, hoping that
the majority will change their mind so Britain doesnt Leave. That isnt
going to happen, but that is what she is doing.

I strongly suspect you are correct in this assessment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2016 03:17, Rod Speed wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I doubt many who voted out had any idea just how long it might
take to get to their 'brave new world' where the UK does well trading
with the rest of the world. While going downhill in the interim.

You can thank your new best friend May for doing precisely
that. She's obviously in no hurry to leave, regardless of the
cost the needlessly prolonged uncertainty will incur.

Bet she is attempting to make leaving as bad as possible,
hoping that the majority will change their mind so Britain
doesnt Leave. That isnt going to happen, but that is what
she is doing.

They already have, at least in Wales, where an opinion poll two weeks
after (or was it one week, I forget and haven't got time to look it up
now as I'm fixing the washine machine, see other thread here..) showed
the 52.5% Leave victory had been exchanged for a 52% Remain.

Which of course shows the absurdity of using a highly marginal "opinion
poll" (a referendum, a snap-shot of public opinion) for an almost
irreversible decision....hey ho.

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
[...]

It's decided, get used to it and back to diy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/16 11:37, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
[...]

Another person who wants to get rid of democracy!

Michael

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Kilpatrick posted
On 30/07/2016 03:17, Rod Speed wrote:

Bet she is attempting to make leaving as bad as possible,
hoping that the majority will change their mind so Britain
doesnt Leave. That isnt going to happen, but that is what
she is doing.

Probably.

They already have, at least in Wales, where an opinion poll two weeks
after (or was it one week, I forget and haven't got time to look it up
now as I'm fixing the washine machine, see other thread here..) showed
the 52.5% Leave victory had been exchanged for a 52% Remain.

Opinion polls do not give the same results as real, actual referenda or
elections. We always knew this, but it was made painfully clear in the
2015 general election and reinforced by the EU referendum result.

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Kilpatrick wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Cursitor Doom wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

I doubt many who voted out had any idea just how long it might
take to get to their 'brave new world' where the UK does well trading
with the rest of the world. While going downhill in the interim.

You can thank your new best friend May for doing precisely
that. She's obviously in no hurry to leave, regardless of the
cost the needlessly prolonged uncertainty will incur.

Bet she is attempting to make leaving as bad as possible,
hoping that the majority will change their mind so Britain
doesnt Leave. That isnt going to happen, but that is what
she is doing.

They already have, at least in Wales,

We'll see...

where an opinion poll two weeks after (or was it one week, I forget and
haven't got time to look it up now as I'm fixing the washine machine, see
other thread here..) showed the 52.5% Leave victory had been exchanged for
a 52% Remain.

But given that the only thing that has happened in that time
is that the pound has sagged a bit and the result of the referendum
is now known, that poll result is very dubious indeed given how
hopeless the polls were at predicting the actual referendum result.

Which of course shows the absurdity of using a highly marginal "opinion
poll" (a referendum, a snap-shot of public opinion) for an almost
irreversible decision....hey ho.

Not it does not. And have fun suggesting a better approach anyway.