Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aussie wind

How does the .au situation compare to .uk?

From what I can see they have 73% coal, 13% gas, 7% hydro, 4% wind, 2%
solar, 1% bio.

"Turmoil in South Australia's heavily wind-reliant electricity market
has forced the state government to plead with the owner of a mothballed
gas-fired power station to turn it back on.

The emergency measures are needed to ease punishing costs for South
Australian industry as National Electricity Market (NEM) prices in the
state have frequently surged above $1000 a megawatt hour this month and
at one point on Tuesday hit the $14,000MWh maximum price."

http://www.afr.com/-20160714-gq5sac

You'll need to turn javascript off to read the article.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote

How does the .au situation compare to .uk?

No power generation by nukes, much better situation for
solar and for using pumped water for load balancing etc.

From what I can see they have 73% coal, 13%
gas, 7% hydro, 4% wind, 2% solar, 1% bio.

That raw data is always a bit misleading. For example most of
the gas isnt baseload power generation in the east of the country.

"Turmoil in South Australia's heavily wind-reliant electricity
market has forced the state government to plead with the owner
of a mothballed gas-fired power station to turn it back on.

That mangles the real story.

The emergency measures are needed to ease punishing costs for South
Australian industry as National Electricity Market (NEM) prices in the
state have frequently surged above $1000 a megawatt hour this month
and at one point on Tuesday hit the $14,000MWh maximum price."

http://www.afr.com/-20160714-gq5sac

You'll need to turn javascript off to read the article.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Andy Burns quoted

"Turmoil in South Australia's heavily wind-reliant electricity
market has forced the state government to plead with the owner
of a mothballed gas-fired power station to turn it back on."

That mangles the real story.

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me wonder, considering it's
only 4% of the total. Does your grid publish operating reserve figures
like ours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Burns wrote

"Turmoil in South Australia's heavily wind-reliant electricity
market has forced the state government to plead with the owner
of a mothballed gas-fired power station to turn it back on."

That mangles the real story.

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me
wonder, considering it's only 4% of the total.

Yeah, South Australia is part of the SE Australian
grid which includes the bulk of the coal fired power
stations and the Snowy Hydro system which is a
****ing great pumped water load balancing system.

Does your grid publish operating reserve figures like ours?

Not that I am aware of.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 18:23:48 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

the Snowy Hydro system which is a
****ing great pumped water load balancing system.

I see that includes Blowering Dam, where Ken Warby became the Fastest
Man on Water.
Some system, that.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote
Rod Speed wrote

the Snowy Hydro system which is a ****ing
great pumped water load balancing system.

I see that includes Blowering Dam, where Ken
Warby became the Fastest Man on Water.
Some system, that.

Yeah, and that is just one of the dams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 08:53:08 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me wonder, considering it's
only 4% of the total.

Isn't that 4% of entire national capacity not just South Australia?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me wonder, considering it's
only 4% of the total.

Isn't that 4% of entire national capacity not just South Australia?

Seems like it, also seems the $14,000/MWh wasn't an actual "market"
price, but is the predetermined "value of lost load" figure that gets
automatically applied when they start eating into the contingency.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
Andy Burns wrote

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me
wonder, considering it's only 4% of the total.

Isn't that 4% of entire national capacity not just South Australia?

It isn't much higher for South Australia alone in the sense
of power actually produced instead of just installed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_p...outh_Australia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 July 2016 20:23:02 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote
Andy Burns wrote

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me
wonder, considering it's only 4% of the total.

Isn't that 4% of entire national capacity not just South Australia?

It isn't much higher for South Australia alone in the sense
of power actually produced instead of just installed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_p...outh_Australia

So what are the profit and loss sheets per windmill or mill-farm?
I gather the reason behind investment in them is that you can screw a fair bit of the packaging in maintenance fees. What do they average out at?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote
Andy Burns wrote

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me
wonder, considering it's only 4% of the total.

Isn't that 4% of entire national capacity not just South Australia?

It isn't much higher for South Australia alone in the sense
of power actually produced instead of just installed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_p...outh_Australia

So what are the profit and loss sheets per windmill or mill-farm?

Pretty pathetic. Not viable without a subsidy.

I gather the reason behind investment in them is that you
can screw a fair bit of the packaging in maintenance fees.

That isnt the reason for them.

What do they average out at?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 July 2016 05:43:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote
Andy Burns wrote

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me
wonder, considering it's only 4% of the total.

Isn't that 4% of entire national capacity not just South Australia?

It isn't much higher for South Australia alone in the sense
of power actually produced instead of just installed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_p...outh_Australia

So what are the profit and loss sheets per windmill or mill-farm?

Pretty pathetic. Not viable without a subsidy.

I gather the reason behind investment in them is that you
can screw a fair bit of the packaging in maintenance fees.

That isn't the reason for them.

What is the reason for them?
Off peak power supplies?

What do they average out at?

No wild inept guesswork?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Weatherlawyer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote
Andy Burns wrote

The phrase "heavily wind reliant" did make me
wonder, considering it's only 4% of the total.

Isn't that 4% of entire national capacity not just South Australia?

It isn't much higher for South Australia alone in the sense
of power actually produced instead of just installed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_p...outh_Australia

So what are the profit and loss sheets per windmill or mill-farm?

Pretty pathetic. Not viable without a subsidy.

I gather the reason behind investment in them is that you
can screw a fair bit of the packaging in maintenance fees.

That isn't the reason for them.

What is the reason for them?

Usual green bull****.

Off peak power supplies?

Nope.

What do they average out at?

No wild inept guesswork?

Chase it up for yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 July 2016 07:00:42 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote

That isn't the reason for them.

I suspected the poster knew what the reason for them is.

What is the reason for them?

Usual green bull****.

Besides that one

Off peak power supplies?

(since their only reason for existence is that they will be used when and how the wind blows.)

Obviously nobody is going to be able to rely on them when peak needs speed needs so it has to be that one?

Nope.

What do they average out at? No wild inept guesswork?

Chase it up for yourself, I only do wild inept guesswork.

You obvious;y don't know how this small jot of the Intertubule works: You ask a question and you get an answer. You do not do it yourself and you certainly do not (whatever the incentive) under any circumstances tell the poster to chase it up for themselves; it makes it looks like you don't know.

What you do, without giving to much of the game away, is to find out how much the other poster knows. Not how much he thinks he knows -how much he knows!

OT - Wind Turbines - Ed Davey opens England’s largest onshore wind farm ...next to a mothballed gas fired power station The Other Mike[_3_] UK diy 9 February 27th 15 06:49 PM
Aussie DIY Musicman2912 UK diy 10 July 5th 12 06:57 PM
Wind not good for wind farms... Andrew Gabriel UK diy 110 December 16th 11 03:36 PM
Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220 Jon Anderson Metalworking 59 August 12th 11 08:14 PM
Aussie Planes John B Woodworking 1 January 25th 06 04:33 PM