Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rust in bathroom.

Howdy all.

Anything ferrous in our bathrooms goes rusty. Like chromed soap dishes etc.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the water softener, that is,
the slight increase in salt content.

Might I be right?

Cheers.

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/16 12:40, Paul wrote:
Howdy all.

Anything ferrous in our bathrooms goes rusty. Like chromed soap dishes etc.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the water softener, that is,
the slight increase in salt content.

Might I be right?

No. Fer more likely to be the result of permanent humidity. Ventilation
and a permanent hot towel rail help

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/07/16 12:40, Paul wrote:
Howdy all.

Anything ferrous in our bathrooms goes rusty. Like chromed soap dishes
etc.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the water softener, that
is,
the slight increase in salt content.

Might I be right?

No. Fer more likely to be the result of permanent humidity. Ventilation
and a permanent hot towel rail help

+1 for the ventilation.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 12:49:59 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/07/16 12:40, Paul wrote:
Howdy all.

Anything ferrous in our bathrooms goes rusty. Like chromed soap dishes etc.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the water softener, that is,
the slight increase in salt content.

Might I be right?

No. Fer more likely to be the result of permanent humidity. Ventilation
and a permanent hot towel rail help

Softened water is worse for corrosion. Dampness also worsens the situation a good bit. The latter is usually straighforward to fix with ventilation, dehumidifier or finding & fixing a leak.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 12:40:46 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
Howdy all.

Anything ferrous in our bathrooms goes rusty. Like chromed soap dishes etc.

I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the water softener, that is,
the slight increase in salt content.

Might I be right?

Cheers.

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es

I think you've identified the problem, when you say ferrous. There are always defects (not always visible) in the chrome plating. Moisture is sucked in by capillary action and then the steel rusts away inside the chrome. The process will be quicker in a wetter bathroom, but nothing will stop it completely.

The only solution is to pay a bit more for brass rather than steel items. They still have the problem of defects in the chrome plating, but the brass underneath doesn't rust.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 July 2016 09:05:51 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Car chrome restorers rub off rust spots and wax coat the pits. Works well where the chrome isn't rubbed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you use very strong bleach and does whoever cleans the bathroom actually
wash it all off?
Brian

--
----- -