Posted to alt.home.repair
Les Les is offline

Default Rust line in Bathroom Camode - how to remove?

We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

--
Have a great day, except you spammers
To email, remove the obvious

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

--
Have a great day, except you spammers
To email, remove the obvious

The local home center store or hardware store will have liquid rust
remover that works like magic. It's in either the plumbing or cleaning
product sections. You just squirt in on, and the rust disappears in
seconds, usually no rubbing required,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:14:07 -0400, "Les"
wrote:

We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

Toothpaste, comet, iron-out. Are you on a sewer or a septic system?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whink works like a charm. Look in the laundry detergent section, in a
small copper (rust) colored bottle. You may have to devise a way to
let it soak for a couple minutes, e.g., moisten a cloth with enough
Whink to allow it to stick to the stain.

I have also heard of people using pumice stone. I've never tried it.
You can find small pumice stones in the nail care section of the store
(people use them to remove calluses, too) if you want to experiment
with it. http://store.markoinc.com/pumicestone.html

Jo Ann

Les wrote:
We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

--
Have a great day, except you spammers
To email, remove the obvious

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

Hi,
CLR?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

Zud or Barkeeper's Friend, both available at your local grocer. Acidic

cleansers; bases like bleach won't reduce rust to iron.

Next question is, do you have iron water pipes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les,

Do you want to use what the Pros use? It's call a Pumice Stick. Lowe's
did sell it and you'll find it at a specialty cleaning supply warehouse.
You wet the end and run it around the rust line and it's gone. I never
thought such an item existed much less would work but it does. Price,
about $2.

Les wrote:
We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:05:50 -0400, Joey wrote:

Les,

Do you want to use what the Pros use? It's call a Pumice Stick. Lowe's
did sell it and you'll find it at a specialty cleaning supply warehouse.
You wet the end and run it around the rust line and it's gone. I never
thought such an item existed much less would work but it does. Price,
about $2.

I had an impossible toilet ring. I bought a Pumice Stick. The one I
bought, I found in the cosmetic section. It was about the same
thickness as a bar of soap but about half as big. It is also used for
lady's nails. Anyway....I tried it on the ring. It looked like it
was not going to be very easy. I had read a tip somewhere on Usenet
to use plain white vinegar.

Take plain vinegar and pour about 8 oz in the water. Take paper
towels and line the ring so the towels soak up the vinegar and leave
for an hour or longer.

Then use the pumice stick. It worked with much less elbow grease.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

heh, I like the replies. all i've seen will work, but the rust will
come back.

to permanently remove the rust stain, get a water softener. just bought
my house, never lived with a water softener before. amazed at what it
does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Father Haskell" wrote in
oups.com:

Les wrote:
We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using
cleaner and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any
suggestions what to use to remove this unsightly stain?

Zud or Barkeeper's Friend, both available at your local grocer.
Acidic

cleansers; bases like bleach won't reduce rust to iron.

Next question is, do you have iron water pipes?

Zud I knew about. Checked a few places here for it and NG. Wally World
had Barkeeper's Friend. Never heard of it but I gave it a try. Works
good.

Got it for something else but tried it on a cheapo plastic outdoor table.
Had a steel coffee can sitting on it for a long time through rains. Left
a heavy rust ring. Couple of applications and it totally removed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:

We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner

I hope you didn't use anything abrasive

and also bleach,

Bleach does NOT remove rust stains

but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

"The Works" bowl cleaner. 20% Hydrochloric acid. Walmart, $1.50 for
32oz.

Let the bowl dry, then squirt it directly on the stain and go away for
half an hour. Come back, scrub and flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have a vertical rust line in the bathroom commode. Tried using cleaner
and also bleach, but these did not remove the stains. Any suggestions what
to use to remove this unsightly stain?

Toothpaste, comet,

Do NOT use abrasive cleaners in your bowl.

You will regret it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joey wrote:

Les,

Do you want to use what the Pros use? It's call a Pumice Stick. Lowe's
did sell it and you'll find it at a specialty cleaning supply warehouse.
You wet the end and run it around the rust line and it's gone.

Pumice is an abrasive. Do not use abrasives in the bowl. You will
regret it. It will make bowl more susceptible to staining in the
future, and harder to clean next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Oct 2006 21:09:34 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Joey wrote:

Les,

Do you want to use what the Pros use? It's call a Pumice Stick. Lowe's
did sell it and you'll find it at a specialty cleaning supply warehouse.
You wet the end and run it around the rust line and it's gone.

Pumice is an abrasive. Do not use abrasives in the bowl. You will
regret it. It will make bowl more susceptible to staining in the
future, and harder to clean next time.

Only way to keep your toilet from staining with iron is to remove
the source of the iron. If you do that, it won't matter how
"susceptable" the bowl is, and if you don't you might as well
get used to either looking at rust, or scrubbing.

If it's organic iron, and below the waterline, a scrubbing
with a nylon brush, and then a letting a good dose of bleach
(*OR* iron-out, but not both), sit overnight should work.

Is the toilet cistern also rust-stained? If so,
fix the water-supply. If not, what's rusting between
the two places to produce the stain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:

If it's organic iron,

What is "organic" iron?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Oct 2006 10:56:54 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Goedjn wrote:

If it's organic iron,

What is "organic" iron?

Iron eating bacteria.
As opposed to suspended iron oxide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Joey wrote:

[...]

Has the water pressure from that line (or others) been steadily
diminishing over time? Are those lines iron? Rust stained porcelain
is a giveaway that the pipes are rotting out, and should be replaced
with CPVC or (better yet, if you can get a torch to them) copper
as soon as possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
On 12 Oct 2006 10:56:54 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Goedjn wrote:

If it's organic iron,

What is "organic" iron?