Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry

Default Screw rust stains: remove w/o destroying underlying paint? (Motorhome paneling)

I've a motorhome w/ painted metal side panels. The hex-head screws that
secure the panels are beginning to 'drip' rust down the panels. Said
rust isn't TOO bad at this point. Is there any way to remove the rust
stains without destroying the underlying [white] paint? (I'm going to
replace the rusting screws and either either seal them with clear
sealant of some kind, or cover the screws with 'caps.')

THANK you for any advice!

Christopher

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

change screws to stainless steel. check them in a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

what about some of that rust remover for sinks...CLR or something like
that...or naval jelly..dont know if either would affect the paint..try
down low in an inconspicuous space

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Harry wrote:
I've a motorhome w/ painted metal side panels. The hex-head screws
that secure the panels are beginning to 'drip' rust down the panels.
Said rust isn't TOO bad at this point. Is there any way to remove the
rust stains without destroying the underlying [white] paint?

Any of the spray on rust removers (CLR, etc.)

(I'm
going to replace the rusting screws and either either seal them with
clear sealant of some kind, or cover the screws with 'caps.')

Neither will keep steel screws from rusting any better than paint. Use
stainless.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also think you should replace the screws with stainless steel.