Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Saving animations

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:09:41 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 09:57:53 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 00:45:26 +0100, RayL12
wrote:
snip

A slightly faster method of collating the pictures is to either find
page info from menu or, R click picture and select 'view image info'.
You will see a split screen and the top(for me with FF) will show a list
of all elements on the page.

Click the header to align the file names alphabetically. shift select
them all and choose save as.

I've just tried that (on XP) and it works (if it only goes as far as
saving the gifs) but I can't see how that is anywhere near as fast as
*just* clicking on 'Save page' (one or two clicks)?

Unless I've missed something and your way is supposed to also create
the animated gif? ;-(

I was just wondering why there is such a rigmarole involved in capturing video.

If you are talking about your specific scenario it isn't a video is
it? It's presented on the website as a fast slideshow and that's what
you have to replicate if you want to store the thing locally.

Or, you can take the individual pictures and 'join' them into a single
file to make them look like a video (an 'animated gif' in this case).

snip

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:56:59 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo ,
Weatherlawyer escribió:

So which option of graphics should I have clicked open to download animations?

You've already had several useful and interesting answers. My earlier
question wasn't a pop at you, by the way, just pointing out that an OS
is a platform to run tools on, and that OS willy-waving (again, not by
you) is pointless.

snip

If only that were the truth (from you).

Only a real nutjob would make such statements whilst adding Windows
bashing footers on nearly every post.

Recognise this for example?:

"Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging."

So, I have OSX, Windows (most versions), Android and many Linux spins
and happen to find Windows the most flexible and friendly for my needs
and Linux the least. For some reason that *fact* sticks in your craw
because *you* are a Linux advocate (but I'm not a Windows advocate).

Practice what you preach OM.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

So which option of graphics should I have clicked open to download animations?
I can't find the one for Flash.

You could use a screen recorder which can save to .mp4, .swf or .avi
such as http://camstudio.org

But you'll probably get jerkier playback than saving the individual
frames and converting them to animated gif.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does anyone on this newsgroup realise that you don't have toquote reams of posts?

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 10:07:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 18:02:27 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer

Why not just save the actual page locally (that would then give you
the gifs)?

placed them on a blog page

On the web? Why not locally?

I never considered it, besides having it online was the intention of the process: Showing people the striations and explaining them as best I could.

and recombined them with the Gimp:

Excellent. I didn't have any idea what it was, what chance it would
have had of working or how to do it. My first Google to a free Windows
App had it working (plus a load of other things) easily and quickly
and I didn't have to spend any time learning anything (especially any
CLI gobbledygook).

I was expecting some learned gentlemen from uk.d-i-y to tell me which application would do all that for me with a right and left click. What I got was information that at least two ardent posters with not a lot to say, were familiar with Linux and extremely funny about it.

And another one was still using crippleware that was never well written and was supplied already defunct over ten years ago but at least he spoke English and used logic. Something tiresomely mutually exclusive on here betimes..

Open as layers Export (as .gif) choose settings and Save Delete file (the file you created is open to allow additional charts or adjustments but not needed as the one you saved as a .gif went to the folder of the day)

Get yourself a decent OS (Mageia KDE and set the clipboard to 50 or so.)

GIMP can work on Windows so I have heard. The problem is I don't know how to set the defaults. It sets the animation at 100 milliseconds I prefer 2000 or 1500 to demonstrate weather charts, not too long and boring and not so short as to be meaningless. But it varies with the type of chart, it's importance and how much detail is on it.

So long as you keep it open which is OK for a day's charts, it can hold the settings. Damned annoying to forget and close it though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/16 15:41, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I was expecting some learned gentlemen from uk.d-i-y to tell me which application would do all that for me with a right and left click. What I got was information that at least two ardent posters with not a lot to say, were familiar with Linux and extremely funny about it.

I told you.
Openshot

But you are too much of a stupid bigoted **** to listen to anything I say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 10:30:21 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo ,
Weatherlawyer escribió:

I was just wondering why there is such a rigmarole involved in capturing video.

One word: copyright. The copyright owners of online video are tying to
prevent it being purloined.

It explains the vast plethora of "Youtube downloaders", screen/video
capture, website leecher etc. utilities that are available.

I live in a free country, and whilst I appreciate that Linus Torvalds doesn't get on with graphics card designers for the reasons you suppose. Although I do have a computer quite capable of Snowdening the Clinton files, I also have a motor car that can be used to kill pedestrians, three sharp long knives I only use on meat and veg. I also have a variety of fire-lighters I could use to commit arson.

And I have a fast cable connection that I wouldn't even know how to obtain pirated films and music with.

Or should I be investigating old apple macs?

Not my choice of self abuse I admit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 07:41:29 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 10:07:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 18:02:27 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer

Why not just save the actual page locally (that would then give you
the gifs)?

placed them on a blog page

On the web? Why not locally?

I never considered it, besides having it online was the intention of the process: Showing people the striations and explaining them as best I could.

Ok. As good as answer as any. ;-)

and recombined them with the Gimp:

Excellent. I didn't have any idea what it was, what chance it would
have had of working or how to do it. My first Google to a free Windows
App had it working (plus a load of other things) easily and quickly
and I didn't have to spend any time learning anything (especially any
CLI gobbledygook).

I was expecting some learned gentlemen from uk.d-i-y to tell me which application would do all that for me with a right and left click.

Like I did for Windows you mean?

What I got was information that at least two ardent posters with not a lot to say, were familiar with Linux and extremely funny about it.

That is par for the course I'm afraid, it comes with the 'Linux
fanatic' territory. ;-(

And another one was still using crippleware that was never well written and was supplied already defunct over ten years ago but at least he spoke English and used logic. Something tiresomely mutually exclusive on here betimes.

;-)

Open as layers Export (as .gif) choose settings and Save Delete file (the file you created is open to allow additional charts or adjustments but not needed as the one you saved as a .gif went to the folder of the day)

Get yourself a decent OS (Mageia KDE and set the clipboard to 50 or so.)

I have tried Mageia (don't particularly like KDE, too much like
'Windows' for me g) and a million other distros and respins ... and
have settled for now with Mint MATE. When I say settled I mean it's
generally 'the best of the rest' and the most like a 'useable OS'
(OOTB) for me. If it (GNU / Linux) doesn't work OOTB on whatever
hardware I have, I don't bother fighting it any more.

GIMP can work on Windows so I have heard.

It can indeed.

The problem is I don't know how to set the defaults.

Nor me, way too complicated.

It sets the animation at 100 milliseconds I prefer 2000 or 1500 to demonstrate weather charts, not too long and boring and not so short as to be meaningless.

Makes sense.

But it varies with the type of chart, it's importance and how much detail is on it.

Ok.

So long as you keep it open which is OK for a day's charts, it can hold the settings. Damned annoying to forget and close it though.

I bet.

So, as you are into 'The Weather', any idea when our summer is going
to start or aren't we going to get one 'because of the EU /
immigrants'? weg

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 15:55:43 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

[...]

It has it's good points someone on uk.sci.weather pointed out a local phenomenon called a dangler and it turns out we have one where I live: An overcast sky with the edge of the cloud clearly visible above every horizon.

It occurs with Derchos every 4 years or so and various inversion spells in between. I am pretty sure it is due to heat island effect which would make them a given for every ancient city (because they all have ports, long untold explanation.)

And because derechos always produce VEI 2 or greater eruptions I learned how to forecast them and what an eruption looks like on the North Atlantic chart.
Couple that with knowing which two days are going to be gloriously sunny in every two weekly spell of this kind, I am perfectly happy with the summer, thank you very much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

A slightly faster method of collating the pictures is to either find
page info from menu or, R click picture and select 'view image info'.
You will see a split screen and the top(for me with FF) will show a list
of all elements on the page.

Click the header to align the file names alphabetically. shift select
them all and choose save as.

I've just tried that (on XP) and it works (if it only goes as far as
saving the gifs) but I can't see how that is anywhere near as fast as
*just* clicking on 'Save page' (one or two clicks)?

Unless I've missed something and your way is supposed to also create
the animated gif? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

A true gif will, sometimes, simply 'drag & drop' from the page and
remain functional. It appears as a single file and is the reason it will
simply respond to 'save as'.

However, as others have pointed out, in this case, it is a series of
pictures. R clicking on the screen will only apply to the picture that
is currently displaying.

I could suggest for a one or two click option, you can get Tim to do
them all for you in future. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

A slightly faster method of collating the pictures is to either find
page info from menu or, R click picture and select 'view image info'.
You will see a split screen and the top(for me with FF) will show a list
of all elements on the page.

Click the header to align the file names alphabetically. shift select
them all and choose save as.

I've just tried that (on XP) and it works (if it only goes as far as
saving the gifs) but I can't see how that is anywhere near as fast as
*just* clicking on 'Save page' (one or two clicks)?

Unless I've missed something and your way is supposed to also create
the animated gif? ;-(

A true gif will, sometimes, simply 'drag & drop' from the page and
remain functional. It appears as a single file and is the reason it will
simply respond to 'save as'.

Sure, however, I was just checking that I hadn't missed something
Weatherlawyer was saying re actually creating the animated gif out of
the individual gifs (it seems I hadn't).

However, as others have pointed out, in this case, it is a series of
pictures.

Including me. ;-)

R clicking on the screen will only apply to the picture that
is currently displaying.

Indeed.

I could suggest for a one or two click option, you can get Tim to do
them all for you in future. :-)

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m