Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Shocks

A while ago I accidentally stuffed my fingers into an uncovered wall
socket and got a 240VAC shock (actual full 240 in this instance -
according to my Megger). But it wasn't a shock. It was a slowly building
tingle I wasn't even aware of to begin with, which slowly wormed its way
through my peripheral perceptions to eventually become fairly unpleasant.
Having nothing better to do this week I rigged up a Cockroft-Walton
multiplier and discovered the same thing with DC. At 150VDC, initially I
can feel *nothing* at all, but then a slow burning sensation develops
such that after about 5 seconds I have to take my pinkie away. The effect
is exactly like touching a low-power soldering iron; it's no big deal at
first but then gets increasingly intolerably hot. That's exactly how it
feels.
I've been goofing around with electrics (with a heavy electronics bias)
for nearly 50 years but I can't work out what's going on here. BTW, can't
feel anything at all at under 90V.
Any insights from our resident sparks as to what's going on here? I mean,
why the *slow* build-up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/16 20:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

Something about you I think.

I have had a couple of belters from 240V through one hand and my
perception is:

1) It's like being punched in the arm and hand slapped, hard, instantly.

2) It hurts afterwards.

No slow build up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
[...]

Everyone has a different sensitivity and tolerance to electric shocks. I can
feel a slight tingle at about 50 V with dry hands. A 240 V shock definitely
comes into the category of "never to be repeated if I can help it". I knew a
woman at university who was unbelievably sensitive to electric shocks: she
could distinguish a fully-charged from a flat 1.5 V battery by putting her
finger and thumb across the ends, and found a brief shock from a 9 V PP9
battery or a 12 V car battery to be exceptionally painful to the extent that
her muscles twitched for several hours afterwards. (*)

But whatever the sensitivity, I've never heard of DC or AC at level that can
be felt producing a *gradually-increasing* sensation of tingling.

(*) She had a number of medical peculiarities, some diagnosed in later life.
She had hypermobile joints (double-jointed) and she developed a rare
syndrome whereby her body continued to feel the effects of pain for a long
time after the stimulus was removed, to the extent that a surgeon who needed
to perform an important operation on her decided it was not in her best
interests for him to continue, as he could not guarantee that she would not
feel the pain of the incisions for many days after the general anaesthetic
had worn off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 19:56:21 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

Bilge!

Accidentally waiting for the tingle to build up?

Multiplier to develop 150V DC?

Has Alt.looney.rec [overy] closed down?

AB

[...]

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/16 21:32, NY wrote:

But whatever the sensitivity, I've never heard of DC or AC at level that
can be felt producing a *gradually-increasing* sensation of tingling.

Only if its a gradually incressing voltage

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 21:26:44 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

I've had 240V between two parts of one hand, and it felt warm and tingly. I let go because I knew it was an electric shock, not because it was painful, as it wasn't.

I've had 240V from a hand to my bare feet on the ground. That made my arm and leg muscles jump suddenly. Again, not sore, just gave me a fright.

And there was definitely nothing afterwards in either instance.

--
I got the strangest recording when I called the phone company the other day.
It said, "You have been connected to the correct department on the first try. This is against company policy. Please hang up and redial."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 21:32:48 +0100, NY wrote:

[...]

Being able to detect 1.5V is quite amazing. That's not just a medical problem, that's an ability that nobody else has. I can't even feel a 12V car battery with wet hands. 30 volts is required before I notice it. Or about 9V on my tongue (all kids do that with PP3s don't they?)

But whatever the sensitivity, I've never heard of DC or AC at level that can
be felt producing a *gradually-increasing* sensation of tingling.

Sounds like nerve damage.

(*) She had a number of medical peculiarities, some diagnosed in later life.
She had hypermobile joints (double-jointed) and she developed a rare
syndrome whereby her body continued to feel the effects of pain for a long
time after the stimulus was removed, to the extent that a surgeon who needed
to perform an important operation on her decided it was not in her best
interests for him to continue, as he could not guarantee that she would not
feel the pain of the incisions for many days after the general anaesthetic
had worn off.

--
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
3 shocks, blimey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Y'know what they say, where there's no sense there's no feeling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, I had a large chunk of Earth in one hand (photocell) and was crouching
down. Became a bit unbalanced and grabbed the nearest thing, L 240 as it
turned out. Muscles locked up and couldn't release the hardware, started to
blackout as I fell over. The fall ripped the feed out of my hands. Wouldn't
wanna be in that position again. I've been pretty careful in the 50 odd
years since.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo . com,
bm escribió:

3 shocks, blimey.

Fried his brain, explains the tripe he posts to usenet.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom a écrit :
I've been goofing around with electrics (with a heavy electronics bias)
for nearly 50 years but I can't work out what's going on here. BTW, can't
feel anything at all at under 90V.
Any insights from our resident sparks as to what's going on here? I mean,
why the *slow* build-up?

How much effect you feel, is due to the thickness of your skin, how
moist it is and the current path. As a kid, to satisfy my curiosity, I
would stick my fingers into a live BC lamp socket, I would feel barely
a tingle.

I also can feel a slight burning effect, over a short path. I would
assume this effect is due to the moisture in your skin 'boiling', or
maybe electrolysis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo . com,
bm escribió:

3 shocks, blimey.

Fried his brain, explains the tripe he posts to usenet.

He has a degree, you know, and learns a lot of his crap from Wodney, his
mentor.
LMFAO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2016 23:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How much effect you feel, is due to the thickness of your skin, how
moist it is and the current path. As a kid, to satisfy my curiosity, I
would stick my fingers into a live BC lamp socket, I would feel barely a
tingle.

I stuck my finger in a bayonet fitting of a bedside lamp as a kid too.
It wasn't nice and I didn't do it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 23:07:32 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

How much effect you feel, is due to the thickness of your skin, how
moist it is and the current path. As a kid, to satisfy my curiosity, I
would stick my fingers into a live BC lamp socket, I would feel barely a
tingle.

That's pretty amazing for a child. It's understandable as one ages and
the skin gets dryer and hornier through work that its resistance would
increase, but for a youngster...

I also can feel a slight burning effect, over a short path. I would
assume this effect is due to the moisture in your skin 'boiling', or
maybe electrolysis.

That's what I was wondering, because on the DC multiplier setup, I was
monitoring the voltage across my fingers at the final node at the *same*
time, and as the burning sensation was increasing, the voltage was
actually *falling* (due to the impedance of the C-W ladder I'd imagine)
since they're not capable of sourcing much current with the more stages
you add (although this was only 3 double-diode stages away from a 100VA
24-0-24 transformer.)

Thing is, though: it's only skin resistance. If you prick your skin on
one of these nodes which is all too easily done and all that skin
resistance is lost, so the risk of instant death due to fatal current
levels (particularly across the chest if you're absent-minded) is vastly
increased. I would *never* advise anyone to "try this at home" as they
say.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2016 20:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

Some time ago, I was told about someone who could hold onto two wire of
a three phase 400v supply.

I was also told separately that it was possible to survive an 11KV
shock, but that that the burns from a 33kv and above would be fatal.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 21:26:44 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

I got a shock from one of these once. Not pleasant at all.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US...uct.Rank&asc=1

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 19:56:21 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

[...]

The short answer: You're incredibly thick skinned. :-)

The long answer: You have incredibly (dry) thick skinned fingers? :-)

The skin on your fingers must be unusually thicker than most and very
likely drier. There is some conduction but since most of the volt drop
must be across the high resistance skin barrier, what little current is
flowing must be building up heat which must be causing higher evaporation
from the sub-dermal layer which I surmise raises the water content in the
relatively thick and drier outer epidermal layer increasing its
conductivity to accelerate the heat build up which you seem to be sensing
rather than the expected effect on the nerves due to electrical
excitation normally described as a tingling or electric shock.

With DC voltage, there is also the compounding effect of electrolysis
(largely absent with AC voltage) producing conductive chemical products
in the skin, the production of which is accelerated by the resulting
increase of conductivity in a runaway positive feedback effect.

Most cheap TENS units (and some not-so-cheap) use unipolar pulses which
add some risk of electrolytic damage to the area in contact with the
conductive pads. The properly specified "Medical Grade" units use a
double pulse where the second pulse is of equal and opposite amplitude
and follows the first by just a few microseconds (typical pulse width
settings range from 30 to 300 microseconds with unipolar devices, a bi-
polar pulse device would use the equivalent of a pair of 15 to 150
microsecond pulses).

Interposing a suitable 1:1 isolating transformer between a cheap
unipolar TENS unit and your skin can mitigate electrolytic erosion to a
degree but the optimal solution is to use a proper "Medical Grade" unit
that specifically claims the use of paired bi-polar pulses. Never succumb
to the temptation to read into advertising blurb, information that was at
best, merely implied.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having seen the other replies, I have a feeling you'll like mine the
best. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 21:26:44 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

That's prolly similar to a car spark-plug jolt. 15KV at not a lot of amps.
It'll make you jump tho
I fooled around with car ignition 45 years back, I wound a one-off ignition
coil, you could pass a sheet of A4 through the spark gap as fast as you like
and it would catch fire. I had to quit, I was going home with headaches from
the ozone
So I simmered things a touch and concentrated on silent vibrators
*ahem*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get tested for Diabetes.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
[...]

I think unipolar pulses seemed to produce a heating effect on one electrode.
Its been so long back I don't remember the details.
Electrolytic damage? My god, we were running on gas back then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2016 9:32 PM, NY wrote:
[...]

I had a friend in the early 70's who was serious when he said, his
girlfriend, who would enjoy the sex they had, would orgasm any time up
to 3 hours later, but never during sex?

As for the slow electric shock build up, you think it may be skin
moisture build-up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RayL12" wrote in message
On 02/07/2016 9:32 PM, NY wrote:
[...]

3 hours later? That would be the guy next door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2016 2:56 AM, bm wrote:
"RayL12" wrote in message
On 02/07/2016 9:32 PM, NY wrote:
[...]

LOL I said similar. No, they would be in bed together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 July 2016 20:56:23 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

The 240V AC is only the rms ("average") voltage, the peak voltage is much higher.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2016 01:51, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Get tested for Diabetes.
Brian

Get tested for thyroid issues.

At least two out of two hypothyroid people in this house used to receive
far more, and more unpleasant, static belts when under-medicated.

Never have found a decent explanation.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

This sounds like a physiological effect, rather than anything to do with
the source of the shock itself. Much of ones protection from shock is as
a result of skin resistance, if you are having a response that in effect
altering that, it may explain what is happening.

My guess would be that its changes taking place in the body in response
to the initial shock which in turn makes the level of current passed
increase. Needless to say this will tend to have a cascade effect.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2016 20:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
A while ago I accidentally stuffed my fingers into an uncovered wall
socket and got a 240VAC shock (actual full 240 in this instance -
according to my Megger). But it wasn't a shock. It was a slowly building
tingle I wasn't even aware of to begin with, which slowly wormed its way
through my peripheral perceptions to eventually become fairly unpleasant.

Could it be that you have very dry skin? Most of our innards (to use a
technical term) are rather wet more or less salt-solution so conduct
electricity very well, so most of the insulation that we get is from our
skin. Hence it is dangerous to work on live parts with wet hands.

My father, an electrician for some years, had even dryers skin than I
have so he needs to use hand cream rather often, and usually only got
mild shocks from touching 240v mains when his hands were dry.

I once used an AVO meter to measure the resistance of me and a few
friends with one hand gripping each eletrode, and found resistances that
varied over a couple of orders of magnitude. Clammy-handed people have
to be very careful with live mains, obviously.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2016 10:00, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

Interesting that you say it like that. Referring back to my thyroid
issues response a few minutes ago, one of the hallmark symptoms is dry
skin. Certainly I was often unable to survive without hand-cream
immediately available. Now reasonably well treated, all the dry skin has
gone.

Perhaps the poorer conduction of dry skin is what makes static
discharges unpleasant - that is, if nice and wet, whatever you touch can
discharge readily, whereas when very dry, the charge builds up and then
sharply discharges?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2016 21:26, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

It depends on where the current flows, there are no muscles in the hand
to contract just nerves, the hand control muscles are in the forearm so
if the current goes up the arm you will get sudden contractions and pain
from that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"RayL12" wrote in message
(*) She had a number of medical peculiarities, some diagnosed in later
life. She had hypermobile joints (double-jointed) and she developed a
rare syndrome whereby her body continued to feel the effects of pain for
a long time after the stimulus was removed, to the extent that a surgeon
who needed to perform an important operation on her decided it was not
in her best interests for him to continue, as he could not guarantee
that she would not feel the pain of the incisions for many days after
the general anaesthetic had worn off.

I had a friend in the early 70's who was serious when he said, his
girlfriend, who would enjoy the sex they had, would orgasm any time up to
3 hours later, but never during sex?

Interesting that the woman I knew said that she suffered from this too,
although I think in her case it was spontaneous rather than delayed reaction
to earlier sex. I remember her telling me how she had to keep a straight
face and act normally when she and her husband were being shown round a new
house by an estate agent and all of a sudden, with no warning, she
experienced "my own personal ecstasy" :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

What manner of wall socket is it even possible to stick your fingers in?
What do you mean by "uncovered"?

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

I wonder if he means a socket that's been unscrewed from the wall so the
screw terminals on the back are exposed. Even then, the screws and the ring
of metal into which the wire is inserted are usually recessed by a couple of
millimetres so a casual brushing past of the fingers doesn't usually make
contact with them.

My worst shock was about 400 VAC from two terminals on a transformer inside
a tape recorder: presumably the valves needed an HT that was greater than
could be derived by rectifying 240 V mains, so a step-up transformer was
included. That one really hurt: my arm tingled for a couple of days and I
had a nasty bruise on my hand where I forced it away from the terminals and
hit part of the chassis of the tape recorder. Never again.

Given that I had a heart attack and cardiac arrest a few years ago (nothing
to do with electric shocks!) I'm always cautious about mains and try to work
one-handed where I can, because a hand-to-hand across-the-chest shock
nowadays probably wouldn't do me a lot of good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 10:54:30 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"RayL12" wrote in message
[...]

That was her reaction to the thought of a better house.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/16 01:24, Davey wrote:

I got a shock from one of these once. Not pleasant at all.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US...uct.Rank&asc=1

My first serious shock was from a meccaono 12V electric motor running
off my model train transformer

I had to wait a long time before I understood enough physics top know
why I got a few hundred volts shock off a 12V supply

WE always used to get a tingle off the old greenhouse heater we had (no
central hearing) (and no proper earth on it either).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well you can get dehydrated and this increases skin resistance as far as I
know.
We used to, as kids play either electricity of course, back then health and
safety were not even thought about. The old buzzer and transformer in the
pocket and leaving charged capacitors around the workplace were normal back
then.

Some females, shock horror said it was erotic. Well I'd not noticed myself
but I guess it depends on the frame of mind and what brain chemicals are
sloshing about at the time.
On to heat though, apparently you can take more heat and cold if you swear
a lot during the exposure.
This is another way to generate those brain chemicals which do not need a
member of the opposite sex.
However strangeness abounds, I can well recall when Accidentally sat on
some hot solder it felt like an itch for maybe 15 seconds before I felt the
pain. By then of course it was too late and I got a blister in an
unfortunate place. lets just say I did not feel like riding horses for a
while.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"polygonum" wrote in message
On 03/07/2016 01:51, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Get tested for Diabetes.
Brian

Get tested for thyroid issues.

At least two out of two hypothyroid people in this house used to receive
far more, and more unpleasant, static belts when under-medicated.

Never have found a decent explanation.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed. However my original comment is about diabetes, as diabetic
neuropathy can reduce the feelings in extremities like fingers and toes, so
it pays to get it checked.
However I'm told by my doctor that most of us do not drink enough water.
Brian

--
----- -