Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Five lever lock matters

I fitted two five lever mortise locks on the front door of a friend who lives 130 miles from me, one a sashlock and one a deadlock, both by ERA and keyed alike.

I now find that she no longer trusts someone with whom she left a key for emergencies and doesn't want to claim the key back from them and anyway she can't be totally sure they've not made a copy.

I've been pondering the options - if there were any decent locksmiths nearby I'd take both locks there and get them to swap the levers round but there aren't so it's either new locks or maybe add a third lock?

Anyone got any better ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 13:20:36 -0700, Murmansk wrote:

I fitted two five lever mortise locks on the front door of a friend who
lives 130 miles from me, one a sashlock and one a deadlock, both by ERA
and keyed alike.

I now find that she no longer trusts someone with whom she left a key
for emergencies and doesn't want to claim the key back from them and
anyway she can't be totally sure they've not made a copy.

I've been pondering the options - if there were any decent locksmiths
nearby I'd take both locks there and get them to swap the levers round
but there aren't so it's either new locks or maybe add a third lock?

Anyone got any better ideas?

I'd take new locks, bring the old ones back home, swap the levers at your
leaisure, and then you have them ready for next time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I fitted two five lever mortise locks on the front door of a friend who
lives 130 miles from me, one a sashlock and one a deadlock, both by ERA and keyed alike.

I now find that she no longer trusts someone with whom she left a key for
emergencies and doesn't want to claim the key back from them and anyway
she can't be totally sure they've not made a copy.

I've been pondering the options - if there were any decent locksmiths
nearby I'd take both locks there and get them to swap the levers round
but there aren't so it's either new locks

Maybe

or maybe add a third lock?

Definitely not. This way madness lies. She clearly has insecurity/paranoia
issues already. Adding more locks will not help. She only needs one good
lock.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 June 2016 21:50:36 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Murmansk wrote:

I fitted two five lever mortise locks on the front door of a friend who
lives 130 miles from me, one a sashlock and one a deadlock, both by ERA and keyed alike.

I now find that she no longer trusts someone with whom she left a key for
emergencies and doesn't want to claim the key back from them and anyway
she can't be totally sure they've not made a copy.

I've been pondering the options - if there were any decent locksmiths
nearby I'd take both locks there and get them to swap the levers round
but there aren't so it's either new locks
or maybe add a third lock?

For some locks you can get sets of levers & key.
Or swap the levers yourself & have a locksmith cut new key. If the lock is of the sort where you can swap them.

Definitely not. This way madness lies. She clearly has insecurity/paranoia
issues already. Adding more locks will not help. She only needs one good
lock.

someone's imagination appears to have run away with them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2016 21:20, Murmansk wrote:

I've been pondering the options - if there were any decent locksmiths nearby I'd take both locks there and get them
to swap the levers round but there aren't so it's either new locks or maybe add a third lock?

Locksmiths are hard to find. I think this is because they often operate
from vans, so you could likely arrange for one to visit her. There would
of course be a call out charge.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

[...]

Well exactly.

It so mimics some one I knew's descent into dementia.

Hard to know what you're replying to when NT has completely ****ed up the
quoting.

Do you think fitting three locks is sensible or necessary or is the request
for multiple locks and key changes a sign of impending dementia (which I
would agree with).

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:18:37 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Do you think fitting three locks is sensible or necessary or is the
request for multiple locks and key changes a sign of impending dementia
(which I would agree with).

The third lock seems like a bodge solution by the OP rather than a
request fuelled by dementia.

The other two...if 'sash lock' means a 'slam and lock' one, then
combining that with a mortice is not uncommon. The former for when you're
in during the day, the mortice for added security at night or when out.

I reckon taking spare locks, then fixing the removed ones later, is the
easiest and cheapest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OP here

Thanks for the thoughts.

The person in question is not the bundle of paranoid neurosis you might imagine at all! It's the person she gave a spare key to who might be more in need of clinical examination!

I only thought of the third lock option as a cheaper means of making the place secure should the holder of the key to the other two locks decide to call round when nobody was in.

I think in the end we'll either leave it or maybe just get a pair of identical locks online and swap them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The other two...if 'sash lock' means a 'slam and lock' one, then
combining that with a mortice is not uncommon. The former for when you're
in during the day, the mortice for added security at night or when out.

One is a plain five lever mortise lock the other is a similar lock that has a square hole for the shaft between door handles to go through - designed to be mounted under a pair of lever door handles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/18/2016 9:23 AM, Michael Chare wrote:
On 17/06/2016 21:20, Murmansk wrote:

I've been pondering the options - if there were any decent locksmiths
nearby I'd take both locks there and get them
to swap the levers round but there aren't so it's either new locks or
maybe add a third lock?

Locksmiths are hard to find. I think this is because they often operate
from vans, so you could likely arrange for one to visit her. There would
of course be a call out charge.

I'd suggest that too, I was thinking about breaking an upstairs window
when a friend locked himself out on a Sunday evening, turned out we have
a locksmith within a mile or so who sorted him out for £80. Bargain!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

[...]

quoting checked & correct

NT

Wiki: Rekey a lever lock [email protected] UK diy 12 October 10th 13 05:47 PM
Battery matters Davey UK diy 100 February 24th 13 12:55 PM
Info on lever operated compound lock mod? Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 August 8th 09 05:57 PM
Xerox Workcenter copier xe80 tray lock lever broken W. Watson Home Repair 1 December 26th 05 04:56 AM
Size matters...! Kenneth Woodworking 11 December 9th 04 03:46 PM