Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So, the water came through the kitchen ceiling

When we had some heavy rain last year, some water came through
the kitchen ceiling. At the time I thought it was a problem of cracked
mortar on the coping of a wall above. Anyway, it did it again this year,
so I thought I'd have to do something about it when the rain stopped and
the tiles dried out. Came home on Tuesday and it was pouring down,
that's when I noticed the flood spurting out from the end of the
guttering and over the coping. I also noticed the 20inch plant growing
from the downpipe at roof level. I sent a grandchild up yesterday, as I
am banned from walking on roofs if she is around, who removed the
offending plant and the pile of moss blocking the downpipe. After a
quick hose down, the guttering is now doing it's job and hopefully the
kitchen will stay dry. I guess I'll have to caulk the mortar joints
soon, but that's only a 20 minute job whilst she is out! Can we please
nuisance!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2016 23:14, Capitol wrote:
Can we please
nuisance!

Is that the cause? I've lived in my house for over 20 years. In the last
few, I've noticed that on the single-storey, pitched title roof of my
kitchen, we have a good amount of moss, but this has only happenned for
the last few years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure, it could be climate change perhaps, but something has obviously
changed as the concrete outside my back door never had moss for over 15
years, but in the last 5 its terrible. I do not think all of a sudden that
the concrete has become more porous than it was.
Maybe its sticky water? :-)

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
On 16/06/2016 23:14, Capitol wrote:
Can we please
nuisance!

Is that the cause? I've lived in my house for over 20 years. In the last
few, I've noticed that on the single-storey, pitched title roof of my
kitchen, we have a good amount of moss, but this has only happenned for
the last few years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

A remedy (allegedly) is to run a length of exposed copper along the
ridge (wire or flat strip but I guess wire is easier to come by; strip
some old 2.5mm cable). The very slow bleed of copper as it corrodes is
apparently enough to prevent moss growing. Quite how you're supposed
to fix it, I'll leave others to suggest!

Has anybody actually done this?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 08:48:35 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

A remedy (allegedly) is to run a length of exposed copper along the
ridge (wire or flat strip but I guess wire is easier to come by; strip
some old 2.5mm cable). The very slow bleed of copper as it corrodes is
apparently enough to prevent moss growing. Quite how you're supposed
to fix it, I'll leave others to suggest!

Has anybody actually done this?

Chris

Years back on this newsgroup there was a contributor on this group who
did such a thing as part of a business, based in Scotland ISTR.
possibly they supplied copper ridge "Tiles" which are another way of
getting copper up there.
Perhaps though these remedys just replace green /brown moss with
green/brown copper stains though a stain will be unlikely to roll off
and block a gutter.

Shelf adhesive copper tapes are sold in various grades. Ones sold for
dolls house lighting would not be suitable as not weatherproof but
some types are sold as suitable for the task being discussed.
Easier to lay flat than a bit of old cable .

Now just for fun to see if rubbing the Tom lamp works.
I wonder if copper strip on the roof will act as a lightning
conductor.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/06/2016 08:48, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

A remedy (allegedly) is to run a length of exposed copper along the
ridge (wire or flat strip but I guess wire is easier to come by; strip
some old 2.5mm cable). The very slow bleed of copper as it corrodes is
apparently enough to prevent moss growing. Quite how you're supposed
to fix it, I'll leave others to suggest!

Has anybody actually done this?

Chris

We had a copper roof once, until the house burnt down! Not a trace of moss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

Window strip for burglar alarms perhaps?

Now just for fun to see if rubbing the Tom lamp works.
I wonder if copper strip on the roof will act as a lightning conductor.

LOL!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Not sure, it could be climate change perhaps, but something has obviously
changed as the concrete outside my back door never had moss for over 15
years, but in the last 5 its terrible. I do not think all of a sudden
that the concrete has become more porous than it was. Maybe its sticky
water? :-)

perhaps cleaner air?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

You should be able to get adhesive copper strips in a garden centre which are supposed to deter slugs and snails. Not sure they work but the adhesive is pretty sticky.

Jonathan

Best paint to use on kitchen ceiling? Fredxxx UK diy 26 July 19th 15 12:37 PM
Painting Kitchen ceiling Gogs UK diy 5 September 22nd 05 06:53 PM
Painting Kitchen ceiling Gogs UK diy 1 September 20th 05 08:43 AM
New kitchen ceiling questions [email protected] UK diy 3 November 5th 04 08:14 AM
water stains on kitchen ceiling along side chminey brickwork Chris Home Repair 0 February 24th 04 08:16 AM