Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting an outside tap

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:35:30 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim k wrote:

Jackson Wrote in message:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Ptfe tape on the threads :-)

Yes - but how does that ensure that when you tighten the tap up it is at 12
o'clock and not half past six?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jackson" wrote in message
news

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure
that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not
move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

It isnt that critical to screw it in very tightly to the wall plate so
it doesn't leak, it wont leak if you use the last little bit to get
the tap vertical if you do it properly with tape on the thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jackson Wrote in message:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you
ensure that the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so
that it will not move or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Ptfe tape on the threads :-)

Yes - but how does that ensure that when you tighten the tap up it is
at 12 o'clock and not half past six?

Add a bit more tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jackson Wrote in message:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure
that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not
move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Ptfe tape on the threads :-)

Yes - but how does that ensure that when you tighten the tap up it is at
12
o'clock and not half past six?

It allows the tap to seal completely over quite a few degrees of rotation.

If it isnt reasonably tight when vertical, you can put some more tape on
the thread so it is tight when vertical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:27:51 +0100, Jackson wrote:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

PTFE tape will/may leak if turned backwards. Loctite 555 thread says it can be
turned back up to 45° without leaking...

(Or use hemp.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/16 06:49, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:27:51 +0100, Jackson wrote:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

PTFE tape will/may leak if turned backwards.

You don't turn it backwards

Loctite 555 thread says it can be

What's 555? I can't find it on the Loctite site.

turned back up to 45° without leaking...

(Or use hemp.)

Not allowed on potable plumbing - unless it's the hemp replacement which
is PTFE "fluff" or "string"

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 16/06/16 06:49, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:27:51 +0100, Jackson wrote:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will
not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

PTFE tape will/may leak if turned backwards.

You don't turn it backwards

Loctite 555 thread says it can be

What's 555? I can't find it on the Loctite site.

I think he means 55 :-) It's PTFE cord.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-408...=8802627059713

turned back up to 45° without leaking...

(Or use hemp.)

Not allowed on potable plumbing - unless it's the hemp replacement
which is PTFE "fluff" or "string"

See above.

I find it works well.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jackson Wrote in message:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure
that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will
not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Ptfe tape on the threads :-)

Yes - but how does that ensure that when you tighten the tap up it is at
12
o'clock and not half past six?

It allows the tap to seal completely over quite a few degrees of rotation.

If it isnt reasonably tight when vertical, you can put some more tape on
the thread so it is tight when vertical.

Or just wind it in one more thread.

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jackson Wrote in message:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you
ensure that the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so
that it will not move or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Ptfe tape on the threads :-)

Yes - but how does that ensure that when you tighten the tap up it is
at 12 o'clock and not half past six?

If you are using PTFE tape you do not need to tighten up "hard" for it to
stay water tight. Just tighten it until it is holding firm and the tap is
vertical. Turn on water full, leave to run for some time, turn off and
leave for about an hour and then check for leaks. If there are leaks then
remove tap and PTFE completely and then start again with new PTFE as the
old will have been damaged.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:33:03 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

I think he means 55 :-) It's PTFE cord.

Yup -- confused it with the similar cure-all IC, maybe.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jackson wrote:
When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you
ensure that the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so
that it will not move or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Tighten it up onto the wall plate beforehand, offer up to the wall, mark the
screw holes with a pencil, drill, plugs then screw it on, then plumb to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Ptfe tape on the threads :-)

Yes - but how does that ensure that when you tighten the tap up it is at 12
o'clock and not half past six?

It just needs to be tight enough to make sure that it doesn't;
a) leak
b) move of its own accord

It will get even tighter over time - corrosion, etc.

Personally, I prefer Boss White and hemp over PTFE tape for joints where
alignment matters. Greater tightness vs number of turns.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:

When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you
ensure that
the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will
not move
or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?

Ptfe tape on the threads :-)

Yes - but how does that ensure that when you tighten the tap up it is
at 12
o'clock and not half past six?

It just needs to be tight enough to make sure that it doesn't;
a) leak
b) move of its own accord

It will get even tighter over time - corrosion, etc.

Personally, I prefer Boss White and hemp over PTFE tape for joints where
alignment matters. Greater tightness vs number of turns.

But for the record, I have to interject with "not on potable systems".
It's OK for heating - but the hemp itself has been regulated away as a
breeding ground for bugs.

There are potable versions of Boss White - Boss Green is one (though I
find it not very good) - and there's a PTFE variant of hemp, though not
at all common.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2016 18:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/06/16 15:50, Roger Mills wrote:

Personally, I prefer Boss White and hemp over PTFE tape for joints where
alignment matters. Greater tightness vs number of turns.

But for the record, I have to interject with "not on potable systems".
It's OK for heating - but the hemp itself has been regulated away as a
breeding ground for bugs.

Is that an EU regulation - which we will be able to dump post-Brexit?

Seriously though, whilst you *could* drink water from outside taps, most
people use them for garden hoses or car washing - so this wouldn't be an
issue in practice. If it *is*, stick a "Not Drinking Water" notice on
the tap.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:58:24 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Is that an EU regulation - which we will be able to dump post-Brexit?

No, legal in Germany. Rough up threads, wind on hemp, tighten with wire brush,
add a paste which I think is chalk and mineral oil.

Allowable for gas, potable water, and heating. Though mostly proprietary
crimp-fit systems are used for new installs now, often with stainless steel
tubing, rather than the threaded galvanized steel that goes with hemp.

Hemp's more trouble and more skill required than Loctite 55, but is much, much
cheaper. Loctite is the thing to use if it's just a thread to seal here and
there...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/16/2016 9:18 PM, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:58:24 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Is that an EU regulation - which we will be able to dump post-Brexit?

No, legal in Germany. Rough up threads, wind on hemp, tighten with wire brush,
add a paste which I think is chalk and mineral oil.

Allowable for gas, potable water, and heating. Though mostly proprietary
crimp-fit systems are used for new installs now, often with stainless steel
tubing, rather than the threaded galvanized steel that goes with hemp.

Hemp's more trouble and more skill required than Loctite 55, but is much, much
cheaper. Loctite is the thing to use if it's just a thread to seal here and
there...

Thomas Prufer

Another +1 for the Loctite. It will last you forever (and not go claggy
and mucky in the toolbox, like the hemp).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 16/06/2016 18:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/06/16 15:50, Roger Mills wrote:

Personally, I prefer Boss White and hemp over PTFE tape for joints where
alignment matters. Greater tightness vs number of turns.

But for the record, I have to interject with "not on potable systems".
It's OK for heating - but the hemp itself has been regulated away as a
breeding ground for bugs.

Is that an EU regulation - which we will be able to dump post-Brexit?

Seriously though, whilst you *could* drink water from outside taps, most
people use them for garden hoses or car washing - so this wouldn't be an
issue in practice. If it *is*, stick a "Not Drinking Water" notice on the
tap.

Makes a lot more sense to use PTFE tape instead.

Fitting a CM 927 Lawrie Davidson[_2_] UK diy 3 March 18th 14 04:00 PM
Fitting a DPM James Varty UK diy 7 January 15th 06 05:30 PM
Retro fitting TRV's - new valve fitting type Tony Collins UK diy 5 November 27th 04 01:12 PM
Fitting a hob Ben Blaukopf UK diy 3 November 22nd 03 10:20 PM
What gas fitting Alan Campbell UK diy 1 July 7th 03 12:00 AM