Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Varty

Default Fitting a DPM

I'm considering fitting this myself in my garage and covering with a
screed - floor is currently damp and uneven. Any suggestions as to a good
place to buy a DPM / jointing tape, etc?

Cheers

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

James Varty wrote:

I'm considering fitting this myself in my garage and covering with a
screed - floor is currently damp and uneven. Any suggestions as to a
good place to buy a DPM / jointing tape, etc?

Cheers

James

If you already have a solid surface, you can get some bitumen-type liquid
which you simply paint on, and then screed over. That may be easier than
laying/joining sheet material. The paint-on variety was used when part of my
garage was converted into a utility room - and it seems perfectly ok 16
years later.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Merryterry

I'm considering fitting this myself in my garage and covering with a
screed - floor is currently damp and uneven. Any suggestions as to a
good place to buy a DPM / jointing tape, etc?

Cheers

James

If you already have a solid surface, you can get some bitumen-type liquid

which you simply paint on, and then screed over. That may be easier
than
laying/joining sheet material. The paint-on variety was used when part
of my
garage was converted into a utility room - and it seems perfectly ok 16
years later.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Trouble with bitumen type liquid is they seal the damp in the brickwork
and the pointing will degrade. Consider injecting a proprietory
chemical DPC into the brickwork. The injecting kit can be hired from
Hire Shops and they will also sell you the chemicals.

It is dead easy to do.

Good luck

Merryterry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Varty wrote:
I'm considering fitting this myself in my garage and covering with a
screed - floor is currently damp and uneven. Any suggestions as to a good
place to buy a DPM / jointing tape, etc?

Cheers

James

Assuming I've understood right that you want to dpm a concrete floor,
not walls, I'd just use a waterproofer. Have done that twice now, good
results each time. Concrete is quite happy staying wet. One that soaks
in and is clear will look much nicer than bitumen.

This is not a good approach to use with brick walls though.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

"James Varty" wrote in message
I'm considering fitting this myself in my garage and covering with a
screed - floor is currently damp and uneven. Any suggestions as to a good
place to buy a DPM / jointing tape, etc?

Rolls of DPM are cheap in any builders merchants. ... you don't need tape ,
just overlap by at least 300mm. a couple of strips of gaffer tape will help
hold things in place while you lat the screed.
Do you have a DPC in the garage walls ? if so make sure that the DPM laps
up the edges and you don't end up with the edge of the screed touching
brickwork that is below to DPC.

Ideally DPM and DPC should be on the same level, and then screed is laid
above the DPC level, but not imperative if you have DPM lapped up sides of
screed.

How are you going to treat the garage entrance ... remember that the edge of
a screed will not take car traffic.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Varty

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

Do you have a DPC in the garage walls ? if so make sure that the DPM
laps up the edges and you don't end up with the edge of the screed
touching brickwork that is below to DPC.

I'm quite sure that there isn't a DPC in the walls.
I'm planning to put the DPM up the walls as well (not totally sure how yet,
but at least 1 metre up before I drywall the garage). I thought tanking the
garage using a physical DPM would be the best way of ensuring the damp is
kept at bay. The walls are only one brick thick and not rendered on the
outside on two sides, which I think is why its getting damp. Once I've got
the garage in a fairly dry state I'm going to build a small drum practice
booth in there using plasterboard on a 2 x 4 frame.

The 2 options I'm considering are a physical DPM or doing a few coats of
bitumen half way up all walls and the floor. Not totally sure which way
would the cheapest, easiest or most effective!