Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Fitting an outside tap

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:58:24 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Is that an EU regulation - which we will be able to dump post-Brexit?

No, legal in Germany. Rough up threads, wind on hemp, tighten with wire brush,
add a paste which I think is chalk and mineral oil.

Allowable for gas, potable water, and heating. Though mostly proprietary
crimp-fit systems are used for new installs now, often with stainless steel
tubing, rather than the threaded galvanized steel that goes with hemp.

Hemp's more trouble and more skill required than Loctite 55, but is much, much
cheaper. Loctite is the thing to use if it's just a thread to seal here and
there...

Thomas Prufer