Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fix garage door?

Seeing another post about a garage door has reminded me that my mum and
dad's garage door is knackered. I didn't have time to look at it
properly when I was last there, but I'd like to be prepared for next
time. The main problem is that it doesn't come up properly. It opens
maybe a third of the way, and then you have to heave it up the rest of
the way. Even then, it wants to come back down again. There is a long
thick horizontal spring that twists as the door goes up and down, and
I'm guessing that it has come undone in some way and lost tension. It
doesn't seem to be broken. Can anyone suggest something I can do with
it next time I'm there? Or is it impossible to fix without some kind of
tensioning tool?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 June 2016 12:41:04 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Seeing another post about a garage door has reminded me that my mum and
dad's garage door is knackered. I didn't have time to look at it
properly when I was last there, but I'd like to be prepared for next
time. The main problem is that it doesn't come up properly. It opens
maybe a third of the way, and then you have to heave it up the rest of
the way. Even then, it wants to come back down again. There is a long
thick horizontal spring that twists as the door goes up and down, and
I'm guessing that it has come undone in some way and lost tension. It
doesn't seem to be broken. Can anyone suggest something I can do with
it next time I'm there? Or is it impossible to fix without some kind of
tensioning tool?

Those Hendersons don't last so well. If you can't fix the mechanism readily, I like the arm & counterweight type best.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Seeing another post about a garage door has reminded me that my mum and
dad's garage door is knackered. I didn't have time to look at it
properly when I was last there, but I'd like to be prepared for next
time. The main problem is that it doesn't come up properly. It opens
maybe a third of the way, and then you have to heave it up the rest of
the way. Even then, it wants to come back down again. There is a long
thick horizontal spring that twists as the door goes up and down, and
I'm guessing that it has come undone in some way and lost tension. It
doesn't seem to be broken. Can anyone suggest something I can do with
it next time I'm there? Or is it impossible to fix without some kind of
tensioning tool?

Could be a broken spring or simply one of the cables broken.
Just possible that a cable has come off a pulley or the pulley pivot
sheared off.
Take enough photos on the next visit to identify the make and model,
perhaps using google image search so you can get the spare parts. there
are web companies that supply bits for legacy doors of the common makes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/16 12:41, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Seeing another post about a garage door has reminded me that my mum and
dad's garage door is knackered. I didn't have time to look at it
properly when I was last there, but I'd like to be prepared for next
time. The main problem is that it doesn't come up properly. It opens
maybe a third of the way, and then you have to heave it up the rest of
the way. Even then, it wants to come back down again. There is a long
thick horizontal spring that twists as the door goes up and down, and
I'm guessing that it has come undone in some way and lost tension. It
doesn't seem to be broken. Can anyone suggest something I can do with
it next time I'm there? Or is it impossible to fix without some kind of
tensioning tool?

Lots of youTube videos, but for safety best find the instructions for
your door.

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GViKW0VrQ

Done it, replacing cones and cables as well. It's a two man job, pretty
dangerous if you slip with your spanner and unleash it all on your
knuckles and other parts.

Happily, we didn't - but I wasn't the one holding the spanner....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2016 12:41, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Seeing another post about a garage door has reminded me that my mum and
dad's garage door is knackered. I didn't have time to look at it
properly when I was last there, but I'd like to be prepared for next
time. The main problem is that it doesn't come up properly. It opens
maybe a third of the way, and then you have to heave it up the rest of
the way. Even then, it wants to come back down again. There is a long
thick horizontal spring that twists as the door goes up and down, and
I'm guessing that it has come undone in some way and lost tension. It
doesn't seem to be broken. Can anyone suggest something I can do with
it next time I'm there? Or is it impossible to fix without some kind of
tensioning tool?

Doesn't usually require special tools (just big balls and eye
protection) methods differ according to manufacturer/type but when you
know that have a look on youtube - lots of "how to's there"

eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9xuaSf26yQ

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9xuaSf26yQ

Sounds likely that the cables have jumped off the cone pulley - or even
snapped.

I found a local guy who fixed mine - he carried the spares. The spring
frigtened me a bit - I had adjusted it once - but it left me "respectful".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/06/2016 15:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9xuaSf26yQ

Sounds likely that the cables have jumped off the cone pulley - or even
snapped.

I found a local guy who fixed mine - he carried the spares. The spring
frigtened me a bit - I had adjusted it once - but it left me "respectful".

Yip spring or cable broken or unattached.
I have fitted new cables twice and springs once. It is easy enough but
you must have the correct instructions and proceed with caution.

Try and get some pictues of it and we maybe able to help further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 June 2016 13:21:47 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

TBH, I think it would even work better with the whole mechanism removed.
ATM, it actually prevents you from opening the thing up.

Long ago I used fishing line, a hook for it to go over and a weight made of random junk. It was for something smaller than a garage door. A bit crude, cost near zero, effective. Use a pulley on a nail instead of a hook & it works very well.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-06-14 15:03, DerbyBorn wrote:

I found a local guy who fixed mine - he carried the spares.

That's what I did. Handily, the original supplier had pasted
their number on the inside of the door so I got them to do it.

The spring frightened me a bit - I had adjusted it once -
but it left me "respectful".

There's enough energy in the spring to take your fingers off
so either make sure you have the correct instructions for
the door or get someone experienced in. This is not an area
of DIY where you can just work it out as you go along.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-06-14 15:03, DerbyBorn wrote:

I found a local guy who fixed mine - he carried the spares.

That's what I did. Handily, the original supplier had pasted
their number on the inside of the door so I got them to do it.

The spring frightened me a bit - I had adjusted it once -
but it left me "respectful".

There's enough energy in the spring to take your fingers off
so either make sure you have the correct instructions for
the door or get someone experienced in. This is not an area
of DIY where you can just work it out as you go along.

Mine uses two springs. replacing a failed cable was an interesting
experience with a lot of rope and levers involved.