Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Brexit: European Football

If we left the EU, can we pull out of needless European football?

Thank you.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
If we left the EU, can we pull out of needless European football?

Only 2 days to go:-)

I am backing England all the way

to fail at the second round.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 16:14:46 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

If we left the EU, can we pull out of needless European football?

Is any football 'needed', OOI?

I mean, if they paid doctors and surgeons the same sort of money they
give someone for kicking a ball (and wearing someone's pants / perfume
on TV) then I think we would attract a few more to the (worthwhile)
professions. ;-)

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong, 'jumpers for goalposts' and people having a some
fun, exercise, or even a bit of friendly competition is a good thing,
it's all the rest that I don't have any time for (with anything that
is *just* 'a sport' after all).

'Professional' and insert your chosen 'sport' participant here
should be an oxymoron (from my POV of course). ;-)

I like cycling, rowing, motorcycling and power kite flying but what I
like about them is *doing* them and wouldn't expect anyone to pay me
to do so or particularly enjoy watching anyone else doing them.

I can understand competitions where there is a trophy or even a bit of
cash but there is no reason why people couldn't still compete whilst
having a 'real / day' job. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

If we left the EU, can we pull out of needless European football?

Is any football 'needed', OOI?

I mean, if they paid doctors and surgeons the same sort of money they
give someone for kicking a ball (and wearing someone's pants / perfume
on TV) then I think we would attract a few more to the (worthwhile)
professions. ;-)

I think you will find that your average doctor and surgeon is better paid
than most professional footballers and that thay have more chance of a
longer career at higher wages.

Once you get down to league two players then they are below doctors and
surgeons wages.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:42:01 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If we left the EU, can we pull out of needless European football?

Is any football 'needed', OOI?

I mean, if they paid doctors and surgeons the same sort of money they
give someone for kicking a ball (and wearing someone's pants / perfume
on TV) then I think we would attract a few more to the (worthwhile)
professions. ;-)

I think you will find that your average doctor and surgeon is better paid
than most professional footballers and that thay have more chance of a
longer career at higher wages.

Once you get down to league two players then they are below doctors and
surgeons wages.

Whilst you are probably right, IMHO there shouldn't even be a
discussion on it (the wages), it's just 'a game' after all. ;-)

Get some expenses, maybe get the kit free, have a game at the weekend
and back to work on Monday.

And the spectators ... friends and family of the players and maybe
some people from the local town ... except that probably can't work
any more. Even if the 'players' 'playing' their 'game' did so for
nothing, the grounds have to be paid for and these days, if they can't
make it pay they close the ground and build flats instead.

I'm assuming in the old days matches would be played on the local
(public) 'rec' or someone would put up a basic stadium as long as it
had their name on the front?

I think we do still have public fields with goal posts but I can't say
I've ever seen anyone using them (but then I've not really looked).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 19:50:35 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , T i m
wrote:

I like cycling, rowing, motorcycling and power kite flying but what I
like about them is *doing* them and wouldn't expect anyone to pay me
to do so or particularly enjoy watching anyone else doing them.

Well quite, especially since none of them is worth a fart from a
spectator PoV. Add swimming, skiing (x-country, downhill, and jumping),
car racing, dog racing, horse racing, marathons to the fart list too.

;-)

I break it down into a few groups:

*People* showing off on their own.

*People* showing off in gangs.

*People* making animals do stuff they may not want to (and often
disposing of them when thy simply refuse or aren't good enough).

I'm not sure I'd put 'machine racing' (except cycling / rowing as the
people are the engine again) in any of the above.

With car racing it's a mixture of the machine, the support crew and
the person driving (who can't show off that much inside a box) and
someone who doesn't have the option of being 'an athlete can still
compete (if competition floats your boat).

Like, when I was 15 I was 9 stone, 6'+ tall and had the stamina to row
or cycle all day long. What I couldn't do is run or swim very far
because I could never get enough oxygen (and I have never smoked).

I could do a reasonable 100m because I could do it on one breath or a
long cross country but nothing in-between.

So, partly because of that I was never involved so interested in most
'sports' and therefore focused on more 'practical' things.

Therefore, like religion / politics or (say) football, it's not 'them'
that I don't like (I don't actually GAF about any of them from a hobby
or interest pov) it's the bad stuff that's associated with them (like
the trouble or the money).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 22:06:06 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

Therefore, like religion / politics or (say) football, it's not 'them'
that I don't like (I don't actually GAF about any of them from a hobby
or interest pov) it's the bad stuff that's associated with them (like
the trouble or the money).

Well quite. If these folk want to do these things, I have no problem
provided it does not inconvenience me.

Quite.

Footballers, swimmers, and
racing car folks provide their own space for the process.

Yup, although their followers can often be a bit of a nuisance.

Cyclists and
marathoners have yet to understand this concept, for reasons that
escape me.

Like I said, how else will they be able to show off just how fit they
are. ;-)

The thing with all this stuff, like with singing or anything really
.... I bet there are more talented people out there who aren't
interested in taking it further (than for their own fun / lives) who
would be better than what we consider to be 'our best'.

So you aren't the 'fastest 100m runner in the world'. You are the
fastest 100m runner who happened to be there on the day.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
If we left the EU, can we pull out of needless European football?

Thank you.

I'll be spending the next however long, trying to keep the crap off our
screen.

Brexit [email protected] UK diy 76 September 28th 15 10:41 AM
Brexit [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 26th 15 02:34 PM
Football Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 37 June 21st 14 09:06 PM
OT. EU and Brexit harryagain[_2_] UK diy 5 April 12th 14 04:51 PM
Football Mary Fisher UK diy 101 June 22nd 06 04:44 PM